Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish network part-time channels for RSN ?

Dish RSN part-time hd

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eric032706

eric032706

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I had Dish network two years ago, and the regional sports networks would broadcast in SD.  They would turn on the HD feed when a baseball or hockey game would come on.  Do they still do this, or are the RSN full-time HD now ?  Thinking about switching back, but not if they are still PT.  Thanks for any response.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BeckiB@Dish Network

BeckiB@Dish Network

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

We would love to have you back in the DISH family! We offer many sports stations in HD. Not all games are offered in HD, but we offer as many games in HD as we can. Please send me a message if you have any questions on services!

Becki Barned
Social Media Representative
Wednesday -Saturday

12  - 11 MST

#3 ONLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Same as it was is the answer.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

I believe DISH is doing better in carrying games. They have more channels set aside for those part time feeds than they had two or more years ago. But DISH still has not made the jump to full time HD RSNs and not every game is available in HD.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

So when have u seen a SD tv sold in a retail store most SD TV's r in landfills, I suffered watching Driven special on sports south about Maddox Glavine and Bobby Cox I guess the Sec network will be part time HD also. No full time HD on RSN is a joke or other sports network

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

So when have u seen a SD tv sold in a retail store most SD TV's r in landfills,

Considering SD TVs have been sold for many decades I'd have to agree that most SDs ever sold are "out of service". But there are still tons of SD TVs in use.

HD penetration (one per home or more) is 59% ... which means 41% of US homes do not have their first HD set. 72% of TVs in homes that have at least one HD set are HD ... which means that 28% of TVs in HD homes are SD. There are a lot of SD TVs still in service.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Considering SD TVs have been sold for many decades I'd have to agree that most SDs ever sold are "out of service". But there are still tons of SD TVs in use.

HD penetration (one per home or more) is 59% ... which means 41% of US homes do not have their first HD set. 72% of TVs in homes that have at least one HD set are HD ... which means that 28% of TVs in HD homes are SD. There are a lot of SD TVs still in service.

Of the 28% SD TV's still out there How many r connected to a Outdoor TV Antenna with a converter box Im sure that Stat will knock the 28% even Lower maybe to 14%............It still comes down to Providers giving HD Content to customers who have HD TV's  ...

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'm not sure what the point here is.

Dish has part-time HD RSN feeds for game-only content.  This is because they do not have the bandwidth to provide all of those RSNs in HD full-time without taking down other channels.

I like sports, particularly football and basketball...  but I rarely watch the RSNs beyond the actual games... so for my "money" as long as Dish has the space to provide the HD feeds of the games... I'm not really bothered if the RSN itself isn't full-time HD for all the talking-head content that I never watch there.

• Slamminc11 likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

The plus thing , No RSN fees.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#10 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

The plus thing , No RSN fees.

And that fee could jump more in SEC territory

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#11 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I'm not sure what the point here is.

Dish has part-time HD RSN feeds for game-only content.  This is because they do not have the bandwidth to provide all of those RSNs in HD full-time without taking down other channels.

I like sports, particularly football and basketball...  but I rarely watch the RSNs beyond the actual games... so for my "money" as long as Dish has the space to provide the HD feeds of the games... I'm not really bothered if the RSN itself isn't full-time HD for all the talking-head content that I never watch there.

....of *all* the games.  Many MLB games were not in HD during April and May.  That should be unacceptable in 2014.

Edited by Jaspear, 21 July 2014 - 12:34 PM.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#12 ONLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

You can get countless hours worth of marathons of the Law & Order franchise on God only knows how many cable channels in full blown HD, but it's mind blowing that HD for CSN Chicago & FS Midwest is only turned on during live games.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

....of *all* the games.  Many MLB games were not in HD during April and May.  That should be unacceptable in 2014.

If they are games on RSNs (like Yes) that Dish doesn't carry... then that explains some of them.  If you're talking about an HD version of a game that Dish does carry the channel... then I'm with you on that complaint.  I don't watch baseball, so I don't notice when those are missed like I would a football or basketball game.

You can get countless hours worth of marathons of the Law & Order franchise on God only knows how many cable channels in full blown HD, but it's mind blowing that HD for CSN Chicago & FS Midwest is only turned on during live games.

Some channels ask for more money than others... some channels are wanted by more customers than others too.  So, Dish has to try and cut through that and pick which ones to add when they have bandwidth crunch.

