Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about wireless Genie Mini and MDU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

We're moving into an MDU that is served by DirecTV.  We currently rent in a house where we have DirecTV with an HR44 and (2) C41's.

In the new place (MDU) they put one of the cable jacks in a stupid place (behind a pillar) so I was asking about the possibility of using a C41W and the customer service person indicated the building doesn't currently support that type of install.  Just wondering if they need to do something extra in order for a wireless Genie Mini or is she uninformed?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Are you sure the MDU will even support the HR44?? If the Hr44 is supported, then the Wireless client will work also.

#3 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Are you sure the MDU will even support the HR44?? If the Hr44 is supported, then the Wireless client will work also.

When I called to place the order with MultiBand (the MDU installer) they asked about all of my current equipment and said none of it will be an issue.  The building was just renovated about 18 months ago so everything is new (it's an old warehouse that was converted over to "luxury" apartments).

Probably just need to wait and speak to a technician when he comes to install?

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

When I called to place the order with MultiBand (the MDU installer) they asked about all of my current equipment and said none of it will be an issue.  The building was just renovated about 18 months ago so everything is new (it's an old warehouse that was converted over to "luxury" apartments).

Probably just need to wait and speak to a technician when he comes to install?

Yes, probably. They need to allocate enough ports on the SWM to support the number of tuners you have (5). The clients don't take SWM tuner slots so you could install the client and the wireless bridge inside your apartment using an SWS splitter without it affecting any of the "external" equipment. FYI the installer is going to have to install a band-stop filter between your system and the MDU setup to avoid your whole home DVR.getting mixed up with your neighbors.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Sure they work, but Wireless Clients may not be part of the MDU contract with DirecTV® 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Sure they work, but Wireless Clients may not be part of the MDU contract with DirecTV® 

Is it possible to purchase and activate a wireless client without contacting DirecTV or the MDU company?

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

It is possible through your favorite third party vendor (I'm sure others here will be happy to suggest one)
  • swallman likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Is it possible to purchase and activate a wireless client without contacting DirecTV or the MDU company?

http://www.solidsign...=C41W&ss=210262

You'll still need to contact DirecTV (or your building's MDU provider) to get it activated.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...