Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR22 how long available?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Can someone can provide an estimated guess on how much longer D* will be offering the TiVo THR22.
I ask this because my son didn't upgrade his SD TiVo a couple of months ago when we we're eligible for an equipment upgrade... I did though. He definitely wants/needs to upgrade at some point to the THR22 but would like to wait until we're eligible again to avoid paying full price.

I talked to rep at Office of the President and they couldn't/wouldn't verify if they would still be available in even 2 years... what do you think?

What is this Enhanced Content bug I see guys complaining about I don't think my son's SD TiVo has it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

I am just lost on why he'd want that over a genie. Honestly I know that's not what you are asking, but it just doesn't do enough to consider IMHO.

As for how long, I'd guess they have a warehouse full of them still and it will be till they are out of them, which likely will be ages since they don't seem to be very popular.

#3 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I am just lost on why he'd want that over a genie. Honestly I know that's not what you are asking, but it just doesn't do enough to consider IMHO.

Well I didn't mention it but he is blind and has found a way to navigate the TiVo menu via the sounds and just being familiar with it. Don't ask me how be does it but has for years... he's tried to use my Genie but he can't.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

As for how long, I'd guess they have a warehouse full of them still and it will be till they are out of them, which likely will be ages since they don't seem to be very popular.

While this is a special case, I know that there are quite a few that are fiercely loyal to that UI. 

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Nobody here knows how much longer DirecTV will provide the THR22.  But you have a valid concern.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Nobody here knows how much longer DirecTV will provide the THR22.  But you have a valid concern.

Are you saying I shouldn't be surprised if they suddenly quit offering them then?

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

They do have a very limited customer base, while DirecTV does run ads for it they generally aren't well promoted, and they don't have the advantages of the modern Tivos like the Roamio. And Tivo has pretty much forgotten about them in terms of updates etc. Of course this last part works to your son's advantage.

But none of us can really say what the situation will be in two years on availability. Supposedly there are a lot of them sitting around like Susan B. Anthony's.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

If past usage tells us anything about these TiVOs, it will be 5 years before DirecTV® runs out of them.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Directv dealers are already unable to get THR22s and when DIRECTV's own warehouses are out of them, that's it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Directv dealers are already unable to get THR22s and when DIRECTV's own warehouses are out of them, that's it.

Thanks Stuart that's the kind of information I was looking for!

I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that D* had a contract with TiVo until 2017 apparently that's not correct. Are you able to share if there will be a newer TiVo or if D* is through with TiVo?

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Based on the history of the THR22, I wouldn't count on an updated model, certainly any time soon. I believe the THR22 was released two years late. I don't know their contract, but there could also be escape clauses. They also have an agreement with TiVO regarding patent licensing.

#12 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Ok well we've got some decisions to make then can someone answer these questions:

1. Considering his old SD TiVo works fine without any issues (have replaced the HD a few times) what are the major bugs the THR22 has that would be hard to live with?

2. With the THR22 being discontinued what if you got one and needed a replacement for one reason or another?

3. Do you foresee in the near future D* forcing customers to give up their SD TiVo's and upgrade to a HD DVR?

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

1. Dont have a TiVO so can't comment 

2. Pretty sure DirecTV® may have TiVOs on their warehouse for some time to come.

3. Eventually all customers will have to upgrade to HD, whether if by this time there are still offering the HD TiVo, dont know.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Ah I remember now why you need a TiVo for him. Personally I'd try and upgrade sooner rather than latter, maybe see if you can get them to cut you a deal anyway even though it hasn't been to long. They do have a deal with DIRECTV that lasts till 2017, it includes a patent agreement and other things, not just this box, and no one knows how long they are supposed to support them. I would imagine they are refurbing them just like any others, so maybe they will be supported for quite a while.

The only big bug ihave heard about is the forcing of updates at certain times I think late at night, you'd have to look through to find out for sure, but I don't think its something that would keep me from pulling the trigger myself. But you might want to read about it first.

#15 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Ah I remember now why you need a TiVo for him. Personally I'd try and upgrade sooner rather than latter, maybe see if you can get them to cut you a deal anyway even though it hasn't been to long. They do have a deal with DIRECTV that lasts till 2017, it includes a patent agreement and other things, not just this box, and no one knows how long they are supposed to support them. I would imagine they are refurbing them just like any others, so maybe they will be supported for quite a while.

The only big bug ihave heard about is the forcing of updates at certain times I think late at night, you'd have to look through to find out for sure, but I don't think its something that would keep me from pulling the trigger myself. But you might want to read about it first.

Well I've already talked to the Office of the President and floated the idea of getting a discount but she said to check back in 3 to 6 months which could be too late.

There are so many internet threads complaining about the THR22 (about one thing or another) that it's hard to distinguish between a major bug and some quirk they don't like.

Are there any THR22 users here that could list the major bugs (or quirks hard to live with) so we can make an educated decision whether to acquire one now, or sit tight and hope D* doesn't make my son give up his SD TiVo anytime soon?

Edited by mccoady, 04 July 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

If your son was happy with the older DirecTivo, he'll be happy with the THR22. There really aren't any major bugs or quirks to worry about.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#17 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thanks everyone... have a couple more questions.

If we end up having to pay full price for the THR22 will D* install it for free?

If a THR22's hard drive goes bad (and with no replacements in inventory) is adding an external drive a workable solution? I've changed out the internal drive on my son's SD TiVo a couple of times but we do own it.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

If we end up having to pay full price for the THR22 will D* install it for free?

Only DirecTV® can tell you about that. It varies from account to account 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

If a THR22's hard drive goes bad (and with no replacements in inventory) is adding an external drive a workable solution? I've changed out the internal drive on my son's SD TiVo a couple of times but we do own it.

Yes.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ve-to-purchase/

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

If you already have HD, I really don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to install it yourself. It's easier than replacing a hard drive :)

spam firewall