Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Those With The DISH Network MT2 Over The Air Module

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

For those of you using the DISH Network MT2 Over the Air Module and have locals on your plan, do you watch local channels via the satellite or through the over the air module?  When I first got my 722k and added the over the air module, I used it to save the $5 per month that DISH charges.  Now, I h ave the over the air channels bundled.  Anyway, I think the picture via the over the air module is better than the locals through the DISH satellite.  I do still like having the MT2, particularly during storms, so that I can watch TV if I lose satellite signal.  I do use both a Slingbox PRO and a Sling Adapter and I can't select over the air channels through the module with either of those.  Anyway, I would like to hear from others on how they ise their MT2.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

I use both here. Dish locals and OTA locals, as I get the sub channels that Dish does not carry.

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

For those of you using the DISH Network MT2 Over the Air Module and have locals on your plan, do you watch local channels via the satellite or through the over the air module?  When I first got my 722k and added the over the air module, I used it to save the $5 per month that DISH charges.  Now, I h ave the over the air channels bundled.  Anyway, I think the picture via the over the air module is better than the locals through the DISH satellite.  I do still like having the MT2, particularly during storms, so that I can watch TV if I lose satellite signal.  I do use both a Slingbox PRO and a Sling Adapter and I can't select over the air channels through the module with either of those.  Anyway, I would like to hear from others on how they ise their MT2.

I think this answer is the same for most people that use OTA. I don't have a MT-2 my DISH receiver has a built in OTA tuner but it still allows access to subchanels and adds 1 additional tuner for recording.

#4 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

I have a 922 with the OTA mod installed and use it exclusively to watch my locals, or I watch my locals off my OTA without using the DISH receiver. But, if I need to record a local I will use that OTA mod and NOT the sat channel. This way I have two sat channels available to me for recording and two OTA channels the same. I seldom watch any network programing, less than 4 hours per week, so locals do not play into my view habits very much. But, I mainly use my locals for news and weather.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

I use both - definately OTA for the subchannels, sometimes OTA for the majors carried by Dish (mostly when there is a local weather issue preventing satellite reception).

• Rduce likes this
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

Soooo...regarding the program guide for the local sub-channels, is everyone getting that now or is it still spotty?  Come Wednesday I'm getting a Hopper with the OTA built in (or so I'm told, I didn't even know that existed), and no one to this day can tell me if  program guide for sub-channels is available in my market (Austin TX).

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Soooo...regarding the program guide for the local sub-channels, is everyone getting that now or is it still spotty?  Come Wednesday I'm getting a Hopper with the OTA built in (or so I'm told, I didn't even know that existed), and no one to this day can tell me if  program guide for sub-channels is available in my market (Austin TX).

There is no Hopper with OTA built-in.  There is a Hopper with Sling built-in...  but both existing Hopper models require the OTA USB module from Dish.  Maybe they bring one with them for your install, so it could be "included" with your scheduled service, but it definitely isn't "built-in."

Someone specific to your DMA will have to chime in about sub-channel OTA EPG.  In my DMA there are still sub-channels with missing info.  There are also some glitches with mis-mapped data (data exists but is not correctly mapped to the right OTA sub-channel) so that is a problem for some as well.

You should find most of your major stations with OTA EPG though... it's the sub-channels where you find the problems typically.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 ONLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

I had a Hopper installed two months ago and they did not bring an the OTA USB adapter. I purchased one on amazon.com.

#9 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yea, that's what I thought.  Sounds like I'll be back on the phone with them tomorrow.  Thanks so much for the update.  Is anyone from the Austin Texas market out there?

LATER:  Effing chaos on a phone call with DISH this evening.  They told me the account had to be active before they would provide/sell the OTA adapter, that the tech would not have one on his truck and they could not ask him to bring one out.  This is completely unacceptable BS from Dish.  If I can't get it done through a local dealer tomorrow (who has some idea of what he is selling, unlike Dish phone support), I'll just say to H**l with it.

Edited by mnassour, 14 July 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Some local sub channels do not record though.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Ummm.....what?  Any idea why that would be, and could you please tell me what market you're in?

#12 OFFLINE   Justgrooven

Justgrooven

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

To the post, I use both for all the reasons stated. I record the dish feed because files use much less space on the drives. Next, I replaced my 622 with the hopper so the rooftop jack was right there. After the hopper was activated the USB OTA adapter was listed in the equipment view of the online store. It took less than a week to arrive and two minutes to install.

#13 OFFLINE   KAB

KAB

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIndy

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Ummm.....what?  Any idea why that would be, and could you please tell me what market you're in?

Has nothing to do with market.  A software upgrade blunder for Hoppers rendered all subs (below 01) non recordable from guide.  Only manual timers will work.

Edited by KAB, 18 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well, several months ago it was reported that OTA tuner owners in some markets were getting program guide info from the subchannels, while those in other markets weren't.

Now...as a Dish newb, I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by all subs (below 01).  It's probably simple, but I don't get the reference.

#15 ONLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

I have noticed that I can't see channels on the app that come up as "Digital Service" on my TV.  However, if I enter the channel numbers manually, I can watch them.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#16 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Well, several months ago it was reported that OTA tuner owners in some markets were getting program guide info from the subchannels, while those in other markets weren't.

Now...as a Dish newb, I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by all subs (below 01).  It's probably simple, but I don't get the reference.

By subs below 01 he means ota subchannels such as 2.3,3.3.. Not the main channel 2.1. 3.1 etc.

#17 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yes, The OTA local channels here. Portland OR translators

6.1      KOIN  CBS Guide

8.1      KGW  NBC Guide

8.2      KGW Live Well Guide

8.3      KGW  Estrella No info

10.1    KOPB PBS Guide

10.2    KOPB OPB+ Guide

10.3    KOPB NPR  Guide

12.1    KPTV FOX  No info

49.1    KPDX MYTV  No guide

Both 12.1 and 49.1 do not have guides on any OTA tuners, so the info may not be avaliable.

#18 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Has nothing to do with market. A software upgrade blunder for Hoppers rendered all subs (below 01) non recordable from guide. Only manual timers will work.

Should have never had a software update when things are working fine. Like why fix something that is not broke.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

After all the discussion about the guide, I thought I'd better report back on what my OTA module receives on my Hopper as far as guide data was concerned here in Austin, TX.

KTBC 7.1 / Fox - all program data

KTBC 7.2 / Movies! - no guide data

KLRU 18.1 / PBS - all program data

KLRU 18.2 / PBS Create - all program data

KLRU 18.3 / PBS Q - all program data

KLRU 18.4 / PBS VMe - all program data

KVUE 24.1 / ABC - all program data

KVUE 24.2 / TV Estrella - all program data

KVUE 24.3 / radar - no program data

KXAN 36.1 / NBC - all program data

KEYE 42.1 / CBS - all program data

KEYE 42.2 / Telemundo - all program data

KNVA / 54.1 / CW - all program data

So the only holdout is Fox with its Movies! Channel.  The all-important PBS data is there, and I'm one happy camper.

thanks to all!

#20 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

On my 222 in Raleigh DUrham - there is only guide data on the .1 channels (except for WUNC  4 (PBS).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...