Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slacker Radio on dish network?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

do you think slacker radio will come to dish network?a friend of mine told me about it when i was at a cruise night last night.please check them out.

http://www.slacker.com/

Thanks

Allen bluegras

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I rather doubt it.

Edited by Jim148, 12 July 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   BeckiB@Dish Network

BeckiB@Dish Network

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

do you think slacker radio will come to dish network?a friend of mine told me about it when i was at a cruise night last night.please check them out.

Thanks

Allen bluegras

I am happy to forward a request for this station on your behalf!

Becki Barned
Social Media Representative
Wednesday -Saturday

12  - 11 MST

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thanks

Allen bluegras

Its not happening!!!!

• KyL416 likes this

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

I rather doubt DISH will run anything that requires Flash. I think people are starting to confuse DISH's STB's with Smart devices and TV's just because they have just a couple of what they call and looks like apps.

#6 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

can someone from DIRT please contact me i have someone from slacker would like to talk to someone from dish about maybe getting slacker added onto the dish network hopper?any help would be appreciated you can PM if you would like to.

Thanks

Allen Culver

Illinois 

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

I rather doubt DISH will run anything that requires Flash. I think people are starting to confuse DISH's STB's with Smart devices and TV's just because they have just a couple of what they call and looks like apps.

Does Pandora require Flash? 

Since we have Pandora, I don't see a need for any other streaming music service. 

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Does Pandora require Flash? 

Since we have Pandora, I don't see a need for any other streaming music service. 

It does. I have it on my AVR and laptop, but can't use it on my main computer due security reasons with Flash. So I take it back. They might be able to support it. But I still doubt they will sighting that they already have a ton of music available and there could be contract conflicts. Who knows . . .

#9 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

a friend of mine told me about this website and they have alot more music than pandora has spotify would work perfect for me on dish network also.

Allen 

#10 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

Although I was surprised and delighted to see Pandora available, I don't see DISH as a music purveyor anymore than they already are. I trust that they would leave it up to your AVR's and other peripherals that survive off of apps. But we'll see. I wouldn't mind it.

Licensing, costs, negotiations and all that . . . I wouldn't count on it.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

In the days before Sirius and XM merged Dish was first to offer Sirius (after having MUZAK which they kept).  Then Direct offered XM and dropped Music Choice IIRC.  We are better off with Sirius/XM + MUZAK + Pandora than Direct with only Sirius/XM.

There is a big difference between the satellite delivered music channels and the streaming music services. With streaming you get a customized program delivered via broadband (i.e. not available if you don't also have broadband) while MUZAK and SXM are fixed channels with no customization.  Those are technically easier to carry than the streaming services. 

Keep in mind that any music service incurs costs that get paid to music rights organizations to be distributed to the composers and artists.  On your computer some of these services are ad supported.  On satellite there are no ads so it must cost more to carry these services.  I'm not sure about Pandora, it appears I hear ads when listening on a PC more often than on Dish, yet i get the same customized "channels" that I created.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

In the days before Sirius and XM merged Dish was first to offer Sirius (after having MUZAK which they kept).  Then Direct offered XM and dropped Music Choice IIRC.  We are better off with Sirius/XM + MUZAK + Pandora than Direct with only Sirius/XM.

There is a big difference between the satellite delivered music channels and the streaming music services. With streaming you get a customized program delivered via broadband (i.e. not available if you don't also have broadband) while MUZAK and SXM are fixed channels with no customization.  Those are technically easier to carry than the streaming services. 

Keep in mind that any music service incurs costs that get paid to music rights organizations to be distributed to the composers and artists.  On your computer some of these services are ad supported.  On satellite there are no ads so it must cost more to carry these services.  I'm not sure about Pandora, it appears I hear ads when listening on a PC more often than on Dish, yet i get the same customized "channels" that I created on both platforms.

#13 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

slacker and spotify would be perfect on dish network because i know alot of bluegrass artists prefer these two over pandora i enven asked them why because of paying payments to songwriters i would like to see these come as apps.

Thanks

Allen 

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

slacker and spotify would be perfect on dish network because i know alot of bluegrass artists prefer these two over pandora i enven asked them why because of paying payments to songwriters i would like to see these come as apps.

Thanks

Allen 

Can't you just create a Bluegrass channel on Pandora?  Pandora does pay royalties.  I don't think the other two would pay the artists any more than Pandora.

#15 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

i have been talking to slacker and what they need for is to a demand from you folks to come to dish network.this is what i need for you to do contact dish network and let them know to add the slacker app.any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen bluegras

Illinois 

#16 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

I believe there is a Slacker app on the Roku. Roku has a lot of streaming music channels.

Patrick

#17 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

hi patrick i noticed that also i would like to see slacker along with tunein radio and also spotify come to dish network they all have different music.

Thanks

Allen 

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yes ... you have made your point. Please do not turn this into a petition or cause as that would violate our site rules.

(If you have any questions PM a moderator, any moderator.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...