Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie upgrade, thinking ahead...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bishop1424

bishop1424

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'm looking to do a protection plan eligible upgrade to a two rig system (HR22-100 w/AM21 & HR20-100S) to a Genie and remote client; I also have a DSR708 AND HR10-250 on the account but not in service (don't ask). The system is being fed by a Slimeline-5 dish, 6x8 Multiswith and a coax run from the OTA to both the HR20 and AM21; each DVR is hardwired with Cat5 with whole home. I've attached photos of my existing equipment in the event that any of the model numbers posted above are inaccurate.

Ideally, I'd like the Genie to replace the HR22/AM21 as that is our current workhorse, while replacing the HR20 with the HR22 which has a lot of recording we'd like to finish AND the TV it's feeding only has component inputs. The DSR708, HR10 & HR20 can be returned/recycled/decommissioned; a second WIRELESS client (guest bedroom/basement) would be a nice, but not necessary, touch. In general, I can imagine needing more than the 5 tuners on the Genie plus the 2 tuners on the HR22.

I am pretty confident I'll need to upgrade the dish/multiswitch in order to take use the SMiW features required by the Genie and client(s). I'm going to have the following drops put into place prior to the D* installers arrival but I am concerned about the NUMBER of drops needed between:

1. dish to the multiswitch
  2. multiswitch to the genie
  3. multiswitch to the HR22 which will ultimately be changed to the hardwired client

A few other questions:

1. is the ethernet integrated to the setup at the Genie or is there an "ideal location", is DECA needed
  2. can the OTA be fed through the multiswitch or do I need to keep a separate coax drop to connect to the AM21
  3. should I talk to dTv or the installer about the H25 dongles for the component feed for the client
  4. am I correct in assuming the HR44 and C41W are now readily available but models installed are truck dependant
  5. if so, am I correct in assuming that NOW is the time to request the wireless client since I'm doing a 4 DVR upgrade

thanks in advance!

- chris

Attached Thumbnails

• 01ea53e2a5388e40fd07bed0f36aabcc2594ef8452.jpg
  • 0141805bf6eaee801cc04d6c992d138f6685f5c586.jpg
  • 01da7faad4685d4ee57e7e5b993250c57d7f55ed61.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Unless you want to change the location of the switch and or any other receivers, there is nothing new to run.  Since you will be having 7 tuners, one of the 4 lines to the 6x8 will be used.  The tech can then tone out the lines needed for the Genie and other receivers and install a SWM splitter where the 6x8 is

1. You (or the tech) can install a DECA BB at your router or any other location or you can use the Genie as the bridge.  There is no deference in what method is used

2. OTA must be kept separate at all times 

3. The tech should have this cable. Make sure you ask him if you need one

4. Yes

5. Does not matter 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   bishop1424

bishop1424

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

peds48, thanks for the prompt reply.

I am currently NOT using SWiM, so I have 2 runs to each DVR. Am I correct in thinking I may be able to REDUCE the number of drops from the existing 8 to 3 (Genie, HW client & wireless client)? If I do reduce the drops, any needed in the future could simply be added to the multiswitch, correct. All of these is in additon to the OTA drops, of course.

Also, any thoughts on adding the Genie Go to the set up as well?

- chris

#4 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

There are a few ways to get to SWM:

1.  Replace the LNB on your existing Dish with a SWM LNB.

A single coax would run from your dish to a splitter and then a single coax to each DVR.

Max number of tuners = 8  ( A Genie requires 5 tuners)

HR10-250 could not be connected.

2  Run the 4 coax wires from your existing dish into a SWM8 or SWM16 single wire multiswitch.

A single coax would run from the multiswitch to a splitter and then a single coax to each DVR.

Max number of tuners = 8 or 16

HR10-250 could be connected to the legacy ports of the multiswitch.

A power inserter also needs to be included in the SWM setup.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   bishop1424

bishop1424

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

thanks for the reply bpratt!

Am I correct that the existing multiswitch (Zinwell WB68) is NOT SWiM compatible? Would power be needed at the dish/multiswitch for either configuration? If so, I can easily move the multiswitch indoors.

I wouldn't be connecting the HR10 so no consideration there.

- chris

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,390 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

The standard SWiM configuration (putting a SWiM LNB on your existing dish) for up to 8 tuners does NOT include a standalone switch and all legacy gear goes away at that point.

If you're starting with seven tuners, they'll probably convert you to a SWiM LNB. If you go beyond 8 tuners, they'll probably have to convert you back to the legacy LNB and add a SWM-16 outboard switch.

The new model is a tree structure rather than each tuner being connected to one of the outputs of a multiswitch. Adding a box (whether a full receiver/DVR or a GenieMini client) involves grafting it into the tree with a special splitter. The tree can be all branches so you don't have to rearrange everything.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,390 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Am I correct that the existing multiswitch (Zinwell WB68) is NOT SWiM compatible?

It is not SWiM capable.[quote]Would power be needed at the dish/multiswitch for either configuration? If so, I can easily move the multiswitch indoors.
Power is required for all of the SWiM configurations. With seven tuners there probably wouldn't be a standalone multiswitch.

It is notable that the power inserter for the SWiM LNB is 21VDC while the standalone switches use a 29VDC brick.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

The new model is a tree structure rather than each tuner being connected to one of the outputs of a multiswitch. Adding a box (whether a full receiver/DVR or a GenieMini client) involves grafting it into the tree with a special splitter. The tree can be all branches so you don't have to rearrange everything.

While splitting downstream of another splitter is possible with SWM, it is recommended to use the least possible splitters.  A tree structure is not really recommended 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Here are a couple of diagrams from Solid Signal that describe SWM hookups:

http://manuals.solid... Install LR.pdf

http://manuals.solid...-Install-LR.pdf

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a