Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ethernet over Coax

Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have Directv whole house coverage now and this has left several open coax connections. I would like to run at least 100 MB ethernet over coax on the unused connections. This will be on coax that will no longer be connected to the Directv coax signals. I do not want to have powered adapters for the ethernet to coax conversion. The coax runs are no more than 50 feet. Any ideas for adapters? Will the adapters from Directv work? Any ideas that are cost effective? I saw some Dualcomm devices that looked like they would work for about $90.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

If you're using standard MOCA, I don't believe that the DirecTV adapters will work.  I'm pretty sure that DirecTV was already using the frequencies required by MOCA, which is why they need to develop their own methodology (DECA).

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

I have Directv whole house coverage now and this has left several open coax connections. I would like to run at least 100 MB ethernet over coax on the unused connections. This will be on coax that will no longer be connected to the Directv coax signals. I do not want to have powered adapters for the ethernet to coax conversion. The coax runs are no more than 50 feet. Any ideas for adapters? Will the adapters from Directv work? Any ideas that are cost effective? I saw some Dualcomm devices that looked like they would work for about $90.

99.99% of the adapters that you seek would require some form of power to them.  You can use the DirecTV® DECA adapters but they of course, need their own power supplies 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

If you're using standard MOCA, I don't believe that the DirecTV adapters will work.  I'm pretty sure that DirecTV was already using the frequencies required by MOCA, which is why they need to develop their own methodology (DECA).

DECA is MoCA. MoCA supports a number of bands. Cable uses D band, since it is above the range cable TV uses. Directv uses E band, Dish uses F band (too bad Directv wasn't smart enough to use it, F band could share the coax with OTA)

bobneedshelp: The only thing you have to do is use the same hardware on all your unused connections, since while DECA is MoCA, it uses different frequencies and can't interoperate with devices branded as "MoCA".

Even with buying the power supplies, buying Directv DECAs for $3.99/ea off EBay is probably the cheapest solution. It doesn't matter whether you get the white ones or the black ones, they're interchangeable.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Thank you for your replies.

So if I am reading this correctly, I could purchase  DECA 2 BROADBAND DCA2PR0-18 and connect this as follows:

First device has 3 connections: 1-power supply, 2-network router, 3-coax.

Second device would be: 1-power supply, 2-network device, 3-other end of coax.

Is this correct?  Do both ends need power?

Wouldn't this Dualcomm device do the same thing without power?  It would cost maybe $70 instead of $40 however.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for your replies.

So if I am reading this correctly, I could purchase  DECA 2 BROADBAND DCA2PR0-18 and connect this as follows:

First device has 3 connections: 1-power supply, 2-network router, 3-coax.

Second device would be: 1-power supply, 2-network device, 3-other end of coax.

Is this correct?  Do both ends need power?

Wouldn't this Dualcomm device do the same thing without power?  It would cost maybe $70 instead of $40 however.

Your assessment is correct. Both ends would need power supplies.

I have not used the device on the link, so I wont comment on it.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I don't have DirecTV, but I have a house full of DECAs with power supplies for about $10 per node, nowhere near $40 for a pair. Works great. Deals are plentiful on eBay.

#8 OFFLINE   bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

I don't have DirecTV, but I have a house full of DECAs with power supplies for about $10 per node, nowhere near $40 for a pair. Works great. Deals are plentiful on eBay.

What kind of throughput are you getting? Do you get 100 MB with your DECA connection?

#9 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

What kind of throughput are you getting? Do you get 100 MB with your DECA connection?

I checked when I first installed it many months ago, and that's about what I got. I use it to stream 1080p video to 4 other TVs and to network a couple of computers. I've never had any throughput issues. I use it on my second floor where it would be difficult to run cat5/6.

There are faster options, but DECA is the best bang for the buck and very reliable. Here's a little write up I did a while back. Links are probably out of date.

http://www.avsforum....-extenders.html

The ones you linked are exactly what I use, although I shopped around until I found them for a lot less, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/...ER/161199692131

I think I have about 6 or 7 of them now. In my house, since I don't have DirecTV, I just had to make sure to keep my DECA network physically isolated from my CATV network.

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,495 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

At 3 watts per adapter, DECA adapters aren't as evil as the things you're plugging into the Ethernet.  And at $6 each / shipped on eBay, it takes a few years to burn up something equivalent to a $70-90 purchase.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#11 OFFLINE   bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Is there anything I should know about the various adapter part numbers like:
DCA2PRO-18
DCA2PRO-01
DCA2SRO-18

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

In my experience, all are functionally identical. I think the 18 is just a newer model. The SRO model does NOT include a power supply (that's why they're cheaper). You need a power supply at each node which is not connected to a DirecTV box. From what I've seen, buying power supplies separately is quite a bit more expensive than just buying PRO's to begin with.

#13 OFFLINE   bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I purchased 2 of the DECA 2 BROADBAND DCA2PR0-18 for about $10 each.  Set it up on the line and could get at least 100Mb throughput (basically as fast as my internet connection).  Thanks for all of the help! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ethernet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...