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

You can thank the overlapping of the Basketball and Baseball seasons for the lack of HD.  Don't let "them" tell you not all games are in HD, they are, just not all on E*.  It's all about the bandwidth.

Once the HD penetration increases (or E* bites the bullet and replaces every last SD receiver with an HD - I had an HD receiver 9 years before my first HDTV) then the bandwidth currently used for SD versions can be repurposed for more HD bandwidth.

Edited by Michael P, 25 July 2014 - 01:05 PM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#15 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

You can thank the overlapping of the Basketball and Baseball seasons for the lack of HD.  Don't let "them" tell you not all games are in HD, they are, just not all on E*.  It's all about the bandwidth.

Once the HD penetration increases (or E* bites the bullet and replaces every last SD receiver with an HD - I had an HD receiver 9 years before my first HDTV) then the bandwidth currently used for SD versions can be repurposed for more HD bandwidth.

Or, they could take it out of a couple of those Dish cinema channels airing B movies that are at the end of the PPV window.  And yeah, I know all the games are in HD.  That's my complaint.

Edited by Jaspear, 26 July 2014 - 12:26 PM.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#16 OFFLINE   zippyfrog

zippyfrog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Or, they could take it out of a couple of those Dish cinema channels airing B movies that are at the end of the PPV window.  And yeah, I know all the games are in HD.  That's my complaint.

I would love that!  Beginning of baseball season coupled with the end of NBA and NHL season does make it busy for the RSN's and live games.  On CSN Chicago, which is my RSN, we have a lot of paid programming and other random shows, but I have seen our local highlight show - Sportsnet Central - have some stats cut off on the side since CSN Chicago is not letterboxed.  It also is frustrating to know that a lot of times the bandwidth is just sitting there not being used...would love to be able to see the game replay in HD as well!

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

PAC-12 apparently went 24/7 without fanfare. I believe DISH has 24 feeds that they use for various games ... which means an absolute maximum of 24 HD games at a time. DISH has 21 HD PPV channels. Apparently they are making more money off of using the channels for PPV than carrying additional games beyond the 24 feeds.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

That's interesting... about PAC-12...  When did it go full-time HD?  I tune out from the RSNs once football (college) and basketball (college) seasons end... and don't come back until the fall when football starts up again, so I had not noticed until you just now mentioned it.

On a related note... I'm still surprised we haven't seen a Longhorn HD feed, even if it was a game-only feed.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

That's interesting... about PAC-12...  When did it go full-time HD?

Apparently July 23rd (Wednesday afternoon). Both HD feeds (east and west) moved from transponders shared with other part time RSNs to a transponder without other part time RSNs. It may have been 24/7 before that, but that is the best date that I can find where it was 24/7. (The channel is still flagged as a "part-time" HD channel, which means it appears in the guide next to the SD version instead of replacing the HD version on mapdowns. BIG10 is also flagged "part-time" HD.) DISH still has not fixed the strange mapping of HD channel 5458 to 406-06 instead of 406-04.

I was surprised that PAC12 wasn't 24/7 from day one (since BIG10 is 24/7 and PAC12 was reportedly looking to match BIG10).

Longhorn is another head scratcher ... no part time feed and no map to 412-xx on the Hopper. It is the only RSN on DISH that is not mapped to a Hopper subchannel (BIG10 is mapped to 405-xx, PAC12 is mapped to 406-xx, the rest are mapped to 412-xx). Perhaps more changes will come when SEC is added (channels 404-xx, 408 and 5408?). Reelz HD needs to move from 5407 for Longhorn HD to be placed there, but that is not an impossible move (and if it is an issue the HD feed could be placed on another channel number).

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I had considered that... Not to denigrate other sports, but I suspect the big draw for Longhorn is football... so if they added an HD feed to that when the SEC network goes live this fall, then that probably would make everyone happy.  They could do some channel order shuffling between then and now to get there.

On a soon-to-come note...  seems like the word around here in ACC country is that they are waiting to see how to roll-out is for the SEC network before they decide on how to proceed with their own thing. I am torn since I don't like these networks sprouting up all over... but I can't blame them for wanting to do it... and it everyone else is doing it, then I want to get an ACC network here in ACC-country.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dish, RSN, part-time hd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...