Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR 24 bad fan and some related questions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Searched and couldn't find a  recent/active topic on this subject...

We just had a fan on our HR24-100 go kaput (operating temp after 1 hour, powered, but turned off, was about 145 F).  My wife called, talked to the CS agent, and they are drop shipping a new unit to us, overnight, for free.  Current unit's about 2 yrs old, and we do have the protection plan.

BUT, here's the kicker: The CS agent told us the he was requesting that the old unit NOT BE returned. He said it's a "dead unit" policy.  They took the DTV card number, and he said that if there is no additional info sent in the next 24 hours, or no shipping carton provided with the new unit, they dont' want it back.

So..here's my question: We have about 50 hours of content on the dead DVR that I can't find streaming anywhere at the moment.  Question: Any way to get the content off?  OR, alternately, continue to use the box with our "whole home" (after I pop the lid and replace the fan..since I no longer have to worry about warrenty issues) JUST to stream the content off of it, before we trash it?  Or will the deactivated card prevent that? Would the "new" activated card allow us to swap the box in JUST to stream that content off of it?

Keep in mind, I'm not looking to do anything that will violate Directv's TOS. If any of the above suggestions do that...it's because I'm not familiar with any potential violation. Just set me straight! :)

We currently have 2 other (so 3, total) DVRs in the house, if that helps.

Thanks for any help on this!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

The only way to get that content off of your defective HR24 is to record those shows in real time to a DVD Recorder, VCR, or PC's video capture hardware/software.   There's no way to transfer them digitally.  Once that old DVR is deactivated, it becomes a boat anchor and you won't be able to view its recordings.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thats what I was afraid of.  I was hoping I could use it as a media server, at least, even if I had to swap in one of the other, activated, DTV cards from another of our DVRs.

I knew there was no way to transfer them digitally....I was just hoping maybe I could make it actually funciton, with a new fan, before pitching it to the recycling center...along side the replacement unit they are sending us.  Again, not long term. I'm not looking to get a free dvr out of Directv....but just until I can get the content that's on there, off.

Edited by pilferk, 07 July 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Get a USB powered fan and put it right where the grill is on the HR24.

Don't activate the new one for a few days.

The cards in them can not be swapped. As soon as it is activated it stores the serial number of the receiver on it. From then on it knows if it has been moved or not and will not work.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

To be on the safe side, check its RID next month to verified it is no longer a lease unit.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

You may be able to watch for a while after it's deactivated if you disconnect the cable before it's officially deactivated. But safest is to keep it activated until you have watched all that you cannot re-record to the new unit. Good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Get a USB powered fan and put it right where the grill is on the HR24.

Don't activate the new one for a few days.

The cards in them can not be swapped. As soon as it is activated it stores the serial number of the receiver on it. From then on it knows if it has been moved or not and will not work.

We tried...it keeps things going for an extra hour or so..but still only get about 2 hours of up time out of it.  Without the extra fan...I can get through 1 44 min show before the temp hits about 145 and approaches shut down. :(

We'll live.  Some of the content will hit netflix late in July (Lost Girl, Continuum)...the rest, hopefully, we'll catch either via repeat, amazon prime, or we'll have to outright buy (Bates Motel, Warehouse 13).

Just frustrating.  You'd think, by now, they'd have a solution for this type of thing....

#8 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

To be on the safe side, check its RID next month to verified it is no longer a lease unit.

Thanks! I'll make sure we do that!  Don't want them thinking we have more units than we do!

#9 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

You may be able to watch for a while after it's deactivated if you disconnect the cable before it's officially deactivated. But safest is to keep it activated until you have watched all that you cannot re-record to the new unit. Good luck!

I'm gonna try some experiments along those lines, once it's deactivated.  See if I can just bring it up with no sat cable and let wifi connect and see what happens.

