Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Contract HR-44?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ncage

ncage

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hey guys, i just signed up for DTV which they will install this Saturday. Will i for sure get a HR-44 (which is what i want) or is it possible that they might give me a HR-34? I thought that it was a 100% that i would get the newer unit but another thread on here made me feel like its not a sure thing i will get the newer unit.

Edit: Oh and one more thing is the unit mine or does DTV technically still own it? I signed up directly through DTVs website

Edited by ncage, 08 July 2014 - 08:51 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

The unit belongs to DirecTV® and must be return upon canceling your services.  You may get what ever the tech has on his truck, most likely an HR44

• ncage likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   ncage

ncage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

The unit belongs to DirecTV® and must be return upon canceling your services.  You may get what ever the tech has on his truck, most likely an HR44

I guess i'm picky so i'll make sure its a HR-44 before he starts. Kind of weird how they show you the price of $299 that your saving when its just a rental fee and not technically yours :).

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Is not a rental fee, it is a one time lease fee which most new customers get it "waived" as part of the new customer promo 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   ncage

ncage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. If he tries to give me an HR-34 and i demand a HR-44....will the truck most likely have both types so he can swap it out with an HR-44?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

90% of the time there is only one model if receiver in the truck. So if all he has is a 34 you can either take or reschedule until a 44 is available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

The installer will likely call you when he is on his way to your house.  This would be the time to ask him if he has an HR44 on the truck.  If not, you can cancel the install before he gets there or depending on the proximity between him, your house and the warehouse (or other installers in the area), give him the opportunity to pick one up.

#8 OFFLINE   ncage

ncage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Good point

The installer will likely call you when he is on his way to your house.  This would be the time to ask him if he has an HR44 on the truck.  If not, you can cancel the install before he gets there or depending on the proximity between him, your house and the warehouse (or other installers in the area), give him the opportunity to pick one up.

Good point Bill, at least i would save him some running back and forth.  Great time to makes sure he has the newer unit. 

When you schedule an install you have a little section where you can write up notes for the installer. Unfortunately when i first scheduled it i didn't realize it was possible to get a 34 so i didn't write up anything. I called directv to see if they could modify the notes to the installer to including asking him to make sure he brings a 44 unit. I confused the heck out of operator :P. He at first told me they are the same and i educated him to tell him that they are not. The 34 can do wireless (which i plan to actually do at some point). Anyways i couldn't get him to update the notes. Then i actually had a scheduling conflict so i had to schedule the appointment for the next day. That allowed me to update the notes section. I explained in the notes that i wanted the 44 unit. So hopefully the installer reads them before coming out if not i will make sure and ask him when he calls me prior to the install.

I know in the future i will end up using wireless in a spare bedroom but i don't need it now. I'm sure even if i wasn't doing wireless i would still want the newer unit :)

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Both the HR34 and HR44 can support wireless clients, the HR44 is the only one that can connect wirelessly to your internet but you really want a hard wire connection if at all possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Anyways i couldn't get him to update the notes. Then i actually had a scheduling conflict so i had to schedule the appointment for the next day. That allowed me to update the notes section. I explained in the notes that i wanted the 44 unit. So hopefully the installer reads them before coming out if not i will make sure and ask him when he calls me prior to the install.

The tech will NOT see the notes.  Adding notes to a work order is a waste of time.  It's ridiculous that DirecTV even has a place to enter notes, since they don't make their way to the installer.

• damondlt and jimmie57 like this

#11 OFFLINE   ncage

ncage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

The tech will NOT see the notes.  Adding notes to a work order is a waste of time.  It's ridiculous that DirecTV even has a place to enter notes, since they don't make their way to the installer.

Ok i was not aware of that. Good to know for the future.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Ok i was not aware of that. Good to know for the future.

Twice when they came to my house they had no information other than how many receivers I needed.

The main problem is that they sub out a lot of the installations and the 2 different companies use different computer systems and the original notes do not transfer to the actual installer.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   bobdigi

bobdigi

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

My Directv installer installed my system yesterday and he had HR-44's on the truck. Looking at this thread today I'm glad he did because I didnt ask beforehand. Good luck to you ncage.

#14 OFFLINE   ncage

ncage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Ya i'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm sure this installer might pause after my request (probably never heard this one before).

Anyways i'm going to be pretty picky on my install. Last time i had directv about 8 years ago the installer did a HORRIBLE job. I had cables laying on my grass and had the cables stretched through my basement about stomach level so if you walked through the basement they would hit you in the stomach. I ended up having to call directv and get mad. They said they wanted to send the installer back out but i said nope i don't want him back to my house which caused the his manager to come out. This time i will be monitoring what they installer is doing closely. Also i don't want the dish mounted to my house in a non-destructive way which probably means a pole mount but i'm possible open to possibly mounting it to the rake area of the house. My only worry with the pole mount is it not being stable. I'm sure if its done right it will be but you know how that goes. 

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

The tech will NOT see the notes.  

Not necessarily.  He will not see them until the job gets dispatched to him, after that the notes are available to him.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Also i don't want the dish mounted to my house in a non-destructive way which probably means a pole mount 

Be prepared to pay a custom charge for a pole mount of $75.00

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Aren't tech able to read and leave notes using their handheld? 

#18 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

DirecTv installed for me here today - got an HR44-500. Guy here (central Maine) said that is all they are doing for new installs now

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

Aren't tech able to read and leave notes using their handheld? 

Yes, but only after job is dispatch to the tech, which is when tech is in route 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

DirecTv installed for me here today - got an HR44-500. Guy here (central Maine) said that is all they are doing for new installs now

Far from the truth.  That is what he had on his truck

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall