Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with choices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   klyon

klyon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSoutheast, NY

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

I must be getting old because this stuff used to come easy to me.  While the Dish road is sometimes bumpy, I've stuck with it.  With the wireless Joey it solves a long time problem I've had and that is how to get HD signal in a room with difficult connectivity

I currently have 2 722's (722 w/sling  & 722K) used as follows.

722k dedicated to the living room TV

722 is in the master bedroom with sling used for that TV (occasional evening only) and the coax feeds 1 other room upstairs.  Sling is not used often but it's on that receiver as to not interfere with the main 722K

So to upgrade with Hopper and Joey's.  I think that I would really like 1 Hopper with Sling, and 2 wireless Joey's.  I think that would let me do what I want to do.  The upstairs bedroom receiver is not used often.  My chat with Dish, he thought I might want 2 hoppers?  What does that buy me?  Do the joey's talk to BOTH hoppers, not sure I need 2 of them.

The goal is if possible reduce my monthly bill, wonder if that is possible?

Karl in Putnam County NY
Dish models (722, 722K, 211K - Tailgater)
Sony 46" Bravia XBR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klyon

klyon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSoutheast, NY

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Oh... and a follow up question.  Can I move the EHD from my 722K to the Hopper to keep my recordings?

Karl in Putnam County NY
Sony 46" Bravia XBR

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

The EHD will work with your Hopper and existing recordings should be fine.  There have been some bugs, but usually those have been bugs when people tried to transfer a recording from the EHD to a Hopper and not for just playback.

A Hopper has 3 SAT tuners, and can also have 1 OTA tuner through a USB add-on.  You can use 1 of those SAT tuners for ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC LiLs so you have a lot of flexibility to watch and record multiple simultaneous channels.

With your two 722 receivers you currently have a total of 4 SAT tuners and up to 3 OTA tuners (assuming you have the OTA module in the 722K).

So it depends on how you look at it... technically you will be losing a couple of OTA tuners (which you may not be using anyway) and definitely losing 1 SAT tuner... but IF you watch a lot of your LiLs then you have the functionality of 2 non-LiL channels + 4 LiL channels simultaneously.  Worst case you would be down a SAT tuner, best case you come out ahead.

The only way to be sure you are ahead... would be having 2 Hoppers.  Each Hopper can see each other's recordings and you would have 6 SAT tuners that way.  The Joeys can see either Hopper (only link to one Hopper at a time).

Hopefully that info helps.  If you are looking to save money, you are right to use 1 Hopper and multiple Joeys since Joeys are cheaper... but if you need the extra tuners, then 2 Hoppers is the way to go.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

If tuners are important, a second Hopper or a Super Joey should be considered. If you don't watch a lot of live TV, I wouldn't worry about it but suggest that you put your network recordings at a higher priority so they don't get aced out by something that will show four times in the next seven days.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   klyon

klyon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSoutheast, NY

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Thank you for the feedback.  I don't think that the extra tuners are important to me, just have to update one of my old TV's and I'll get my Hopper.

Karl in Putnam County NY
Sony 46" Bravia XBR

#6 OFFLINE   zerdian1

zerdian1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • Locationsouth florida

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Having two Hoppers would be my preferred choice. 

I used both Hoppers in home with 3 TVs and in home with 5 TVs. 

The Hopper costs $12/mo and the Joey costs $7/mo. 

I do not have a super Joey.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...