Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade questions.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

I have a relative. They have dish. They have a 311k and another receiver. I think they have a dish that picks up 110 and 119 but not sure if it gets anything else.

They got a new Hi Definition TV, and really need to go Hi Definition. No DVR necessary, they don't want to spend the money.

What do they need and how much more does Hi Definition cost than what they have now to get the same channels in Hi Definition not a higher package, if dish does it that way.

Frankly I told them they need to ask for more discount or jump ship, seems way to high to have what appears to be the lowest package and two sd receivers for $80 a month. They don't even get their local RSN. But evidently they call recently and where told no discounts are available to them.

Thoughts and suggestions? Including how to get to retention, because they may jump to DIRECTV if they can't get this bill lower. Its $6 more a month than the same would be with directv with their RSN and other additional channels, which surprised me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,895 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

My take is DISH had their chance with retaining your relatives and blew retaining them when they called recently about upgrading to HD service and were told no discounts are available to them. I don't understand why you and your relatives would wan't to give DISH a second chance at retaining them when we both know they'll be better off upgrading their service to DirecTV.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Dish usually doesn't turn down subscribers when they want to upgrade unless they are trying to get new equipment less than one year apart. You should have them check with a DIRT member here and have double check the account. As far as discounts, Dish gives them more for add on programing which your parent do not have. HD for Life used to be free, but that changed last year. Again I would contact a DIRT member to see what they can do as they do have more pull than the normal csr's you would get when you call Dish.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

It seems odd if what you say is true that they only have 2 SD receivers and subscribe to the lowest tier.  That shouldn't be $80.  I don't have prices in front of me... but that seems too high unless you misread something about what tier they subscribe to.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

I don't understand why you and your relatives would wan't to give DISH a second chance at retaining them when we both know they'll be better off upgrading their service to DirecTV.

Monthly price (in the long term) is probably very high on the list of reasons to retain DISH.

The ability of the DISH equipment to control a VCR may also be of interest (given that a DVR is not of interest).

The larger dish and the fact that it can't use the existing mast and foot is a ding against DIRECTV.

LOS may be less of an issue with DISH.

The kinfolk may not want to change everything up.

There's lots more to making the decision than 12 months of extreme discounting. Some are subjective and others are objective but everyone assigns their own weights.

Edited by harsh, 01 July 2014 - 12:40 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

It seems odd if what you say is true that they only have 2 SD receivers and subscribe to the lowest tier.  That shouldn't be $80.  I don't have prices in front of me... but that seems too high unless you misread something about what tier they subscribe to.

AT120 is $54.99 plus $7 second receiver  total $61.99 plus any taxes a far cry from $80.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Ok, I have gotten my hands on their bill. Its at120 for 54.99. Extra receiver 7 and protection plan for another 7 plus 4.35 in taxes, so 73.34. They where rounding up a bit.

So if they upgraded one receiver to Hi Definition the most basic Hi Definition receiver you can get, the price doesn't change? Is that right? That's what someone on dishes chat system just told me.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

Monthly price (in the long term) is probably very high on the list of reasons to retain DISH.

The ability of the DISH equipment to control a VCR may also be of interest (given that a DVR is not of interest).

The larger dish and the fact that it can't use the existing mast and foot is a ding against DIRECTV.

The kinfolk may not want to change everything up.

There's lots more to making the decision than 12 months of extreme discounting. Some are subjective and others are objective but everyone assigns their own weights.

VCR control isn't even in consideration in any way. Los isn't an issue at all. Changing isn't an issue. Monthly price long term for what they are looking at is starting to look closer and closer to almost the same, but they'd get a bunch more channels with DIRECTV, namely root for the jazz, which they aren't getting with dish. I can't believe dish doesn't include RSNs at this high a priced package.

Oh and dish mount is not a consideration at all either. I like how you guessed a million reasons and none of them is relevant. Their biggest hesitation is DIRECTV wanting a credit card.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Ok, I have gotten my hands on their bill. Its at120 for 54.99. Extra receiver 7 and protection plan for another 7 plus 4.35 in taxes, so 73.34. They where rounding up a bit.

So if they upgraded one receiver to Hi Definition the most basic Hi Definition receiver you can get, the price doesn't change? Is that right? That's what someone on dishes chat system just told me.

That makes more sense.  Of course they could drop the protection plan and save a bit...

There will be a charge for HD, since they are not grandfathered into the "HD free for life" plan...  That is $10, but there may be a promotion available to them for the beginning of the term when they upgrade.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

They may want to consider dropping the Protection Plan, it can be added back when needed.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Oh and dish mount is not a consideration at all either. I like how you guessed a million reasons and none of them is relevant.

I guess it is good that they have you to assign their priorities for them.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,259 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Again, Why?  and why?

To quote from your signature 

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought

that applies to yourself as well 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

Again, Why?  and why?

Because a new foot typically means new holes (plus the struts that are required more often than not for the Slimline) and because DISH offers two widely separated satellite constellations where DIRECTV offers one.

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

Because a new foot typically means new holes (plus the struts that are required more often than not for the Slimline) and because DISH offers two widely separated satellite constellations where DIRECTV offers one.

Dish doesn't offer 2 satellite constellation locations, you get where your locals are.
Don't make it sound like if a customer has a Los issue in Northeast Pa, that it's no problem to get 1000.2 installed over the .4
That's has many many limitations. Like no locals, and more than half the HD will be out of reach since 129 is almost useless in the northeast.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

That's has many many limitations. Like no locals, and more than half the HD will be out of reach since 129 is almost useless in the northeast.

When the choice is cable or not having LIL, which would you choose?

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

When the choice is cable or not having LIL, which would you choose?

Cable over Dish any day of the week!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#17 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

I guess it is good that they have you to assign their priorities for them.

What is that supposed to mean?   Sarcasm aside    It's just questions being asking that the TS is not sure about.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#18 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

You should check what channels they mostly watch, and see if they want to change to the lowest tier Smart Pack,  If that's not a option that's okay,  I would first remove protection plan, then speak with Dirt here about upgrading prices,  Then try speaking with Dish loyalty/retention and see what credits and discounts they can give you.   Dirt can help you with anything I mentioned, not sure about discounts though.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...