Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New House, Upgrade On Equipment - Thoughts Wanted

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

I've been a DTV customer since 1996 and have done all my own installs starting with the original purchase and now two moves.  Knowing I would be moving into my new house for the last 3 years, I have waited about taking advantage of the mover's connection / equipment upgrade, etc.  Over the past 18 years things have gotten significantly more difficult and while I have tried to keep up I just wanted to run my thoughts by any willing to listen and offer advice and / or confirmation.

My spouse and I will be mostly the primary residents in the house but will likely have frequent guests for a variety of reasons. Most of the time only 2 locations will be being used.  In the move, DTV has offered a complete genie system with installation (along with free Sunday Ticket and good discounts for one year) for free.  I have two HDDVRs (HR22 and HR23) that I think makes sense to retain.  That will give me the Genie, 2 clients, and the 2 HDDVRs.  I have also thought about making one of the two clients of the wireless variety for the garage.  That would save the longest cable run and give me the freedom to move around some, too - thinking football season mostly. 

Does this sound like a smart choice for equipment?  Is there anything that I should be doing that I'm not thinking of that seems obvious to others?  I currently don't have internet installed but it will be coming shortly - that shouldn't halt the install should it?  Seems pretty straightforward but I don't follow this as closely as I used to follow it.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Personally, wireless and long distance makes me nervous in terms of it working well. The more walls and distance involved, the worse the signal gets.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Sounds very reasonable to me. Just be sure you get an understanding on how the wires are run, as the Genie cannot be on the same leg of the SWiM 16 that'll be installed as you'll have nine tuners. (Install will be fine, but if you decide to move things around, there are small limitations you will have to observe. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

How far away is the garage (or is it attached?) and how close to that is the closest cable run?

Wireless through two exterior walls may not be particularly robust but if it is just a couple of interior walls, it shouldn't be a problem. 5MHz is not strong on penetrating building materials.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

That would save the longest cable run and give me the freedom to move around some, too - thinking football season mostly. 

wired will give you a nice 150 run, while wireless will give just about under 75 feet of open air (less with obstructions) between the wireless video bridge and the wireless client 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

Sounds very reasonable to me. Just be sure you get an understanding on how the wires are run, as the Genie cannot be on the same leg of the SWiM 16 that'll be installed as you'll have nine tuners. (Install will be fine, but if you decide to move things around, there are small limitations you will have to observe. 

you can have a Genie plus one DVR on the same leg easily 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

you can have a Genie plus one DVR on the same leg easily 

I have no idea why you state something that is pretty apparent. Post count??

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

The garage is attached but would be the length of the house away and probably in a basement - so maybe 75 feet through a ceiling and a few walls.  The only thing is that I wasn't sure what the best way to do the whole hookup was as I see some suggest a central location for all receivers and then HDMI runs versus the standard install.

#9 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Also, I really debated on whether or not to keep the current HDDVRs as the things are so ridiculously laggy...terrible.  I have to think the clients operate much smoother.  The HR23 especially sucks - sometimes it's an adventure just changing the channel....unless you like playing the enter the channel number game over and over while waiting to see what sticks 30 seconds later.

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

When the installer comes, mention that the HR2x's are really slow and ask if he can replace them with HR24's, which are likely to be on his truck (and are very fast).  If he has them and resists, a small tip my persuade him otherwise.

#11 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

How persuasive is Ben Franklin typically? Just trying to get an idea of what a reasonable expectation is.  Honestly, though, they are brutal slow.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

How persuasive is Ben Franklin typically?.

Very!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

How persuasive is Ben Franklin typically? Just trying to get an idea of what a reasonable expectation is.  Honestly, though, they are brutal slow.

I would think that's far more persuasive than you need to be.  I'd probably start with a Jackson per DVR and move from there if necessary.

spam firewall