Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fans Canceling SiriusXM Subscriptions in Wake of Cohost’s Firing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Fans Canceling SiriusXM Subscriptions in Wake of Cohost’s Firing

(The Blaze) - “Opie and Anthony” fans are canceling subscriptions to SiriusXM in reaction to the satellite radio company firing cohost Anthony Cumia last week for racially charged tweets, according to The Wrap....

Full Story Here

600x39913.jpg
Anthony Cumia speaks at SiriusXM’s O&A20: Unmasked With Opie & Anthony Special Celebrates 20 Years Of Opie & Anthony at
Carolines On Broadway on April 17, 2014 in New York City. (Image source: Cindy Ord/Getty Images for SiriusXM)

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

While I never have listened to them myself, I was in the car with someone that had it on (who just called to cancel). It seems to me this is kind of their thing. Kind of like "don't hire a shock jock if you don't want them to say anything controversial".

However, I don't see this as a free speech issue like some comments in the original article suggest.

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm a long time listener of O&A.  But, over the past few years, I've found myself turning the show off more and more often due to Anthony's angry and racist rants.  If Sirius wanted to fire Anthony for referring to black people (or Muslims) as "savages" or any of the other slurs that he used in his tweets, they could have done so a long time ago.  They didn't need to wait for him to tweet these slurs, they just needed to listen to the show for a few weeks.

Firing him for tweeting the exact same crap that he's been saying on SirusXM airwaves seems pretty hypocritical to me.  I don't disagree with him being fired.  But it probably should have been done so due to virtually identical show content instead of something written on Twitter.

#4 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Anyone of any race, creed or religion that uses violence like this is a savage, and is not human.

Period.

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#5 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I didn't need O&A to cancel my subscription 5 years ago.  

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

All the news seems to be about his firing.  What happen to the assailants? Were they arrested? Did he file charges against them? After being beat up by six people, was he injured? All the photos seem to be file photos.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

All the news seems to be about his firing.  What happen to the assailants? Were they arrested? Did he file charges against them? After being beat up by six people, was he injured? All the photos seem to be file photos.

Even by his own account, he wasn't beaten up by 6 people.  He was hit by a woman who he called a "n***** cause that's what she WAS!".  "Then she punched me 5 more times"  "Then 5 blacks started giving me s***"

I don't remember where I saw the quote, but he said that he didn't involve the police because he didn't want to waste their time.

#8 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

I have 2 Lifetime subs. I bought in 2005 for 499 plus tax each. I just renewed a 6 month sub. on a Ford Explorer I bought 6 months ago. I listened to Howard Stern when he was first on Sirius and he used the N. word frequently and didn't seem to mind saying it even to Robin Quivers. I think he has censored himself but it's not fair that he get a pass while O. and A. get axed!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...