Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand & Internet Usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Has anyone else had issues with the on demand service using up all your Internet Data usage allowance?  On Thursday of last week I attempted to watch Batman off the HBO On Demand Site.  I noticed Friday evening it was still downloading.  I didn't know it was even downloading because it had started playing when I started it.  I got an email from Cox stating that my usage for the month had gone over  When I looked at the meter it showed 80GB used on Thursday and 160GB used on Friday.  I called Cox to figure out how that happened.  The first question the rep asked was if I had tried to use DirecTV on demand.  Since then I have not used any of their on demand services and have streamed through my Roku player for hours at a time with barely any usage.  Does DirecTV have a flaw in their on demand system or did I do something wrong?  I have the little internet deviced hard wired into my Router.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Wow, that's a ton of usage, I've downloaded on demand before it never used that much. My internet provider actually has a monthly usage limit but only during peak hours which they consider to be 5pm - 2am, so if I know I want to watch an on demand movie ahead of time I'll download the movie when it's off peak, then I can download as much as I want.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I wouldn't expect a feature length movie to be more than 3GB. 240GB is at least ten times the size of a typical blu-ray movie.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'v never had an issue with CentruyLink.  My sister did, but not for On Demand.  She and my mom were streaming the video feed from the Jodi Arias trial for hours a day after HLN and TruTV started time delaying the coverage.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

It could be that you have a "flaky" internet connection and the movie is failing download and it keeps trying thus consuming more data

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

We have a seen a few reports here of "runaway" internet usage, even without downloading OnDemand stuff.  Usually a red button reset fixes that. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...