Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any reason to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

My current setup:
SWM16
HR34 in great room with one genie c31 in guest bedroom
HR22 in master bedroom
HR21 in basement
R22 in cabin, only used when we are traveling.
All are hard wired to coax, with Ethernet connection to hr34 only. R22 is on a separate satellite system, connected directly to the dish.
I do have the protection plan.

I called today to ask about discounts on Sunday ticket. Not only was I given a sweet discount on Sunday ticket and hbo free for 3 months, I was told I was up for equipment upgrade. CR offered to upgrade to a new HR44 system, with wireless video bridge for $99, or upgrade any receiver to hddvr or upgrade hr34 to hr44 without any other equipment for free. This would of course extend my contract, I currently am out of contract come November.

Is there any good reason to do this? Worth extending my contract? My biggest frustration is how slow the HR34 is and I'm hoping the 44 might be faster. The wireless setup sounds interesting as I have a hot tub and large deck and could see putting a tv out there for special occasions.

Thoughts? Thanks!
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,602 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

there is no way to upgrade from a Genie to another Genie.  I dont even think there is a way to create a work order for another Genie since you already have one.  they are pulling your leg.  get the wireless if you  it or take an HDDVR.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Yes, the CSR is feeding you incorrect information. As far as DirecTV is concerned, the HR34 and HR44 are equivalent and you can't "upgrade". So your choices seem to be either upgrade a receiver to a DVR, or get a wireless Genie client/video bridge.

#4 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

Gotcha. Thanks! Don't have a need to get a new DVR and loos like I can get the wireless bridge online for $99 so I don't see any good reason to extend my contract for 2 years until a more substantive equipment upgrade is available.
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Gotcha. Thanks! Don't have a need to get a new DVR and loos like I can get the wireless bridge online for $99 so I don't see any good reason to extend my contract for 2 years until a more substantive equipment upgrade is available.

The wireless bridge does nothing without a wireless client! I suspect they were offering you a wireless client PLUS a bridge for $99. Usually $99 each..

#6 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice on this.  Just goes to show, yet again, that information from a CSR cannot be trusted.  From the posts above it appears that the recommendation to "upgrade" the HR 34 to a HR 44 was totally bogus.

I asked and was verified multiple times that I was receiving a deal of $50 for NFL Sunday ticket MAX for the season (not just the upgrade to MAX)- that was confirmed multiple times.  Lo and behold on my statement I have a $50 upgrade fee for MAX, plus the first of 6 payments at $39.99!!!  

After 2 calls and extended time on the phone with DirecTV, I was told that there is "nothing we can do," that that price is not available, and there were "no notes" on my account about the deal offered earlier.  Was offered the season and MAX for $191, but I declined.

And, my "free HBO" is costing me $9.59 for a partial month charge.  They "say" it will be refunded after 3 months, but why do I doubt?  I also was told when I accepted the free package that it would cancel automatically after the 3 month period - today I was told that I would have to call back and cancel or it would auto-renew.

This is not the first time this has happened - I should know better than ever to trust a CSR.

Really, I should know better than to be a DirecTV customer...On hold with retention now.

LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

spam firewall