Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quick Guide done in by soccer Scoreguide on ESPN?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

I noticed while watching ESPN I could not call up the Quick Guide of 9 channels (by pressing the up arrow above select).

At first I thought my RF remote had gotten some sticky buttons and went out and bought a new one.

I still noticed the same problem on ESPN and ESPN2 with the new remote.

I was able to call up the Quick guide when tuned to any other channels.

Finally I noticed that when I tuned to ESPN / ESPN2 AND THEN HIT THE EXIT BUTTON I was then able to call up the Quick Guide by pressing the up arrow key above Select. 

This is only a recent problem (last 2 weeks) and I suspect it has something to do with the combo scoreguide (World Cup and reg scoreguide) that has appeared on ESPN and ESPN 2 during the World Cup.

Its almost like you have to exit out of the score guide option before you can use the Quick Guide.

This is not true on any other sports channel (say YES, NESN, local Comcast or Fox sports) as you can either select the red dot to get the old scoreguide (without the world cup options) or going directly to the Quick guide by selecting the up arrow above select.

I was going crazy with this for the past two weeks until I discovered I needed to hit the EXIT key BEFORE I could call up the Quick Guide.

What the hell gives here? Will this go away after the World Cup and ESPN / ESPN@ carries the old scoreguide that every other sports channel has?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

You have to exit the active portion of any "Active" channel before that channel acts like a normal channel.

Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

#3 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

You have to exit the active portion of any "Active" channel before that channel acts like a normal channel.

What is an 'active channel' ?  I've never had to hit an EXIT button to call up the Quick Guide before. Having to select another button (Exit) before calling up the Quick Guide seems somewhat self-defeating to the 'Quick' feature. Also why would this be required for ESPN / ESPN2 but not for other channels? Those other channels would seem to be just as active as ESPN / ESPN2 when I try to use the Quick Guide which works fine with them. 

If I had entered the scoreguide option, I might see why hitting EXIT might be required to rest things so the Quick Guide could be called. But this problem occurs without even touching the combo scoreguide on ESPN / ESP2.

As has always been the case, calling up the scoreguide and hitting the red clear on-screen button lets you call up the scoreguide again. As has always been the case, calling up the scoreguide and hitting the EXIT button on the remote removes the scoreguide from the screen and you cannot call-up the scoreguide subsequently without changing the channel.  

None of this behavior is new for either the old scoreguide or new combo scoreguide on ESPN / ESPN2.

What is new is that you still have to hit EXIT sometime after tuning to ESPN / ESPN2 (either immediately after tuning to the channel or as part of the process to exit the scoreguide) to be able to use the Quick Guide feature.

I have used the Quick Guide feature (up arrow above select) to probably make 90 % of my channels changes over the last 5 years. It is just behaving differently in the last two weeks. 

It is a beautiful but poorly documented and advertised feature. I have had to show it to just about every other person I know who has Direct TV.

#4 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

I've been trying to find somebody else that's experiencing the same behavior. Thank you, I'm not going crazy. I love both the Quick Tune feature and Double Play. Use both all the time. It seems this newest behavior to hit EXIT to clear the way for DP/QT is new ever since the RED 'Launch Menu' button in the lower left showed up. I don't need the ScoreGuide/LaunchMenu feature available. Let me choose if it shows on the display. I'm dreaming I know. The way it is now is a step back in customer satisfaction IMO.

#5 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

I've been thru two other Directv forums and three calls to the techs at Directv (replacement HR24 sent) over the last two weeks. Can't believe we are the only one's that experience this. It's got to be the World Cup menu. I just hope they figure it out before foootball season starts. If it's still the same then I'll have to make some decisions.

#6 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 813 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'll chime in, my HR21 won't do double play on ESPN with the world cup menu.  I have to channel up and back down to ESPN to clear it up then it will allow me to double play to the other tuner.  I figured once the world cup is over things will be back to normal, so I hope.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#7 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Can't believe we are the only one's that experience this.

You aren't. I've just gotten into the habit of hitting exit and trying again when I want to access quick tune or double play when I'm on one of the channels causing this. Yes it is a pain.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

I have gotten into the habit of pressing the Exit button whenever I leave a channel that has Active content.

If you don't the receiver responds slowly to remote requests until the Active session is dumped.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I don't get why Directv would configure the extra menu feature this way. It's never been this way when they do the same thing during the Masters or other sporting events. At the least you would think the CSR's would be informed of this so when people like me call in wondering if something is afoul that Directv would avoid unnecessary expenses like sending out replacement DVR's for no reason. I talked to three different CSR's over the last two weeks and none of them knew of this 'active' status and two of them didn't even know what Double Play was. Had to explain it to them before I could explain what the problem was. If it were just me using the TV I'd live with it but I have very elderly people with me and extra button presses that are needed on only certain channels just doesn't make for a very happy viewer. I finally got them to understand and use the Quick Tune feature and now the learning curve starts all over again.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

I don't get why Directv would configure the extra menu feature this way. ....

It might be a bug.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

I suspect it may be only when DirecTV has the multiple channels going as they did for WC and Wimbledon recently. I don't have a problem with this, as I don't use QuickTune (I always select from the List), nor do I use trick play (the double play feature, that is) as I am switching between recorded shows ,and prefer the Prev. button. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Now that the WC is over Double Play works correctly on ESPN channels. I'm just hoping the British Open menu doesn't have this 'quirk'.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Now that the WC is over Double Play works correctly on ESPN channels. I'm just hoping the British Open menu doesn't have this 'quirk'.

Don't hold your breath! 

Nice avatar, BTW.

Innings 5 and 6 will go down in Giants history! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Eben

Eben

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

I'll chime in, my HR21 won't do double play on ESPN with the world cup menu.  I have to channel up and back down to ESPN to clear it up then it will allow me to double play to the other tuner.  I figured once the world cup is over things will be back to normal, so I hope.

I realize the world cup is over, but when watching an ESPN channel live, I found that if I hit the play button, which brings up the progress bar, I could then hit down for double play.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...