Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Geniego and Samsung Tab 4

Geniego Tab 4 Samsung Galaxy Geniego app Tab 3

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

Has anyone tried using the Geniego App with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4?

I have a tab 3 and the Gieniego app does not work with it.

Thinking of upgrading to the Tab 4 but would like to know if it works first.

• BMWBig6 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

The app doesn't work with my Dell Venue 8 worth Android Kit Kat either.

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

#3 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Does that mean it's not working with the Samsung Galaxy S5 either?
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#4 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

It varies, The App works with my Galaxy S-II phone but not with the Galaxy Tab 3
When you call D** for support they jack you around and then point at their web site and say these are the only supported devices:

OS V2.3.4 to 4.1. OS 4.2 support coming soon
Compatible devices include:
Android OS 2.3.5 to 4.2.4
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Droid RAZR
Droid Bionic
HTC EVO 4G
Other Android devices have not yet been tested to work with the GenieGO app. Please check back later as we continue to add devices to the supported list.

I dont't think this list has changed in the last six months.
Considering the number of Android devices out there, this list is pathetic.
The people who developed this app should be fired!

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 01 July 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,986 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I wouldn't go by the web list. That should be updated.

At the top it states OS V4.2 is coming soon.

But as many of us know, it works with OS V4.4.x  Kit Kat on many devices.

Not all.

Imagine what companies have to go through to code for Android.  While I like Android and have one, if you are an app developer, its far more work to code for Androids than Apple.  

First thing is you need deep pockets because you need to purchase most phones and tablets.  Quite expensive.  Full price, not subsidized phones.

Manufacturers do not give away hardware except to a few companies.

#6 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

I wouldn't go by the web list. That should be updated.
At the top it states OS V4.2 is coming soon.
But as many of us know, it works with OS V4.4.x  Kit Kat on many devices.

Not all.

Imagine what companies have to go through to code for Android.  While I like Android and have one, if you are an app developer, its far more work to code for Androids than Apple.  
First thing is you need deep pockets because you need to purchase most phones and tablets.  Quite expensive.  Full price, not subsidized phones.
Manufacturers do not give away hardware except to a few companies.

I guess that's my main issue, They don't even seem to be trying keep the device list up to date. So you have no idea what will work and what won't.
You go out and spend hundreds of $$$ and have no idea until you load the App if it's going to work or not. I purchased my Tab 3 especially for traveling with the desire to catch up on shows from my DVR. If smaller companies that are bringing out apps for Android are compatible across multiple devices then D** should be able to as well.
I would even be willing to pay for the App if it would work across more Android devices.
I cannot think of another App that won't run on both my S-II and Tab 3.

Also have a gripe with the Technical assistance people when you call. They seem to have no idea how this is supposed to work.
I spoke to one who told me that they had a replacement now and had me download the "Directv" app. Walked me through connecting it to my recorders and asked if I could see my recordings (Yes I could) and said that it was fixed. Of course it didn't occur to me at the time that it only worked because I was on my home network.

Well I'll stop the rant and get off the soapbox. I guess I'll just wait until my contract is up and switch to someone else.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

If smaller companies that are bringing out apps for Android are compatible across multiple devices then D** should be able to as well.

So DirecTV is supposed to support every single Android smartphone in the fuel right now....?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,986 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Also have a gripe with the Technical assistance people when you call. They seem to have no idea how this is supposed to work.
I spoke to one who told me that they had a replacement now and had me download the "Directv" app. Walked me through connecting it to my recorders and asked if I could see my recordings (Yes I could) and said that it was fixed. Of course it didn't occur to me at the time that it only worked because I was on my home network.

What does that mean?  

You see content at home and can prepare and download it?

What doesn't work when you aren't at home?

#9 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

What does that mean?  
You see content at home and can prepare and download it?

What doesn't work when you aren't at home?

I probably didn't explain very well.
The Geniego App does not work at all on my Galaxy Tab 3 it hangs on a black screen when opening.
So I cannot prepare and download any content to it. Does work on the Win7 laptop but that is very cumbersome to try to watch anything.
When I called "Technical Assistance" we tried several things to get the app to run.
It seemed like he was reading from a script, eventually he said that they have this new app that does the same thing.
He had me download a new version of the "DirectTV" App. (Not the Geniego App.)
He walked me through connecting it to my network & receivers (I was on my home network sitting 6 feet away from the receivers.)
When completed he asked if I could see my playlists and if the programs would play. (Of course being on my home network I could) And he said that it was all taken care of.
What I didn’t realize at the time is with that App you have to be on your home network for it to work.
Away from home, all you get is programs available for streaming nothing from the playlist.

#10 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

So DirecTV is supposed to support every single Android smartphone in the fuel right now....?

I have been a DTV subscriber for more than 20 years and I think they should support a lot more than they do.
The Geniego App has not been updated since Dec 10, 2013?
The Samsung Galaxy series have been out for years and there are a lot of their devices out there.

The local cable company is able to download from their recorders.
And their App works fine on my tab, a neighbor has cable and we tried it out.

That list has not been updated in over 6 months. I think the Geniego was brought out just so they could point to it and say "We have live streaming too!" to offset the streaming that is available on cable. But if it only works with a select few devices then it's not really a true statement.

