Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite operator Dish Network has come out against the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,581 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

Satellite operator Dish Network has come out against the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

(Time.com) - Satellite operator Dish Network has come out against the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable. The pay-TV giant voiced its concerns with the pending merger in a meeting with the Federal Communications Commission earlier this week, according to a filing released Wednesday....

Comcast_timewarner.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,655 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

Somebody hand Charlie a crying towel.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yea really, poor charlie, just pissed because no one wants to merge with him.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,702 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Another instance where everyone else stands back and let's Charlie take the heat.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Charlie hasn't done anything to benifit his customers or anyone but himself.
So let him take the heat.
Only thing he's worried about is less money in his own pocket.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,277 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

I don't think Mr. Ergen is worried about money.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Another instance where everyone else stands back and let's Charlie take the heat.

Fools rush in? Dunno, just offering a different viewpoint.

BTW, "let's" is a contraction for "let us".

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

It is easy to throw insults. When I make as much as Mr Ergen I'll tell him how to run his business.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

I'd bet Dish would be using the same reasons AT&T are using why a merger is good if it was Dish/DIRECTV that wanted to merge.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • damondlt likes this

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

It is easy to throw insults. When I make as much as Mr Ergen I'll tell him how to run his business.

We are very well aware how charlie runs his business. So is Tivo, Rainbow Media, The State of Washington, CBS, Fox, Disney , Sprint and Harbinger.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Demonstrating once again how easy it is to throw insults. :rolleyes:
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Demonstrating once again how easy it is to throw insults. :rolleyes:

It's truth , not my fault they are insulting.
But it's not for you to take personal. It's only Charlie.
  • MysteryMan likes this

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

So ... do YOU support the merger of Time Warner and Comcast or do you agree with Mr Ergen?

(Or is your hatred of Mr Ergen and DISH Network that can be found throughout your posts to the point where you agree with the merger of Time Warner and Comcast just because DISH is against it?)

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

So ... do YOU support the merger of Time Warner and Comcast or do you agree with Mr Ergen?

(Or is your hatred of Mr Ergen and DISH Network that can be found throughout your posts to the point where you agree with the merger of Time Warner and Comcast just because DISH is against it?)

I support the merger just fine. I have no issues with it.
I would have supported a Dish/Directv merger .

Mergers I don't support 100% anymore are cell phone companies.
Charlie is just acting like a baby, because he screwed everyone he did business with, so now he's up Sh! T creek, and getting desperate. If Directv, and Att, weren't in the process of a merger along with Comcast and Time warner, and Charlie would have sealed the deal with sprint, You think he would care? I dont!

Charlie needed a merger more than anyone, stated many times for dishes survival, and sprint took less money to get away from Dish, What's that tell you?

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Dish and DirecTV did try to merge... and I could be wrong, but I thought the cable companies didn't like it.  Turnabout is fair play with the shoe on the other foot (and other one-liners I haven't thought of).

• gregleg likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#16 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,581 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Update: Dish Network, Comcast trade jabs at Senate hearing

(Bizjournals.com) - The mega-Comcast would serve nearly half of the residential Internet customers in the nation, Jeffrey Blum, Dish Network's senior vice president and deputy general counsel, told the panel Wednesday.

Comcast Executive Vice President David Cohen said it would be more like 30 percent, according to recent data from the Federal Communications Commission.

Either way, Dish's Blum said, if Comcast were to serve a majority of broadband customers, that would pose a threat to companies like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu — all of which are competing for traditional TV viewers, but need to go through Comcast’s broadband to get to consumers....

cohen-comcast*600xx3992-2667-0-0.jpg
David Cohen, executive vice president of Comcast.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#17 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

"

Either way, Dish's Blum said, if Comcast were to serve a majority of broadband customers, that would pose a threat to companies like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu — all of which are competing for traditional TV viewers, but need to go through Comcast’s broadband to get to consumers.

This would incentivize Comcast to weaken the connection and service of their competitors, Blum said.

Cohen rebutted, saying it’s not in Comcast’s business interest to block or degrade any content, “whether competitive or not,” adding that Comcast would “lose customers” if it did so."

Um, in what world, Mr Cohen?    You're assuming that Comcast does not have an effective Monopoly in the areas where they serve their customers.  Customer choice to cease doing business with Comcast is only valid if there's a viable alternative.   There might be alternatives in some select areas (verizon fios, google fibre, etc) but by and large, the cable company has a monopoly by virtue of an agreement with the towns/cities in which the customers reside.

Comcast even notes this when saying that Comcast and Time Warner do not compete with each other for a given customer, therefor allowing them to merge won't reduce competition {in the cable and ISP space}

However, Dish's point that it gives Comcast leverage to screw over content providers is another issue entirely.  

Edited by koralis, 20 July 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#18 ONLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

I had the same thought when I read that line.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...