Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network "Attention message with a code 507"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pulsarxp

pulsarxp

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

I purchased a thought to be new VIP222K receiver.  It was sealed but no Smart Card in the sealed plastic.  A friend of mine gave me a new virgin Smart Card.  When I fire up the receiver with this new Smart Card, I get this "Attention" message where it tells me I can't do anything at this time.  It also shows a 507 code.

Can this be remedied or am I forever locked out of using this receiver?  Any info would be appreciated. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pulsarxp

pulsarxp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

One more thing.  The receiver is frozen on this Attention Message 507.  No buttons will make anything happen.  It is froze.  If I pull out the smart card I then get a screen giving the receivers serial number and the Smart Card number I have for it plus Dish's telephone number and other data.  When I plug the Smart Card back in the receiver I again get the ATTENTION 507 message stating I can't do anything at this time. 

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Some receivers have the smart cards built-in...  but if a card is required, cards are "married" to the receivers.  You can't put a different smart card in one.  I don't know how a friend would have a card to give you in any way that wouldn't be a violation of the terms of service of Dish Network.

It is starting to sound like you are trying to do something you shouldn't be doing.  Have you called Dish to activate the receivers you bought?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   pulsarxp

pulsarxp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

No I have not called them but I will tomorrow.  I do want to have them activate the receiver.  The receiver is new and so is the smart card but they were not married together when they left the factory.  I got the receiver and noticed the card was missing yet it was sealed in plastic.  The card came from a friend of mine who used to be an installer and the card is new.  I'm not trying to pull anything on Dish.  I just want to activate the receiver so they can bill me every month. 

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

No I have not called them but I will tomorrow.  I do want to have them activate the receiver.  The receiver is new and so is the smart card but they were not married together when they left the factory.  I got the receiver and noticed the card was missing yet it was sealed in plastic.  The card came from a friend of mine who used to be an installer and the card is new.  I'm not trying to pull anything on Dish.  I just want to activate the receiver so they can bill me every month. 

As Stewart mentioned often new receivers have the smart card built into the box and you won't see one in the slot.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

When you display the System Info One screen, you should see the receiver and smart numbers listed for the receiver.  I suggest removing the external smart card.  Thanks.

I purchased a thought to be new VIP222K receiver.  It was sealed but no Smart Card in the sealed plastic.  A friend of mine gave me a new virgin Smart Card.  When I fire up the receiver with this new Smart Card, I get this "Attention" message where it tells me I can't do anything at this time.  It also shows a 507 code.

Can this be remedied or am I forever locked out of using this receiver?  Any info would be appreciated. 

#7 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

When the smart card is built into the circuitry of the receiver a smart card slot is still provided for future upgrades if necessary.

#8 OFFLINE   pulsarxp

pulsarxp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have two other VIP222K new receivers and they have removable smart cards in them.  So I can't imagine this VIP222K having one built into it.  Even if I have a built in card the receiver buttons on the receiver won't do anything.  When I remove the smart card I had  put into this receiver,  I get a screen showing the receiver number as well as the smart card I just removed.   I'd really like to know what this ATTENTION message with a number of 507 actually means.  (I suspect the smart card/receiver mismatch is the cause for this message to appear.)

I suspect the receiver disabled itself because it now has a Smart Card in it that did not come with this receiver.  I'll be calling Dish today to see what is the problem and what can be done.  Right now all I know is the receiver is new, the Smart Card is virgin new, but they did not come together.  I don't know if this will cause Dish to not want to activate it.  Time will tell.  If they won't activate it,  I'll have to buy another receiver.  The other two units I own came from a reputable dealer and they contain smart cards.  All this stuff needs to be activated.  I'm a Dish customer now and am planning to activate a new HD system and once that is accomplished then deactivate my old SD system.  (I'm putting up a new 1000.2 Western dish antenna and will deactivate my 500 dish antenna.)

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Did you ever try the receiver before you put the other smart card in it?  You could be right that inserting that smart card caused a new problem.  Did you have a problem before inserting that card or did you not try that in the first place?

Either way, you are going to need to talk to Dish to get any concrete answers since nothing will matter if they can't activate the receiver for you.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   pulsarxp

pulsarxp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well I talked to a gal at Dish today about my lockup and 507 message.  I explained to her the receiver is new and the Smart Card are new but they didn't leave the factory together.  She said, NO PROBLEM.  I was told to get the dish antenna up and running with one of my other two receivers and then install the locked up one and call DISH.  She said they would then be able to help me unlock the receiver.  I repeatedly asked her what was with the 507 code message and she kept telling me to get it hooked up and Dish would be able to help me unlock it.  Now I don't know if she knows what she is talking about but she was in the service department.  I'm going to try and get the dish mounted tomorrow and point it and use one of my other receivers.  Then I'll put this locked up one on line and call Dish to see if they can fix it by talking to it.  More to follow.  (This is an entirely new system and set up.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...