Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Soon to be new DirecTV customer, some questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cruzinforitr

cruzinforitr

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hi guys. We are purchasing a house North Carolina, after living in Upstate NY for years. We've always had cable before, and I worked for Time Warner Cable as recently as January. In the process of making this move, for several different reasons we decided to give DirecTV a shot this time around. We will still have Time Warner for internet (the 50/5 service) and this actually brings me to my first question.

This is a new construction house, and already has the coax and some cat5e run in the house. From what I know, you cannot have DirecTV and Cable HSD on the same coax line.  I don't want the DirecTV installer to have to run all new lines in our brand new house seperate from the ones that are already there. The TWC guy is coming first to install the internet.  Does anyone have experience with this? I want the Time Warner guy to be able to use the line coming in from outside to go to the homerun area, where the modem will be (to connect to the router, and gigabit switch) to connect to the rest of the ethernet lines in the house. And have direcTV guy install a seperate line, going to the same place, which will connect to the rest of the coax lines in the house. I'd imagine this shouldn't be a huge deal, but it makes me slightly nervous.  Wanted to know other peoples experiences.

Second, we will be getting the Genie with 2minis. Are they only giving out the HR44s now, or do they still give HR34s (and associated, older mini clients) to new customers as well?  If they are like TWC they will give you the oldest boxes they have (Scientific Atlanta 8300HDCs that are 8 years old, anyone). I really want the new HR44s, as I want the best possible experience, especially since this was my "baby", it was my idea to switch to satellite for at least one contract period to give it a try, and I'll never hear the end of it if it doesn't work out properly.   

That leads into my next question, I read that apparently you aren't supposed to connect the Genie with ethernet? I plan on using hardwired ethernet for as much of our stuff as possible. Rokus, XBOX360, PS3, desktop computers, etc).  I definitely don't want to be using the wifi for our ondemand usage, and other stuff.  Unless it supports 5Ghz wifi, but even then, I'd prefer to use cat5e when possible. Is it still possible to use the genie itself as, I guess it's called a cinema connection kit? Or something. I want the genie to provide the internet access (via ethernet) to the other mini clients. I will be using those hardwired coax, not via the available wireless. I'm not a fan of wireless, hardwired is always faster and more reliable. I want to make sure this is in fact, possible. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something about how this works. If I am, please correct me.

This is all I can think of, for now. I appreciate any answers and clarification people can give me, in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

You're going need two coax coming into your house. One for cable Internet and one for DirecTV.

Your plan is right. Just make sure the install techs for both companies follow your instructions.

Yes, you should be getting the HR44. Will it be new, most likely, but not guarantee.

Yes, the Genie should be directly connected to your house LAN.

The Minis are dumb terminals, they cannot be connected to your LAN, they have no tuners, they have no hard drive. Think of Minis as being a big remote control for the Genie.

Edited by Drucifer, 17 July 2014 - 12:17 AM.

• jimmie57 likes this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

.... I want the genie to provide the internet access (via ethernet) to the other mini clients. I will be using those hardwired coax, not via the available wireless. I'm not a fan of wireless, hardwired is always faster and more reliable. I want to make sure this is in fact, possible. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something about how this works. If I am, please correct me.

The good news is DECA: only one run of CAT5 to your Genie, and the clients get their internet via coax, which also carries the TV signal from the Genie. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

The installer may insist that you connect the Genie to the Internet via Wifi.  Many installers honestly believe that Genies don't work connected directly to ethernet,   If you get one of these guys, don't worry about it.  Let him connect via Wifi and then, after he leaves, connect a Cat5 cable and rerun network setup from the menu.

If you don't want an HR34, and are willing to wait if necessary, when the installer calls you to tell you that he's on his way, ask him if he has an HR44 in the truck.  If he doesn't, tell him that you want to reschedule the installation.  It stinks.  But, unless you want to pay a retailer for an HR44, that's the only way to guarantee that you get one.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,634 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

And welcome to DBSTalk!!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...