Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AM21 Off-Air Tuner Problems

AM21

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   directvuser

directvuser

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMarquette, MI

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hello. I have a DirecTV HR24-100 DVR and I recently purchased the AM21 Off-Air Tuner to receive off air channels. Before I bought it, I had my antenna hooked up directly to the TV. I was getting 6 channels. All were around 55-60% signal strength. I hooked up the AM21, did the Initial Setup and everything, and now I'm only getting 3 channels. I was getting channel 13-1, 13-2, 13-3, 19-1, 19-2 and 19-3, now I'm only getting 13-1, 13-2 and 13-3. I am not sure why. The channel 19's (WZMQ) are my favorites. Why is this happening?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

most likely the missing channels are not in DirecTV® database for your zip code(s). 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

WZMQ 19-1 and 19-2 seem to be in Directv's database, but not 19-3. I say seem to be, because it is listed as being in Marquette (which makes sense from the call sign) in the listing of Directv satellite provided locals, but is listed as being in Little Rock in the OTA database :)

Assuming is actually in the database, your TV may well have a higher quality (newer) tuner in it than the AM21, and you probably have some sort of reception impairment like multipath that your TV's tuner is able to compensate for that the AM21's tuner is not.

If that's the case, unless you can improve your reception by using a better antenna or better placement for your antenna, there isn't much you can do. Is your antenna located on the roof or is it indoor? If it is indoor, get an outdoor antenna. If it is outdoor, check tvfool.com for the exact direction to that channel 19 and make sure the location of the antenna is not blocked by trees or buildings (to whatever extent that is possible depending on your surroundings) If the multipath is caused by something distant, like hilly terrain, you may be SOL as far as getting the AM21 to work.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

As slice1900 says, your TV tuner is probably better than the AM21 tuner. And if you are only getting 55-60% on your TV tuner, that's a pretty low signal. Chances are you just need a better antenna, or as slice says you have a multipath issue.

#5 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

I agree with the other people to post, that it probably is a antenna reception (signal strength to weak) for the AM21 to pick the channel up. Since 19.1 and 19.2 are in D* database you should get them if your signal is strong enough. A couple things I would try. Try running Mar. as your primary zip and Madison WI (53701) as your secondary zip. Madison runs ANTENNATV on 15.3 RF19 and if your antenna is picking up the channel you will get 19.3 with the correct guide. If that doesn't work maybe run Mar. and Little Rock AR (72076) as a secondary zip. Since the channel is listed wrong it might pick it up with the Little Rock zip. Still, your AM21 should receive 19.1 and 19.2 in Marquette if your antenna is picking the signal up. And if your antenna does receive the signal, by running Madison as a secondary zip, you will get 19.3 also.

#6 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Could very well be the directv database, this year they dropped 3 channels I watch in the SF Bay Area that got very strong signals, they worked for years then we're gone in one day on all three hr20 units. This was not a signal problem and others have reported the same thing. Please call to complain, I see no reason for them to do this to us. Thats a possibility but it could be low signal or try adding the secondary market.

#7 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

You can also use a splitter to split your antenna signal with one line to the DTV receiver and the other to the TV.  That way you won't be able to record your channel 19-* channels but you will be able to watch them live on the TV.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AM21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...