Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead remote means I have to replace receiver.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

Unusual circumstances are forcing me to replace my HR24-500 receiver, it seems, unless someone can think a way out of my bind.  I've got 2 terabytes of stored programs on an esata disk, so it's very irritating.  Here's the problem:

1. My DirecTV remote control broke.  It doesn't emit IR commands any more -- it's just completely dead.
  2. I had the receiver in RF mode, so another working remote that doesn't know my receiver's RF id won't work.
  3. The arrow keys on the front panel of the receiver don't work -- they never have worked, but it never mattered before.  So I can't use the front panel controls to get into the menu and put the receiver into IR mode.

I explained my problem to a D* CSR, who is going to send me a replacement HR24 and remote.  But I wish I could find a way to fix it without losing all my programs.

Greg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:04 AM

Waltz Remote http://waltzremote.com/ (if it's networked) should allow you to send remote control commands via IP. That will allow you to reset the remote setting back to IR in the menu, and give you a way to control temporarily. Then just purchase a replacement remote.

Also, official DirecTV iOS app has the remote control capability as well, again as long as the receiver is networked. 

• GregLee and juniormaj like this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   jerseynewyorker

jerseynewyorker

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

Sounds like coolman has the answer you're looking for. I just wanted to say that I'm surprised that DTV said they will send you a replacement HR24. When I needed mine replaced, they told me that they could not guarantee what model replacement would be sent. Only that it will be an HD DVR.... I wanted the HR24, but they said that whatever is in the warehouse is what I'll get... 

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

You can get a new DirecTV RF remote  and program it to operate the receiver.

The following is from the Remote Manual.

1. Locate the 12 digit Receiver ID (RID) number of your  DIRECTV Receiver.

You can find the RID number on the back panel of your receiver, or inside the CAM access door next to the reset button.

2. Write down the last six digits of the RID number.

3. Slide the mode switch to DIRECTV, AV1, or AV2.

4. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT keys until the green light under the selected switch flashes twice and  release both keys.

5. Using the number keys, enter 9 6 1. (The green light flashes twice.)

6. Press and release CHAN. UP (The green light flashes twice.)

7. Using the NUMBER keys, enter the the last six digits of the RID number. (See step 2 above.)

8. Press and release the SELECT key. (The green light flashes twice.)

Edit: Had to add UP to number six. It is an up arrow in the book and that did not translate when I pasted the instructions into the post.

If you are in a hurry to get it going again, Walmart or Best Buy has the DirecTV remotes. Just be sure it has an "R" after the number. Like RC65R. It can also have an X after the R which is actually preferred since it is 2 way communication with the HR24 receivers.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 July 2014 - 06:25 AM.

• GregLee and veryoldschool like this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

Waltz Remote http://waltzremote.com/ (if it's networked) should allow you to send remote control commands via IP.

Worked great.  Thanks, that was a real lifesaver.

• coolman302003 likes this
Greg

#6 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

If you are in a hurry to get it going again, Walmart or Best Buy has the DirecTV remotes. Just be sure it has an "R" after the number. Like RC65R. It can also have an X after the R which is actually preferred since it is 2 way communication with the HR24 receivers.

Thanks loads.  The waltzremote website worked for me, and I had an old only slightly defective remote lying around, so now I'm back in business.  D* will send me a new remote.  (But they won't send me one with a backlight, like my last one.)

Greg

#7 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

Sounds like coolman has the answer you're looking for. I just wanted to say that I'm surprised that DTV said they will send you a replacement HR24. When I needed mine replaced, they told me that they could not guarantee what model replacement would be sent. Only that it will be an HD DVR.... I wanted the HR24, but they said that whatever is in the warehouse is what I'll get... 

Well, that is what the CSR said, but now I've canceled that order, so we'll never know what I would actually have gotten.  When I first got the HR24, I went through the same thing as you, and I told them I would meet the person making the delivery and if it wasn't an HR24, I'd refuse delivery.  I did meet the guy down on the street, and he had an HR24 for me, so no problem,  However, I noticed that all he had in his truck was stacks of HR24s, so I guess I would have gotten an HR24 in any case.

Greg

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

Supposedly the policy is that HX24 is replaced with HR24, HR44 with HR44, as well as H25, rest is luck of the draw.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thanks loads.  The waltzremote website worked for me, and I had an old only slightly defective remote lying around, so now I'm back in business.  D* will send me a new remote.  (But they won't send me one with a backlight, like my last one.)

Glad you are running again. Thanks for the update.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Supposedly the policy is that HX24 is replaced with HR24, HR44 with HR44, as well as H25, rest is luck of the draw.

Maybe not.  This person got an HR21 to replace their defective HR24 ....

http://www.dbstalk.c...or-an-hr21-200/

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

I've had 3 or 4 HR24s that needed replacement.  The ones shipped from DirecTV were all 24s. Not new though. 

When a tech shows up, you get what is on the truck.  In one case, I got a brand new 24 (for a 20 or 21) but I also got a used 23 for a 21 replacement.

spam firewall