Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV's 'NFL Sunday Ticket Available on Macs/iOS Devices

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Very intriguing...No satellite subscription needed!...

http://www.macrumors...ket-standalone/

Edited by tunce, 16 July 2014 - 01:48 PM.

Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I hope this is true! I can finally ditch DirecTV.

I'm currently subscribing to two services because DirecTV lacks something I want, while conversely I still want Sunday Ticket.

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,230 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

NFL ST "has long been accessible on iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices".

I'm pretty sure NFL ST was available without a DIRECTV subscription for the 2012 season so the article is likely a couple years late.

http://www.sportsgee...ithout-directv/

It is important to note that you must be UNABLE to get DIRECTV in order to qualify for the online-only service.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,230 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I hope this is true! I can finally ditch DirecTV.

Unless the terms change, DIRECTV won't qualify you for the online service because you are not "underserved".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

are you sure its for those who are "underserved"   I haven't read anything saying that yet, just started reading though.

#6 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I think your wrong Harsh, here is the Appleinsider link that shows the tiers and it states NO Satellite sub required.

http://appleinsider....cription-needed

Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#7 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,230 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Read the third and fourth paragraphs of this March 2009 New York Times article regarding the latest contract between the NFL and DIRECTV:

http://www.nytimes.c...domir.html?_r=1

#8 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,230 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

I think your wrong Harsh, here is the Appleinsider link that shows the tiers and it states NO Satellite sub required.

Since the AppleInsider link made other serious errors (like missing the first two seasons the service was available), I wouldn't hang my hat on anything what the article says; it is classed as a rumor after all.

Again, no subscription is required, but you must NOT be able to subscribe to DIRECTV to qualify for the online-only service. In either case, you have to go through DIRECTV and if you can receive their conventional satellite TV service, they'll more than likely sign you up for a two year hitch with it.

#9 OFFLINE   ToddD

ToddD

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Since the AppleInsider link made other serious errors (like missing the first two seasons the service was available), I wouldn't hang my hat on anything what the article says; it is classed as a rumor after all.

Again, no subscription is required, but you must NOT be able to subscribe to DIRECTV to qualify for the online-only service. In either case, you have to go through DIRECTV and if you can receive their conventional satellite TV service, they'll more than likely sign you up for a two year hitch with it.

This is fully correct. Appleinsider and Macrumors posted before understanding the full facts. This is almost the same program that has existed for the past 2 seasons. Simply put if you can get DTV it's not for you.

#10 OFFLINE   jmagoo

jmagoo

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

this is big news

http://nflst.directv...nflws/index.jsp

Edited by jmagoo, 16 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

"... if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco."

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN- ANN ARBOR
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
UNIVERSITY COLORADO AT BOULDER
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
HARVARD UNIVERSITY
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

"... if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco."

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN- ANN ARBOR
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
UNIVERSITY COLORADO AT BOULDER
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
HARVARD UNIVERSITY

There is going to be a lot of disappointed folks when they find out the are not eligible for this service, judging by the comments when this was announced 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

Here is the disclaimer they added to that article:

Update 1:45 PM PT: As noted by Engadget, an FAQ on the DirecTV site indicates that the NFL Sunday Ticket subscription free plan may be limited to customers in "select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities." Users must enter their address information on the DirecTV site to find out if they are eligible.

#14 ONLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Why only those three specific metro areas? Messing with comcast? I'm certain that's not it but it would be great if D* started playing hardball in this way..

#15 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,230 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

There is going to be a lot of disappointed folks when they find out the are not eligible for this service, judging by the comments when this was announced

They'll only be disappointed if they didn't go to the source. The blogosphere isn't doing us any favors when they "enhance" with incorrect information.

#16 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

"... if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco."UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTONUNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTINUNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIAUNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN- ANN ARBORUNIVERSITY OF FLORIDAUNIVERSITY COLORADO AT BOULDERUNIVERSITY OF ALABAMASYRACUSE UNIVERSITYOHIO STATE UNIVERSITYHARVARD UNIVERSITY

I'm curious as to why they limited the availability to a seemingly random allotment of geography and universities?

Or maybe it isn't so random:

New York City: probably doesn't have a high penetration of satellite customers for obvious reasons (multi-tenant buildings/high rises). The city that houses NFL's HQ.
Philadelphia: The home of Comcast and probably has a low count of DirecTV as well (at least "sport's customers") due to the Philly channel and other reasons?
San Francisco: no idea really.

The random sampling of universities are another strange element. The only thing I can think of in regards to the listed Pac-12 schools and Texas (which combined make up 40% of the list) is that maybe they indeed saw some defections of sport-centric customers due to the Pac-12 and Longhorn network respectively, customers that might otherwise subscribe to Sunday Ticket had they remained?

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

The real outlier is Harvard. Anyone guess as to why it's included?? A strange pick.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

That will put D in the red.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Some good details here. I think they mean any address in those 3 metro areas qualifies. Anywhere else, any multi-family address qualifies. I tested the reporter's theory by entering the address of the apartment complex next to my office here in TX and the D* site says I qualify despite the fact there are several directv dishes on the south facing balconies. Therefore, they must only be looking if the address is multifamily, and not matching up to see if they have actual dish subscribers located there.

http://www.forbes.co...satellite-dish/

#20 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Some good details here. I think they mean any address in those 3 metro areas qualifies. Anywhere else, any multi-family address qualifies. I tested the reporter's theory by entering the address of the apartment complex next to my office here in TX and the D* site says I qualify despite the fact there are several directv dishes on the south facing balconies. Therefore, they must only be looking if the address is multifamily, and not matching up to see if they have actual dish subscribers located there.

http://www.forbes.co...satellite-dish/

Well that not what the directv ad says so somebody is way off.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...