Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ACA urges FCC to make DirecTV and Dish pay regulatory fees

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

(FierceCable.com) - The American Cable Association is petitioning the Federal Communications Commission to impose regulatory fees on DBS providers DirecTV and Dish Network equal to those currently charged to cable providers.

Currently, DirecTV and Dish pay less burdensome regulatory fees as satellite operators, which amount to about 6 cents per every subscriber, according to the ACA....

111124_fcc_westcott_328.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

GREAT here we go with more fees. Just what we need.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,898 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

The ACA is looking for a easy out rather than making their service more competitive.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

ACA, NABA, MPAA, RIAA, BSA, AARP

Why do letters make people so full of themselves?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Post-merger, perhaps AT&T will end up having to pay the "cable" fee for all Directv customers anyway, depending on how the law is written.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

The ACA is looking for a easy out rather than making their service more competitive.

I'm not sure how what you're saying makes sense.  The FCC charges these fees and they charge less to DBS than they do to cable.  The ACA is basically just asking the FCC to level the playing field with regard to the fees that the FCC charges.  This has nothing to do with these companies making themselves more competitive.  The only way the cable companies can really do that... is if they pay the same fees as the DBS companies.

Edited by jpl, 10 July 2014 - 09:52 AM.

• damondlt likes this

#7 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

They should add a BWC  Because We Can fees.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

(FierceCable.com) - The American Cable Association is petitioning the Federal Communications Commission to impose regulatory fees on DBS providers DirecTV and Dish Network equal to those currently charged to cable providers.

The fee has to be for something. The ACA needs to tell us why (other than competitive reasons).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

It's a dollar, they don't tell us anything!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#10 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure how what you're saying makes sense. The FCC charges these fees and they charge less to DBS than they do to cable. The ACA is basically just asking the FCC to level the playing field with regard to the fees that the FCC charges. This has nothing to do with these companies making themselves more competitive. The only way the cable companies can really do that... is if they pay the same fees as the DBS companies.

Agree, and we are talking about $1
If any thing it's Directv who needs to improve their product for what we already pay.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

The fee has to be for something. The ACA needs to tell us why (other than competitive reasons).

It's an government agency. I am sure they will find a way to spend it. :)
  • damondlt likes this

#12 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

I don't think this makes sense either.  They need to explain why they don't want to be charged more by the government than their competition?  Really?  I think it's pretty self-evident.  The FCC charges DBS providers less than they charge cable companies... even though they're supposed to be in the same business.  I think it's incumbent on the FCC to explain why, after they've worked to try to level the playing field in other regards, they charge cable companies more.  In fact, I would go further - there are legal requirements on cable companies that don't exist against other similar types of providers.  If the FCC is interested in trying to create a more level playing field then they need to justify why one sector of the industry deserves to pay more than the other sectors.  BTW, I'm not advocating that the FCC raise the DBS fees.  I think they should lower them (hell, eliminate them) across the board.  And yeah, it's only a dollar... but it's a dollar per subscriber.  How many households have cable/satellite?  100 million?  Wonder why the FCC charges that fee...

Edited by jpl, 10 July 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Do you know why they put all those restrictions and charges on cable companies and did not on Satellite companies?  There is good reason that cable companies or more heavily regulated in some ways than Satellite companies are, and I see no reason that Sat companies should have to pay the same as cable companies since they are so much harder to control than Sat companies. 

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

One nugget to get out there, and I don't know if it applies to the conversation here... but since it might.

Be careful about "FCC fees"... because there are fees that show up on utility bills that are labeled as an "FCC" fee that are nothing of the kind.  I went through this with a phone company many years ago where they insisted that the FCC "required" them to charge a particular fee.  A little digging, and talking with the FCC... and the truth was, the phone company wanted to charge a fee and they wanted to charge more BUT the FCC said "no, we will allow you to charge your customers for this thing you have deemed necessary but your fee cannot exceed $5"... so in truth, it was purely a phone company fee but they didn't like the FCC putting a cap on what they could charge, so they called it a "FCC Access Fee" or some other such nonsense.

That said...

Any actual regulatory fees charged to satellite or cable,  might necessarily be different because of the ways these companies operate.  For the most part Dish and DirecTV do not have a significant presence in most of the states where they provide service.  Whereas the cable company does have significant presence everything that they provide service.  It stands to reason that this would result in more regulation of the cable company than a satellite company.

It's a whole different discussion IF someone brings up a problem that further regulation might help OR reducing regulation might help... but I can't say off-hand that both companies should be regulated the same.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

We need to be certain that these "fees" that we're talking about are what we think they are.

I suspect that what the ACA (and NCTA) is after is recovery on their franchise fees, not some mystery fee that is being charged by a state or federal government. Franchise fees are fees that the cablecos pay for their exclusive rights to operate in a jurisdiction as well as the "rent" on passage of their transmission lines through public rights-of-way.

There is no analog to franchising for satellite.

Edited by harsh, 12 July 2014 - 09:54 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Be careful about "FCC fees"... because there are fees that show up on utility bills that are labeled as an "FCC" fee that are nothing of the kind.  I went through this with a phone company many years ago where they insisted that the FCC "required" them to charge a particular fee.

I've known about these "cost recovery fees" from the beginning and I'm still not happy about it. You're right about the companies lying through their teeth about them being required. I get that pitch all the time from sales weasels. I have to remind them that most of these fees are "allowed" as opposed to "mandated".

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I suspect that what the ACA (and NCTA) is after is recovery on their franchise fees, not some mystery fee that is being charged by a state or federal government.

You suspect incorrectly. As clearly stated in the article: "Currently, cable operators pay a regulatory fee to the FCC of about $1 per subscriber--a charge that dropped from around $1.02 per sub in 2013, when the FCC started charging Internet protocol TV (IPTV) operators regulatory fees."

They are talking about a fee charged by the federal government, not local franchise fees.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

You suspect incorrectly. As clearly stated in the article: "Currently, cable operators pay a regulatory fee to the FCC of about $1 per subscriber--a charge that dropped from around $1.02 per sub in 2013, when the FCC started charging Internet protocol TV (IPTV) operators regulatory fees."

They are talking about a fee charged by the federal government, not local franchise fees.

Our cable TV services have FCC and Local franchise Fees.

Our Internet has none of these fees.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#19 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Satellite and cable have always been regulated differently, not saying that it is good but it's true. Just look at the rules that satellite has to deal with when it comes to locals that cable doesn't have to deal with. So sure if your going to "level the playing field" then lets not just look at fees but also the regulations themselves, after all cable companies don't have to worry about DMA's and where those lines are drawn, they're allowed to offer any locals that make sense for the area they serve.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Satellite and cable have always been regulated differently, , after all cable companies don't have to worry about DMA's and where those lines are drawn, they're allowed to offer any locals that make sense for the area they serve.

They are tightening their belts on those DMA rules even with cable.
Our local cable lost 3 networks in the past 2 years to the dreaded networks crying over territories.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...