Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C51 Reciever Info

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbiggers

cbiggers

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Anyone notice the RVU alliance posted the Directv C51 reciever was a certified product a few months ago? 

http://www.rvualliance.org/products

Anyone know whats different? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Even if they knew they couldn't talk about it here.  

• JACKIEGAGA likes this

#3 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Even if they knew they couldn't talk about it here.  

:up:

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

If you dig around the FCC's site, you can probably find some information about it, like dimensions, types of wireless it uses, etc. so you could figure out some of the "different" about it - but maybe it is just redesigned to be cheaper but doesn't include any new capabilities.

One would think there's a HR54 coming to pair with it, and that would either be cheaper to make than the 44 or include new features like 4K support. If the latter they'd need a 4K client, too.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,347 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

DIRECTV announced last December that the Genie was coming to Latin America in 2014 so it looks like Brazil and Mexico (the DIRECTV LA divisions that kept the SKY name) could be getting some love soon.

Still no approved RVU servers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,347 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

If the latter they'd need a 4K client, too.

4K is an extension of RVU 2.0. These guys are RVU 1.0.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Why don't I remember the C30 ?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Why don't I remember the C30 ?

It was never released, only used for internal testing (and maybe BETA testers?), replaced by the C31.  I think it was shown along with the HMC30 (which turned into the HR34) at CES back in like 2008 or something like that.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

If I recall the prototype was about the size of an H24.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

DIRECTV announced last December that the Genie was coming to Latin America in 2014 so it looks like Brazil and Mexico (the DIRECTV LA divisions that kept the SKY name) could be getting some love soon.

That's what the SC51 is - a C51 for Sky.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

It was never released, only used for internal testing (and maybe BETA testers?), replaced by the C31. I think it was shown along with the HMC30 (which turned into the HR34) at CES back in like 2008 or something like that.

Okay that's makes sense, I remember seeing it with HMC30

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

You do realize you are the only one on the planet that has any concern abut RVU servers right?
  • damondlt likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

You do realize you are the only one on the planet that has any concern abut RVU servers right?

No he's not.  I'd love to see some more RVU servers announced/produced.  Imagine being able to buy one ROKU or AppleTV RVU server that could stream to any of the TVs in your house.  Imagine a Blu-Ray jukebox that could hold your entire collection and play to any TV in the house, etc.

I'd also like to see some more RVU clients.  Maybe instead of an AppleTV or ROKU RVU server, just make them RVU clients so they could be used instead of C31/C41 or RVU TVs.  Or build RVU client software into Blu Ray players, etc. 

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't build an RVU client into the xbox one.  They want this system to be on "input 1".  In fact there's HDMI passthrough, IR blasting and overlay for that reason.  But if they had RVU client, it could be the box that did DirecTV, OTT, and games all in one... finally living up to its name the xbox "one".  

Also instead of relying on tricky overlays, IR blasting and HDMI passthrough, for cable customers they should of made it be able to talk to silicon dust hd home run cable card tuner, or even the ceton cable card tuner and then you have a box that can do premium cable, direcTV RVU, AND all the other xbox internet stuff / games.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#15 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't build an RVU client into the xbox one.  They want this system to be on "input 1".  In fact there's HDMI passthrough, IR blasting and overlay for that reason.  But if they had RVU client, it could be the box that did DirecTV, OTT, and games all in one... finally living up to its name the xbox "one".  

Also instead of relying on tricky overlays, IR blasting and HDMI passthrough, for cable customers they should of made it be able to talk to silicon dust hd home run cable card tuner, or even the ceton cable card tuner and then you have a box that can do premium cable, direcTV RVU, AND all the other xbox internet stuff / games.

can they over lay on top of RVU? What about copyright / DHCP issues?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

This is no different of what ids being done now 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

It overlays on top of HDMI, so it can overlay on anything that outputs HDMI.

Whether the overlays look good/fit well with the native GUI on the device is another matter :rotfl:

#18 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of suprised they haven't included it either.  Especially since they seem to be almost giving up on Windows Media Center on their PCs.

I still don't think Sony has released the update for the PS3 or included RVU on the PS4 yet either have they?  They said they were going to add it to the PS3 over a year ago.

-by Jack Handy

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of suprised they haven't included it either.  Especially since they seem to be almost giving up on Windows Media Center on their PCs.

I still don't think Sony has released the update for the PS3 or included RVU on the PS4 yet either have they?  They said they were going to add it to the PS3 over a year ago.

Probably because RVU isn't really a standard, as Directv is only the one who uses it in a "server" role. It is easy to suggest "they should support everything" like cypherx wants, but there are costs attached to doing it, and making sure it works in the future. If the Xbox One supported third party apps then Directv could make a RVU client if they wanted, but why would Directv bother? From their perspective the clients already exist and it costs the customer the same to use one as it does to use a Xbox.

Microsoft's whole idea with the HDMI passthru was explicitly NOT to have to support all the million different types of TV watching devices, and try to make them all controlled by the Xbox. I think the whole HDMI passthru strategy is stupid, but they aren't exactly known for coming up with user friendly solutions.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

No he's not.  I'd love to see some more RVU servers announced/produced.  Imagine being able to buy one ROKU or AppleTV RVU server that could stream to any of the TVs in your house.  Imagine a Blu-Ray jukebox that could hold your entire collection and play to any TV in the house, etc.

I'd also like to see some more RVU clients.  Maybe instead of an AppleTV or ROKU RVU server, just make them RVU clients so they could be used instead of C31/C41 or RVU TVs.  Or build RVU client software into Blu Ray players, etc. 

Yes he is.  Your concern is identical to mine and has validity and matters.  He is harping on, as he has been since the hr34 was introduced, that the hr34 and hr44 are not listed as certified rvu servers on the rvu web site.  That really is meaningless at this point and is simply his way of continuing to be negative in a directv forum.  That's it.

I completely agree with you about getting more servers and clients form all manufacturers, but I think the reality is, tvs need to be clients and almost everyone else needs to become servers in the long run to make this a viable option.  I am not sure if making an xbox a client will propel the technology, but if it was a server, that would be huge.  Problem is XBOX wants to control everything instead of the tv,, and I don't see them becoming both, although that would then allow them to control everything in the system on every tv someone has in their house if you think about it...

And if Samsung made their blu ray players servers, that would be great for the consumer, in some ways, but it would likely cut sales for them too, so I am not sure we will ever see companies really go that route, unless its cable and sats companies, which is what is happening right now with all of them.  

spam firewall