Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie client audio drop out when TV is off

genie client audio hdmi digital coax

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Recently upgraded to Genie + 2 clients.  Really no problems, I self installed, everything wonderful.....

EXCEPT:  We enjoyed listening to either the music channels or our media share library with the television set off.  With my older setups, I connected the audio out to my stereo, set up the music, then turned the TV off.  With my new set up, when I turn the TV off (HDMI connected), after about 30 seconds I lose the audio from the digital coax output. If I then unplug the HDMI cable from the client to the TV, the audio returns.  So obviously the client takes its audio "cue" from the HDMI connection on whether or not to be active.  I looked for some settings, but didn't find them.  Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

Any suggestions?

1. Leave the TV ON

2. Use component instead of HDMI

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Well, #1 defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do, and #2 is not an option.

On the Genie clients the only outputs are HDMI, digital audio and A/V out (which looks like the old S-Video format, which is not compatible with my TV).

It was nice to have the music playing as I went to sleep.  Leaving the TV on would have a light in my face.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

This is an HDCP copy protection issue. The Genie and its clients all enforce HDCP copy protection. When you switch the TV off (actually to standby) the HDMI link fails the HDCP copy protection tests and so the receiver shuts down all its outputs.

You can solve this by getting a POWERED HDMI splitter (from Monoprice etc). Most of these devices will work, but I can't give you an actual model number. Check the reviews on the Monoprice web site.

Connect the Tv to one output, leave the other empty. When the TV goes to standby the splitter maintains the HDCP copy protection and so the receiver outputs don't shut down.

• harsh likes this

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

(which looks like the old S-Video format, which is not compatible with my TV).

Actually that output is a "special" connector that using the correct cable can give you either component or composite outputs 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

The copy protect answer seems reasonable. Thanks.

So no solution without buying more hardware....

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

How old is the AVR? Many do Pandora natively. Or if you have an iPhone, iPad, these could feed the AVR...

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

If I buy new hardware, I'll probably go with the Apple TV.

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

The component cable adapter they are talking about is much cheaper than buying an Apple TV (although I do like the Apple TV).  As long as your TV has a component input this to me is the best option (unless you are using 3D, or watch a lot of 1080p PPV, which require HDMI).  It says it is for the H25, but it also works for the Genie Mini Clients.

http://www.amazon.co...mponent adapter

Edited by Beerstalker, 02 July 2014 - 09:55 AM.

• Laxguy likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yes, but does the composite connection reduce my resolution?

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Composite will, and drastically. However, component will be fine for anything but 1080p, which is infrequently available for stuff you want to watch. (Such as the Giants series!  :) )

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

The adapter cable I linked to on Amazon is component, not composite.  It supports up to 1080i, so it will work for everything except 3D and a few 1080p PPV/On Demand movies (which would be downscaled to 1080i and play fine, just not displayed in 1080p).

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

My bad. Wrong word. Thx for help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, client, audio, hdmi, digital coax

Protected By... spam firewall...And...