Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

has anyone ordered from dishbuys?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Okay, so were I to leave DIRECTV I would retain the HR44?

Does the purchased unit trigger another 2 year commitment upon activation?

Thanks in advance!

Not if your paying $159 for it.
And yes as soon as you activate is 24 month commitment.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Not if your paying $159 for it.
And yes as soon as you activate is 24 month commitment.

Okay, that's as I expected.

So basically, by "purchasing" the HR44-500 from the aforementioned website you insure that you'll have a HR44 versus a HR34 which you may end up with by going with the free upgrade that DIRECTV has been spamming my  DVR message box with.

All other considerations would be the same as going with the upgrade via DIRECTV instead of Tommys(or what ever it's called).

It's $160 "insurance" on getting the better model DVR.

Does that about sum it up?

Thanks!

• damondlt likes this

#43 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

I guess so....

If I could order a Genie at the Directv website (which I couldn't), and guarantee the HR44 model (which I couldn't), and guarantee a brand new model, non previously returned unit (which I couldn't) I would obviously gone that route.

Dishbuys did all that, but it cost me $160.00. And I didn't have to take off work and wait for an installer.  Was it worth it?  To me, yes.

• keenan likes this

#44 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

Okay, that's as I expected.

So basically, by "purchasing" the HR44-500 from the aforementioned website you insure that you'll have a HR44 versus a HR34 which you may end up with by going with the free upgrade that DIRECTV has been spamming my DVR message box with.

All other considerations would be the same as going with the upgrade via DIRECTV instead of Tommys(or what ever it's called).

Thanks!

Yes.
This is the only way to guarantee you will get HR44 going the "leased" route.

You can only buy "owned receivers used from ebay, "maybe sometimes brand new but rare"
And Directv , and last I talked to them HR44 were not for sale.

And HR24 was $450 to own it.

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Okay, so were I to leave DIRECTV I would retain the HR44?

Does the purchased unit trigger another 2 year commitment upon activation?

And even though a Humax model(HR24) in the past gave some users color space problems there has been no negative aspects reported regarding the HR44-500, so far anyway?

I like the idea of increasing storage space, is there a tutorial posted somewhere that explains how to do? I upgraded several TiVos(cable) in the past so I can't imagine it would be that much different.

How can this site sell these at the price they list? If anyone has any ideas of course.

Thanks in advance!

With any DVR D* uses you have to find out if it is truly owned or leased.  You can do this by calling the Access Card Team at 877-887-7994.  Have the RID # or the serial number ready when you make the call and they'll be able to tell you if you truly own it. Putting a large internal drive in a leased HR violates the TOS.  Nobody on the forum will recommend that you do that.  

I've upgraded the HDDs in lots of TiVos too and it's not as easy to do with some of the HRs.  First step is to find out the status of the HR you want to upgrade.  

I have no idea how they can sell them at that price.  If it is truly a leased unit, you will face a recommittment.  No getting away from that.  

Rich 

#46 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Just be aware that you have a limit on how long you have the new receiver before you activate it . IIRC is 30 days.  More than 30 days and you will get charge an a hefty fee

There was a sticker on the box that stated the receiver has to be activated by 10/10/14. I did receive an HR44-500 manufactured in April 2014. Is there a way to activate the HR44-500 and keep the HR34-700 just to watch recordings from it? I assume once I activate the HR44 DirecTV will send me a recovery kit to send the HR34 back? I got to hurry up to watch the recorded shows :(

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Yes.

You can only buy "owned receivers used from ebay, "maybe sometimes brand new but rare"

Owned recievers have also been sold here, including HR44 (though only once or twice).

• damondlt likes this

#48 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Owned recievers have also been sold here, including HR44 (though only once or twice).

Yes , I bought a C31 from the same guy who was selling HR44.

#49 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Is there a way to activate the HR44-500 and keep the HR34-700 just to watch recordings from it? 

You can only have One Genie active on your account, once you activate the HR44, DirecTV® will send a recovery kit, from there on (assuming DirecTV® actually ships the kit) you have 21 days before you get charge a non-retune fee.  Even if you get charge a non-return fee, it is reversible once DirecTV® receives the equipment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#50 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Yes.

Thanks!

#51 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

With any DVR D* uses you have to find out if it is truly owned or leased.  You can do this by calling the Access Card Team at 877-887-7994.  Have the RID # or the serial number ready when you make the call and they'll be able to tell you if you truly own it. Putting a large internal drive in a leased HR violates the TOS.  Nobody on the forum will recommend that you do that.  

I've upgraded the HDDs in lots of TiVos too and it's not as easy to do with some of the HRs.  First step is to find out the status of the HR you want to upgrade.  

I have no idea how they can sell them at that price.  If it is truly a leased unit, you will face a recommittment.  No getting away from that.  

Rich 

I thought it was already determined these are leased units? 

I agree at that price it would seem they would have to be. I've run external drives on my HR20-700 and never had a problem so whether it's internal or external doesn't really matter to me, internal would be ideal of course, but as long as it works I'm good with it.

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I thought it was already determined these are leased units? 

I agree at that price it would seem they would have to be. I've run external drives on my HR20-700 and never had a problem so whether it's internal or external doesn't really matter to me, internal would be ideal of course, but as long as it works I'm good with it.

Yup, that's what I thought too.  Never hurts to talk about the TOS and owned HRs, tho.  Always good to have choices.

Rich 

#53 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Yup, that's what I thought too.  Never hurts to talk about the TOS and owned HRs, tho.  Always good to have choices.

Rich 

Indeed, and much appreciated!  

#54 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Indeed, and much appreciated!  

Activated the HR44-500 today was not told anything about 2 year commitment. 

#55 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

If it's a concern I would definitely double-check if I were you, and I would be interested in what you find out. Just because they didn't tell doesn't mean you're not.

#56 OFFLINE   samthegam

samthegam

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

If it's a concern I would definitely double-check if I were you, and I would be interested in what you find out. Just because they didn't tell doesn't mean you're not.

After speaking to numerous customer reps adding the HR44-500 did start a new 2 year commitment. But, I am okay with it since I love DirecTV and happy again to have the HR44-500 after briefly having an HR44-200 that was swapped for an HR34-700. For all my troubles DirecTV gave me a credit of $200. 

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Call the ACT and ask them what your commitment date is now.  877-887-7994.  If they tell you it's owned, I'm gonna buy one.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Call the ACT and ask them what your commitment date is now.  877-887-7994.  If they tell you it's owned, I'm gonna buy one.

Rich

Never mind.   :rolling:

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

After speaking to numerous customer reps adding the HR44-500 did start a new 2 year commitment. But, I am okay with it since I love DirecTV and happy again to have the HR44-500 after briefly having an HR44-200 that was swapped for an HR34-700. For all my troubles DirecTV gave me a credit of $200. 

Thanks for the update.

#60 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

How many different models of the HR44 are there?

I notice that 500 has been mentioned as Humax, is the 200 Pace, I thought that was 700?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...