Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish network part-time channels for RSN ?

Dish RSN part-time hd

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Longhorn's "part time" HD channel was added to the uplink today ... not available yet.
The channel has been placed on a normal part-time RSN transponder - so it looks like a true part-time channel.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

I was wondering about that... in a different thread.  Of all the channels they added recently, Longhorn is the one that would make sense as part-time since it is specifically for one school.  Making SEC or keeping PAC12 as part-time is sure to get more complaints from ALL the schools... but only Texas fans would complain about Longhorn being part-time HD.

In a perfect world it would be HD too... but this seems like a compromise place to draw the line in that recent deal.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Thanks folks, for all the LHN info.  Stuart, this answers my question to you in the other thread.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

BTW: Dish dropped the "part-time" flags from the main channels for BIG10, PAC12 and SEC. So those with HD should only be seeing the HD in their guides (and not both - unless they have chosen to show HD and SD for all channels).
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#25 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

Cool... and also nice to see my post in this thread is more accurate and makes more sense, and thus was more helpful :)

#26 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

I have complained in the past of having to watch SD on my HDTV and they have many answers of why I cant have a Full time RSN HD but today as Im watching Fox sports south Dish channel # 437 they r Georgia High school football games on all day the Corky Kell classic. So Im watching live games In SD with no HD channels airing the games, BUT To my amazement I look through my ALT channels I find a Live HD Georgia high school game Feed on Fox sports Arizona ALT #444 so I may ask why is there a full time Feed that people in Arizona can watch Georgia High school football but us Ga. people must suffer SD feeds. Why does Arizona get full time RSN HD and not us Fox sports south people... tell me again how RSN HD takes up to much band width and they r sill SD Tv sets out there and not enough satellite in the sky..??????

#27 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Did you try tuning to that ALT feed?  You might be able to watch it.  Sometimes we have access to the ALT feeds and that's where/how we have to watch it.

To explain the bandwidth issue to you would take far more space than anyone would want to read.  There isn't infinite bandwidth and with multiple companies broadcasting down to earth there are a lot of frequencies tied up.  For each company then there is a limited space to play in... and full time HD feeds take several times the space of SD feeds... and yes, there are a LOT of SD customers out there.  On top of that, a lot of HD customers still have SD receivers in their homes as well.

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Did you try tuning to that ALT feed?  You might be able to watch it.  Sometimes we have access to the ALT feeds and that's where/how we have to watch it.

I can get the feed ... it looks strange with a "Fox Sports Arizona" logo on a Georgia game but the content is there.

Uplinking multiple copies of the same HD feed with different logos would be wasteful.

#29 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

So u guys think that Arizona area is getting a live HD feed of a Georgia high school football game is normal and that the southeast region is only getting the SD feed on the Fox sport south assigned channel is normal and that most Dish customers would have no ideal how to find such channels because u would have to scan through the 1000 epg channel guide to find it, do yall guys own dish stocks or work for dish yall sure r drinking the Kool-aide. now I will go back to banging my head against the wall LOL

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Looking seven channels away is not that great of a burden.

Apparently you found it as you identified the feed as "Fox Sports Arizona" when channel 444 is a generic ALT channel. (FOX Arizona is channel 415.) I hope you enjoyed the games.

#31 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

There's nothing to defend.

Cable can block channels in a particular market... Dish can't do that as easily with channels that are on conus... well, they can block the channel but where cable can have a different feed instead of blocking the channel, Dish has to block the channel and the unlock an alternate feed for those who should be able to see the games.

It's never been a big deal to me to go check through the alternates when looking for a game I want to watch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dish, RSN, part-time hd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...