Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 622 issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hello,

I've got a 7.5 year old ViP 622 that has recently begun to make a ticking sound. The tick is random and not constant. Is this a sign of impending failure? I'm not having any other trouble with it although this post may jinx all that  :nono2:  .

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hello,

I've got a 7.5 year old ViP 622 that has recently begun to make a ticking sound. The tick is random and not constant. Is this a sign of impending failure? I'm not having any other trouble with it although this post may jinx all that  :nono2:  .

Thanks

Live with it until it does something else as long as no problems are showing up it will probably continue to work. I would get an external hard drive if you don't have one and transfer any important programming. Your 622 is getting older and at some point is going to fail. Now is the time to investigate your options replace under the Protection Plan with a refurbished 622/722 or upgrade to a Hopper and learn a new operating system that is still being debugged.

#3 OFFLINE   BeckiB@Dish Network

BeckiB@Dish Network

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hello,

Thanks

I am more than happy to help! Is the receiver in an enclosed place?

Becki Barned
Social Media Representative
Wednesday -Saturday

11:30  - 10:30 MST

#4 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Live with it until it does something else as long as no problems are showing up it will probably continue to work. I would get an external hard drive if you don't have one and transfer any important programming. Your 622 is getting older and at some point is going to fail. Now is the time to investigate your options replace under the Protection Plan with a refurbished 622/722 or upgrade to a Hopper and learn a new operating system that is still being debugged.

Like I said, other than the ticking it does appear to be running just fine. I was more curious about what that ticking might be.. I had an external hard drive hooked up for a while. It failed after about a year so I already lost most everything we might have really wanted to keep. I'll most likely move to a Hopper once this unit dies. The Hopper with one Joey will run me a few bucks more than the 622 and a 211 though.

I am more than happy to help! Is the receiver in an enclosed place?

The receiver sits inside on the top shelf of a wood audio cabinet with glass doors. It has about 4 inches of space on either side and 6 inches above. There are also holes drilled out in the rear panel of the cabinet to allow airflow. The glass doors are generally left a bit open. I'm sure this unit would have had issues a long time ago if heat was to blame. I won't be in any big rush if and when this unit goes. I have a 211 in the other room that will hold us over until a decision is made to upgrade or move on. It would be a bit of a bummer to lose a few recordings but in the end it's just tv, nothing that important.

Edited by Crotulus, 03 July 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

the ticking is probably the heads of the hard drive parking and re-reading a sector - probably notice of impending failure - copy anything you want to save to an EHD and prepare for failure.

These receiver need to be out in the open air - they run hot anyway and being in any kind of enclosure makes them run hotter and shortens the receivers lifetime. - move it outside the audio cabinet.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#6 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

the ticking is probably the heads of the hard drive parking and re-reading a sector - probably notice of impending failure - copy anything you want to save to an EHD and prepare for failure.

These receiver need to be out in the open air - they run hot anyway and being in any kind of enclosure makes them run hotter and shortens the receivers lifetime. - move it outside the audio cabinet.

We'll see how long it lasts. It has been in the cabinet for over 7 years now. Looking at this forum alone I see that is a long time for one of these units to last.  I'm sure they are designed knowing that they won't be left out in the open. Besides the top of the cabinet it occupied by a turntable. There is no place else for it to go.

#7 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Well it finally happened. Came home, turned the unit on, and was greeted with a "failed hard drive" message. Now to decide whether to replace with another 622, upgrade to a hopper, or give Direct a go. I'm leaning more toward moving to a hopper. Replacing a 622 and 211 with a hopper and one Joey will increase my bill $6 or $7, correct?

Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   300mag

300mag

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

May want to consider super joey in place of joey and gain 2 additional tuners.

#9 OFFLINE   Crotulus

Crotulus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

I gave Dish a call this morning. They will be shipping out another 622 to me. Between the extra monthly fee and the wasting a day waiting for a tech the Hopper/Joey did not seem worth it. I don't have the protection plan so it cost me $15 for a return shipping label.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...