Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Simple Upgrade Solution - Really...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamafamily

bamafamily

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hey All,

I assume this one will be a piece of cake for all you experts out there.

I currently have a 722K that feeds my 60" Sony(TV1) and a pos Westinghouse 26" (TV2)

I also have a Sling attached to TV1

I am running simple RG6 to TV2 through a Combiner that has OTA signals from an antenna in the attic

Up to this point I have been fine with SD on TV2 (non-OTA) and I was also able to access the DVR recordings from the 722K.

I am upgrading the TV2 to a ~~42" Samsung and will now want the HD feed from both the Dish Channels as well as the recordings.

What are my options??

I assume I cant tag a 211 on TV2 as I wont be able to get my recordings, right??

Any other options besides a Joey setup? (which I assume will jack up my current monthly fee...by how much, I do not know)

thanks in advance

Bama

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

A joey will add $7 and your DVR fee will go up to $12.  Only DISH can tell you what your cost will be for upgrading, they base it on what type of customer they think you are.  You will definitely have a new 2 year contract.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

A Hopper/Joey system will give you access to your HD content in another room.

If the other room can live with independent DVR functionality, just adding a ViP211 with DVR activation might fill the bill.

DISH does not allow mixed setups.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

The 211 wouldn't give him access to the recordings on his 722 in HD, though...

If you don't need independent viewing in the other room, you could consider running component (or HDMI) between the two rooms and use that instead of the coax connection for the second room.  That would give you HD and access to your 722 recordings, but you would have to watch the same channel in both rooms.

Outside of that, the Hopper/Joey is the next best way to accomplish what you want.  Also, if you get the new wireless Joey you wouldn't even need to run new wires to the other room.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   bamafamily

bamafamily

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thanks all for the replies....so....

For configuration: to keep my viewing intact, I will need a Hopper and 1 Joey.  This will get me 3 Tuners (versus the 2 tuners I currently have on my 722K)  TV2 will become HD compatible and still have access to my DVR recordings on the Hopper

For OTA: I currently split my Antenna feed. 1 leg goes to the 722K. The other leg combines with the TV2 output to go to my other TV. While I have to change channels on TV2 to get OTA, it works fine. How does this change with the Hopper??  Do I need the OTA adapter?

For pricing: Assuming I have been a good customer for the last 14 years, the Joey and Hopper wont cost me anything to upgrade.  Monthly Cost will go up from $7 (722K) to $19 (1 Hopper and 1 Joey) (I assume a Wireless Joey is the same cost monthly fee)?

For Sling: I currently have a DISH sling attached to the 722K.  From reading it looks like I can keep this.

Thanks all for the help...

Bama

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

In no particular order...

You can keep your sling... but IF you get a Hopper w/ Sling you wouldn't need it since that Hopper has the Sling built-in.  You might want to look into that, and I believe all the costs are the same anyway.

Wireless Joey is the same per month, I believe, as a regular Joey... but there is a one-time $50 setup fee for the Access Point that Dish provides.  I forgot to mention that, in case it factors into your decision.

For OTA... The Hopper has its own USB-OTA adapter you have to get from Dish. Once you get that, you will not need a diplexor or anything to get OTA to your Joey.  The OTA is integrated in the Hopper and feeds to the Joey the same as the SAT... so to a Joey its all the same.  This again simplifies a lot of the cabling (although yours is already done) since you only need to run the OTA to the Hopper and not to each Joey as well.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

The 211 wouldn't give him access to the recordings on his 722 in HD, though...

That's why I noted "independent DVR functionality".

I have a ViP622 in the living room and a 508 in the bedroom and it works just fine for my purposes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

But he specifically mentioned that he wanted access to his 722 recordings.  That's why I didn't mention a 211 since it wouldn't give him a key component of what he wanted and he specifically noted that in his earlier post.

#9 OFFLINE   bamafamily

bamafamily

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thanks all so far.  It is starting to sink in..

So, lets look at the other option.

After thinking of what is involved with Joeys and price increases, lets assume I do not need to access DVR recordings from TV2 nor record with a receiver in the back room.

With the VIP722K, what am I allowed to add to gain HD on my back room TV??

622K? 211K? another receiver I dont know about?

Am I allowed to purchase a second receiver or would I have to lease?

I assume they would just split the signal and take one of each to the 722K and other receiver?  or would they need to run an entirely new line?

thx

Bama

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

Each receiver needs a direct feed back to the dish/lnbs (or switch if you have a DPP33 or DPP44 or similar switch).  You can't split the satellite signal to send to different DVRs.  So in order to put another ViP receiver in that room you will need a direct coax run back to the same place your 722K gets its feed from.  IF that is not a difficult task, and you're ok not having DVR access then a 211 would be fine.

IF you added a 622 or a 722 to the other room, however, you would be able to share the EHD you already have on your 722K.  You would have to physically move it between rooms, but the EHD would work on them if you had a recording archived to it that you wanted to watch in the other room.

Whether you purchase or lease an additional receiver, your monthly cost will be the same... so unless you have a reason that you want to own a receiver, you save money by leasing rather than purchasing.

spam firewall