But that's just my $0.02

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 02 July 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,623 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

8 months ago, Samsung, Asus and Lenovo accounted for a greater tablet market share than iPad. It would seem to me the most recent models from at least these three vendors should be supported.

http://www.engadget....-share-q3-2013/

• dazed&confuzed likes this
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

He walked me through connecting it to my network & receivers (I was on my home network sitting 6 feet away from the receivers.)
When completed he asked if I could see my playlists and if the programs would play. (Of course being on my home network I could) And he said that it was all taken care of.
What I didn’t realize at the time is with that App you have to be on your home network for it to work.
Away from home, all you get is programs available for streaming nothing from the playlist.

You have to be on your home network in order to stream the recordings or to transcode and download them to your device.  Once they are downloaded to the device you can watch them on the road, just like with the old Nomad/Genie Go app.  I don't remember the exact steps to get it to transcode and copy to your device off the top of my head, but the option should have been there on the same screen when you were looking at your recordings and streaming them.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

8 months ago, Samsung, Asus and Lenovo accounted for a greater tablet market share than iPad. It would seem to me the most recent models from at least these three vendors should be supported.

http://www.engadget....-share-q3-2013/

and that is exactly the "problem" it takes many manufacturers with hundreds of different models to do what Apple does with a few SKUs

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,623 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

and that is exactly the "problem" it takes many manufacturers with hundreds of different models to do what Apple does with a few SKUs

I think you're missing my point re: the 2013 shipments. Just the currently shipping models from those 3 vendors outsold the iPads, Test those for compatibility and between Samsung, Asus, Lenovo and Apple, you know at least 60% of the currently shipping tablet market is compatible, in addition to the older units that were already compatible.

/steve

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I think you're missing my point re: the 2013 shipments. Just the currently shipping models from those 3 vendors outsold the iPads, Test those for compatibility and between Samsung, Asus, Lenovo and Apple, you know at least 60% of the currently shipping tablet market is compatible, in addition to the older units that were already compatible.

and how many SKUs came from those 3 vendors?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,651 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

And with every release of software, you have to test not only the new best sellers, but ALL of the older existing units.

Not only do you have to test the various carrier models - or wifi only - you have to test new, clean installations vs. updates.

It can become an insurmountable task very quickly.

• peds48 likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,623 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

and how many SKUs came from those 3 vendors?

I don't know what was currently shipping back in Q3, but I'm not sure every SKU has to be tested. E.g., there are currently about a dozen Galaxy Note Pros and a half dozen Galaxy Tab 4s available, ATM. Looks like the main differences are screen sizes and/or which carriers they support.

/steve

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

I don't know what was currently shipping back in Q3, but I'm not sure every SKU has to be tested. E.g., there are currently about a dozen Galaxy Note Pros and a half dozen Galaxy Tab 4s available, ATM. Looks like the main differences are screen sizes and/or which carriers they support.

that is another problem, unlike Apple where they "drive" the software, with Android carries get to "pick and choose"  

Every SKU is different and to guaranteed that it works, it must be tested, otherwise we would be having this discussion 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,986 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Let my try to explain it this way.

Consider just the Samsung Tab line.

How many models have been available since the first one?

According to Wikipedia, this is the list:

Galaxy Tab / Galaxy Tab 7.0

Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Galaxy Tab 7.7

Galaxy Tab 8.9

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Galaxy Tab 10.1v

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro

Samsung Galaxy Tab S

Other Samsung tablets

Galaxy Note

Nexus 10

Now consider the first few were Android 3.0 and then 3.1 and 3.2 if I recall correctly.

Then we had the 4 series.

And with Kit Kat, Google made some changes to the memory structure of writing to SD cards.

Just keeping up with these above for every iteration every time Directv up-rev'd the app and every time Google up rev's the OS (or the carrier makes mods), is quite time consuming.  And then there's the expense of purchasing these.  Samsung is not giving them away.

Then add in the phones.   And this is just one manufacturer.

I too would like to see better evolution of the GG products for Android but I do understand the problems a company has keeping up.

And the ones that seem simple, don't have MPAA and other encryption requirements to deal with.

• peds48 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Let my try to explain it this way.

Consider just the Samsung Tab line.

How many models have been available since the first one?

According to Wikipedia, this is the list:

Galaxy Tab / Galaxy Tab 7.0

Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Galaxy Tab 7.7

Galaxy Tab 8.9

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Galaxy Tab 10.1v

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro

Samsung Galaxy Tab S

Other Samsung tablets

Galaxy Note

Nexus 10

Now consider the first few were Android 3.0 and then 3.1 and 3.2 if I recall correctly.

Then we had the 4 series.

And with Kit Kat, Google made some changes to the memory structure of writing to SD cards.

Just keeping up with these above for every iteration every time Directv up-rev'd the app and every time Google up rev's the OS (or the carrier makes mods), is quite time consuming.  And then there's the expense of purchasing these.  Samsung is not giving them away.

Then add in the phones.   And this is just one manufacturer.

I too would like to see better evolution of the GG products for Android but I do understand the problems a company has keeping up.

And the ones that seem simple, don't have MPAA and other encryption requirements to deal with.

Exactly my point!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geniego, Tab 4, Samsung, Galaxy, Geniego app, Tab 3

Protected By... spam firewall...And...