Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

has anyone ordered from dishbuys?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think this is the law.  They might not have to tell, but they have to mark the equipment as such 

I wouldn't think so, cable companies never distinguish new equipment from re-used equipment, unless it's different for satellite providers somehow.

Edited by keenan, 06 July 2014 - 12:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,886 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I wouldn't think so, cable companies never distinguish new equipment from re-used equipment, unless it's different for satellite providers somehow.

I would think so since cable companies never charge for equipment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm almost 100% positive they don't have to state anything when it not your equipment.
Those rules only apply when equipment is up for sale, not lease.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#24 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

And since DirecTV® may not know where that equipment may end up, either directly in customers home through their network or perhaps through 3rd party dealers, they mark all of them 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

I think this is the law.  They might not have to tell, but they have to mark the equipment as such 

I think it is only the law if you buy something. Directv tries to let people know they are not buying receivers when they pay for them :)

When you receive a replacement wireless router, cell phone or whatever under the warranty, they don't mark them reconditioned even when they clearly are. I had a wireless router replaced last year and it was packaged as if it was new but there were some marks where someone had obviously wall mounted it.

A friend just recently had his GS4 replaced and was unhappy that there was a small scratch on the back, called to complain, and was told that they will ship either new or reconditioned phones at their option, and don't consider minor cosmetic defects to be a valid reason to exchange. He remembered me mentioning I'd my iPhone 5 replaced last year (sleep/wake button was not working reliably) and asked if I'd been shipped a reconditioned phone and I told him I had no idea. It was packaged like new, and looked/worked like new, but for all I know it might have been reconditioned. I've heard when Apple reconditions phones they replace the entire case (front and back) and the battery, so I can't think of a way you could possibly tell unless they marked them.

Some people will make the argument that it is better to get a reconditioned product than a new one, since they usually go through a lot more testing. Most companies assume something that's new works properly and don't give it much testing!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

The Pace is a better box than the Humax?

Depends on the specs they get from D*.  The 20-700, the first of the HD HRs, was and is a superb DVR, the 21-700 was probably the best of the 21 Series DVRs but the 23-700 (another of the 21 Series) was a poor DVR.  I think the 24-500s are a very good DVR, but they have a habit of doing some really strange things.  When they work correctly, and most of them do, they are a superb DVR.  But when they go berserk...well, you'd really have to experience it to appreciate what I mean.

Can't comment on the 44-500, haven't seen the need for one yet.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'm not sure how it is possible to tell by looking whether a product is new or refurbished. Sure, it is obvious if there is damage like some scratches or something, but if it was well taken care of there wouldn't be any way to know the difference if the refurbishment involved cleaning it and resetting it to factory defaults.

This is true with any CE product you buy, and while legally a company can't sell you a refurbished product without stating that, when you get a replacement under warranty or you're leasing as you do from Directv, they have no obligation to tell the customer. If your three month old laptop breaks and you get sent a replacement, it might be new, it might be refurbished, and there's often no way you could tell the difference. The fine print in most warranties states that they can send you a refurbished replacement without having to tell you.

Perhaps the installers know of a way to tell with Directv, some code on the box or a sticker that is always added to a receiver when it is refurbished?

The Access Card Team can tell you if it's ever been activated.  Just call their direct line and they'll tell you very quickly if it's ever been activated.  I can't imagine that there's very many HRs that have been refurbed that haven't been activated.  That number for the ACT is 877-887-7994.  Usually no waiting and no blathering with an automated voice.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   rob321

rob321

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

What is the site address? Dishbuys.com will not open

Sent from my SM-G900V using DBSTalk mobile app

#29 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

What is the site address? Dishbuys.com will not open

Sent from my SM-G900V using DBSTalk mobile app

I did a search in Bing. Got a link that said "dishbuys.myshopify.com".

After I clicked on it it took me to "http://www.tommybuys.com/"

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#30 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

got to say surprised everything went good. got my new hr44-500 in an unmarked box. pack perfectly so no damage could get done. brand spanking new. this unit was manufactured in 4/2014. so happy with it and only cost me 159.99

also got 500.00 total credits from DTV because I was out of contract and asked for it. includes NFL package too.  installer came yesterday. 2 hour job and everything is perfect. paired up with my other dvr which is a hr24-500 ( love those pace products) hooked up threw wifi on hr44 have internet access and whole home access. I know things don't happen like this all the times but I guess I got lucky. if anyone is looking for an hr44 and want to make sure they get one this web site   dishbuys.myshopify.com   has them for 159.00 no one else sells them at that price and brand new. they are also a DTV authorized dealer.

