Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help on SMW splitter

SWM splitter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soaring Eagle

Soaring Eagle

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I am moving my DTV system from a brick and mortar house to our motor home. I intend on keeping the 5 lnb dish from the house and the power inserter. However, for varying reasons, I wanted a new splitter. The current splitter in the house is a sws4wb-wnc which is what I ordered from Amazon, fullfilled by Reider Electronics. What they sent is a mdusp4r0-09.

My questions are:

Is there any difference in the functionality of these two splitters?

Does one wire them the same way?

Is there a significant cost and or quality difference?

If they will work the same I will go ahead and install this new one, the MDU...., and not worry about any cost difference, although it appears they substituted a $6 item for a $14 item.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

If you are using Whole Home, this splitter does not work.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Soaring Eagle

Soaring Eagle

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:18 PM

If you are using Whole Home, this splitter does not work.  

Thanks for the info. Not doing whole house, just two HR21-200s, no network or internet. I am mostly wanting to know if the mdu splitter by NSA is interchangeable with the sws4wb-wn.

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

I am mostly wanting to know if the mdu splitter by NSA is interchangeable with the sws4wb-wn.

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT interchangeable but it should meet your needs.

Amazon carries a DIRECTV green label SWiM+DECA four-way splitter for $4.99 delivered.

http://smile.amazon....d_bxgy_e_text_z

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Not doing whole house, just two HR21-200s, no network or internet. I am mostly wanting to know if the mdu splitter by NSA is interchangeable with the sws4wb-wn.

Thanks.

they are different products for different uses, but both will be fine for use with SWM as long as you dont use WHDVR.  Just so you know, this was the splitter DirecTV® used before they use DECA.  the "green label" monicker came with along when DECA was released and this splitter was discontinued in favor of the green label ones.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

If you're curious as to the difference, the green label splitters are specially designed to have lower loss in the 475-625 MHz range that DECA uses. The splitter you have will work for whole home, but less efficiently, since without this special design it has a higher loss between ports in that range. If you later decided to start using whole home it will work if your cable runs from splitter to receiver are not too long, but if they are longer but still within Directv spec the losses would be too high and you'd experience issues or it may not work at all.

However, if I'm understanding correctly, you paid $14 for a green label SWM splitter and were substituted a less expensive item. That item may work for you, but that might not always be true if you later decide to use whole home. I think you should make them send you the splitter you ordered and credit you the shipping the charge to return the wrong one they sent. Otherwise you might find yourself needing to buy another splitter to replace it someday.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Technically it's not lower loss, it's lower isolation. The loss from input to output is about the same. The isolation between ports at that bandwidth is lower, so that devices on the same splitter can talk to each other.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

Technically it's not lower loss, it's lower isolation. The loss from input to output is about the same. The isolation between ports at that bandwidth is lower, so that devices on the same splitter can talk to each other.

"Yes & no"

The isolation between output ports is less and the loss between output to input [and input to output] is more.

A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Soaring Eagle

Soaring Eagle

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thanks everyone for advice. I decided to return the wrong splitter and order the one Basset suggested.  I figured a work around in the meantime to keep my wife happy with at least one TV going in our motor home. I won't order from Reider Electronics again, and have let Amazon know my displeasure at the downgrade substitution.

Thanks, really appreciate the input and help as this is not a knowledge area for me.

spam firewall