Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

In Aereo’s wake, Fox targets Dish’s TV streaming service

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Has Sling been challenged in court before?  It isn't new technology.  Sling was around for a long time before Dish bought them.  IF this was something that broadcasters were "worried" about, it seems like they would have fought this battle a lot earlier.  I'm wondering at what point established-precedent will take place.

Like protecting your trademarks and copyrights... IF you allow someone to use your trademark/copyright for years in a public manner and do not try to get them to stop, you at some point essentially lose the right to enforce that particular trademark/copyright because you have allowed it to slip into public domain.

I wonder at what point the lack of legal effort to stop Sling technology in years past catches up to the networks?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I would ask that everyone harken back to the OP and see what Fox is actually pursuing (hint: it ISN'T placeshifting).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#43 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Has Sling been challenged in court before?

They have been challenged on patent issues, but not copyright issues. Place shifting is considered fair use. Any offences come from those who misuse the technology.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,791 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

I would ask that everyone harken back to the OP and see what Fox is actually pursuing (hint: it ISN'T placeshifting).

Sure it is ... although Fox may be too thick to understand it. What DISH is actually doing is using Sling technology to "placeshift" from the user's own home receiving equipment (owned or leased by one customer, not shared with any other customer). This allows users to watch any channel they subscribe to at home or content previously recorded on their DISH equipment while away from home. There are additional issue Fox has with DISH (allowing DISH users to copy content to a portable device and linking DISH users to Fox provided public streaming of Fox content) but Fox is complaining about "placeshifting" along with everything else they can find to complain about.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Actually, what fox is really doing when you get right down to the bottom line is... They are complaining because with sling, dish has no incentive to pay them for FOX go. And they want to get rid of what they feel is a legal loophole to give dish that incentive. I hope FOX loses.
  • PCampbell likes this

#46 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Aereo thinks they can broadcast again according to CNET.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#47 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Just rec'd this:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed a lower court's September 2013 rejection of the Fox Broadcasting Company's efforts to bar DISH subscribers from using two place-shifting features found on DISH's Hopper® Whole-Home DVR platform: DISH AnywhereTM and Hopper TransfersTM.

The following statement is attributable to R. Stanton Dodge, DISH executive vice president and general counsel:

"Today's decision is the fifth in a string of victories for consumers related to our Hopper® Whole-Home DVR platform. DISH is pleased that the Court has sided again with consumer choice and control by rejecting Fox's efforts to deny our customers access to the DISH Anywhere and Hopper Transfers features. Last year, the Ninth Circuit also rejected Fox's attempt to block customers from using the AutoHop and PrimeTime Anytime features. We will continue to vigorously defend consumers' right to choice and control over their viewing experience."

DISH Anywhere, using Sling technology built into DISH's Hopper with Sling® Whole-Home DVR, provides a DISH customer, once they receive a television signal in their home, the capability to remotely view that signal from a single Internet-connected device (mobile phone, tablet or PC). Sling technology has been available since 2005 and Fox's motion was the first to seek to enjoin it.

With the Hopper Transfers feature, a DISH customer can move or duplicate certain Hopper DVR recordings made by the customer to an iPad; and unlike DISH Anywhere, no Internet connection is needed for viewing.

DISH statements regarding prior Court decisions regarding DISH's Hopper:

September 23, 2013: DISH Applauds Decision Allowing Consumers to Continue to Enjoy Place-Shifting Technology

September 18, 2013: Federal Judge Denies ABC Call to Bar Hopper Features

July 24, 2013: Court of Appeals Upholds DISH Hopper Ruling

Nov. 7, 2012: DISH Cheers Ruling on AutoHop, PrimeTime Anytime

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiaries, provides approximately 14.097 million pay-TV subscribers, as of March 31, 2014, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. Subscribers enjoy a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dish.com.

• mnassour likes this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

Here's an article on it:

http://arstechnica.c...win-over-aereo/

#49 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Dish allows me to stream Washington DC TV stations that I receive over the air from my Dish Network owned 722K.  I don't pay for these channels because they are outside of my market (Baltimore).  Also, when we lost WBAL for a day due to contract issues, I was able to stream WBAL over the air from my 722K.  I don't see how this is different from Aereo except that I own the antenna.  However, if I lived in an apartment that had an antenna that was connected to my apartment, I wouldn't own the antenna either.  This isn't very different from Aereo, except I can't claim Aereo as my residence.  Maybe that is the difference that makes the 722K legal and Aereo illegal.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

Streaming content from your receiver and service that you pay for is completely different than what Aereo was doing...  it's just not a valid comparison.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...