Thanks for the post - I just ordered HR44 for $159 - I currently have the HR34-700 but had previously received an HR44 as replacement for defective HR34. Now I just have to scramble to finish watching everything on the HR34 before I call to activate the HR44 How soon did it arrive? 

Edited by samthegam, 10 July 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Placed my order at Dishbuys on Sunday. Got email on Monday that unit shipped. Received new HR44-500 via Fedex on Tuesday.

Called Directv to activate today (and deactivate the HR21 this is replacing). No problems with activating/deactivating.

Only weird thing was that while activating with Directv today, the CSR doing the activation asked me if this new unit is owned or leased. I didn't lie.

#32 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

Placed my order at Dishbuys on Sunday. Got email on Monday that unit shipped. Received new HR44-500 via Fedex on Tuesday.

Called Directv to activate today (and deactivate the HR21 this is replacing). No problems with activating/deactivating.

Only weird thing was that while activating with Directv today, the CSR doing the activation asked me if this new unit is owned or leased. I didn't lie.

They are fast - I ordered my receiver on Thursday evening got email on Friday that it shipped via Fedex from Bloomington, CA and I will receive it on Monday. The most annoying part is I have to wait to activate it because I have tons of recordings I need to clear on an HR34-700. How easy is it to activate the receiver - I assume I give customer service a call and give them RID & Access Card numbers? 

#33 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

They are fast - I ordered my receiver on Thursday evening got email on Friday that it shipped via Fedex from Bloomington, CA and I will receive it on Monday. The most annoying part is I have to wait to activate it because I have tons of recordings I need to clear on an HR34-700. How easy is it to activate the receiver - I assume I give customer service a call and give them RID & Access Card numbers? 

Obviously the HR44 have to be plugged and cable connected first,  then after it reboots they'll help you with satellite setup, Type of Dish etc,  then you just give Access Card # and RID,  then making sure all your subscribed channels are working including locals.  Pretty easy stuff

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#34 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

How easy is it to activate the receiver - I assume I give customer service a call and give them RID & Access Card numbers? 

Activation is easy: insert the access card that came in the shipping box into the HR44. Connect the coax and TV output cables into the unit, then plug it in to the outlet.

A phone number will appear to the activation department at Directv. I was hoping to avoid a call and activate using www.directv.com/activate but that only works for Directv shipped receivers.

The activation CSR will ask for the receiver ID and the access card number of the HR44 (these numbers will be on your TV screen), as well as the access card number of the unit being deactivated. The CSR will tell you that this will trigger a new two year commitment. Done.

Edited by ladannen, 13 July 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#35 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Just be aware that you have a limit on how long you have the new receiver before you activate it . IIRC is 30 days.  More than 30 days and you will get charge an a hefty fee

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

They never cease to amaze me.  I probably would have said owned just to see what happened.  I'm pretty sure they would have caught that rather quickly.  Utterly amazing.  

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

They never cease to amaze me.  I probably would have said owned just to see what happened.  I'm pretty sure they would have caught that rather quickly.  Utterly amazing.  

Rich

Because all DIRECTV STBs are leased, regardless of how they're acquired? 

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Because all DIRECTV STBs are leased, regardless of how they're acquired? 

I own ten HRs.  I bought them deliberately so I could put 2TB drives in them.  Bought them on eBay and CL, mostly from MDU folks who were forced to pay the full price for the HRs because they lived in apartment buildings and apartment complexes.  It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.  I think the HRs run better with a big HD internally and I've had no experience that would change that opinion.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I own ten HRs.  I bought them deliberately so I could put 2TB drives in them.  Bought them on eBay and CL, mostly from MDU folks who were forced to pay the full price for the HRs because they lived in apartment buildings and apartment complexes.  It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.  I think the HRs run better with a big HD internally and I've had no experience that would change that opinion.

Rich

Okay, so were I to leave DIRECTV I would retain the HR44?

Does the purchased unit trigger another 2 year commitment upon activation?

And even though a Humax model(HR24) in the past gave some users color space problems there has been no negative aspects reported regarding the HR44-500, so far anyway?

I like the idea of increasing storage space, is there a tutorial posted somewhere that explains how to do? I upgraded several TiVos(cable) in the past so I can't imagine it would be that much different.

How can this site sell these at the price they list? If anyone has any ideas of course.

Thanks in advance!

#40 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Okay, so were I to leave DIRECTV I would retain the HR44? Absolutely NO

Does the purchased unit trigger another 2 year commitment upon activation? But of course!

I like the idea of increasing storage space, is there a tutorial posted somewhere that explains how to do? I upgraded several TiVos(cable) in the past so I can't imagine it would be that much different. Is very easy process most of the time, PnP

• keenan likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...