I think we're just gonna end up losing it.  If I can't be sure....it's not worth the time, $$, and energy of cracking open the old box to replace the fan.  And without a new fan...it's an hour on (or two if I run an external RIGHT on the grates), and 2 or 3 hours off to cool down. Not optimal for binge watching the 50-ish hours of content on there....

Edited by pilferk, 07 July 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

Thanks! I'll make sure we do that!  Don't want them thinking we have more units than we do!

It is because a year down the road, their audit dept may demand you pay for a non-return lease unit.

Edited by Drucifer, 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM.

• jimmie57 likes this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#11 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

It is because a year down the road, their audit dept may demand you pay for a non-return lease unit.

Jeesh, no, definitely do not want that!

I've made a note on our calender to call next month to make sure! We'll hold the box til then, just in case.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Jeesh, no, definitely do not want that!

I've made a note on our calender to call next month to make sure! We'll hold the box til then, just in case.

And if you find still marked as lease -- demand a Recovery Kit.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

I'm gonna try some experiments along those lines, once it's deactivated.  See if I can just bring it up with no sat cable and let wifi connect and see what happens.

I think we're just gonna end up losing it.  If I can't be sure....it's not worth the time, $$, and energy of cracking open the old box to replace the fan.  And without a new fan...it's an hour on (or two if I run an external RIGHT on the grates), and 2 or 3 hours off to cool down. Not optimal for binge watching the 50-ish hours of content on there....

You can experiment now. Just disconnect the sat cable. A cheap USB fan should help!  

I suspect the heat issue is the box, not the external.... The internal HDD runs even when external is active, or so I have been told. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

And if you find still marked as lease -- demand a Recovery Kit.

...or at least an email from DirecTV stating that you don't need to return the receiver.  This way, you have proof, should the question ever arise.

• jimmie57 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   p4594spa

p4594spa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

You may want to put a fan pushing on the input side and a fan pulling on the output side so that you are really get true airflow.

#16 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

You can experiment now. Just disconnect the sat cable. A cheap USB fan should help!  

I suspect the heat issue is the box, not the external.... The internal HDD runs even when external is active, or so I have been told. 

To be clear: NO external drive on this. Just internal storage.  The FAN I have is external (USB, as you suggest).  It helps, a little..but only really extends "up time" by about an hour.

It's DEF the box.

I might run some preliminary experiments today...but my worry is about what happens when the DTV card is deactivated.  And that likely won't "take" until either later tonight or after the new box is activated. 

#17 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

You may want to put a fan pushing on the input side and a fan pulling on the output side so that you are really get true airflow.

I've only got one on hand right now.  I've tried it both ways (intake and outtake) and it doesn't seem to improve things MORE as an outtake than it does as an intake..

Both would probably be optimal, but if it all works out, I'm going to crack the box and replace the internal fan.  I don't want to buy another usb fan, too. If I had a second..I'd defnitely do this, though!

#18 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

If you really want to work at getting everything watched, just have them install the new receiver as a second receiver and don't deactivate the first one.   Once you've watched all you wish from the old one, then call and have it deactivated.  It will only cost you the $6 monthly "extra tv" fee while it is still activated.  The HD and DVR fees are all per account, not per receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#19 OFFLINE   pilferk

pilferk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

If you really want to work at getting everything watched, just have them install the new receiver as a second receiver and don't deactivate the first one.   Once you've watched all you wish from the old one, then call and have it deactivated.  It will only cost you the $6 monthly "extra tv" fee while it is still activated.  The HD and DVR fees are all per account, not per receiver.

I might call back and ask...but I think a condition of drop shipping the new unit was the deactivation of the old. Meaning, if I ask them to leave the old unit active, they'll either charge us for the new one OR the old one.

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I might call back and ask...but I think a condition of drop shipping the new unit was the deactivation of the old. Meaning, if I ask them to leave the old unit active, they'll either charge us for the new one OR the old one.

Not to mention activating the new one without deactivating the old one would trigger a new 2 year agreement.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...