Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-200 Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   C6Silver

C6Silver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

I've had this box for about 3.5 years and a few days ago it started exhibiting this issue.  We will find that the box is unresponsive (no lights on the panel and nothing but a black screen on the TV).  There is, however, a red light in the back and sometimes even the record light still shows but the fan isn't running.  If I unplug the box and plug it back in, the fan will start-stop-start-stop... forever.  I typically have to try this several times with a wait in between before the box will again start normally and everything is fine for some hours before this happens again.  We haven't actually been watching it when it goes down so I don't know if an error message is displayed, etc. 

My first thought was that the box might be overheating although there was no real reason it should have.  As a test I pointed a large fan at it and kept it running.  The temp, when I checked it, was in the very low 100's (F).  However, when I came back about 6-hours later it was shutdown again and the box was very cool.  I have never seen an overheat message either when on for a while or when restarting from this issue.  Interestingly though it was much easier to restart after the fan test as I only had to unplug it once.  Could have been a coincidence. My only other thought is a potential power problem but of course that is a guess.

Certainly I can call DTV which I am sure will result in them sending me a new box for money.  I have recorded programs on this box and hate to do that so first I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

A replacement receiver will only cost $20 for the shipping and that covers returning the broken one.

When you call just tell them it is broke, no light on, nothing.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   C6Silver

C6Silver

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

It turns out to be a hard drive issue and they sent me a replacement Genie box for free.  However, I am getting a bit of mixed message about what to do with the broken one.  On the phone they told me it will need to be returned.  When the new one came it did not come with a return shipping label and the instruction sheet is for recycling.  On that sheet they mention that I am "encouraged" to print out a shipping label and send it to their recycling center.  Then at the very bottom there is a note about a 7-day return or pay policy.  So which is it?  Am I encouraged meaning not mandatory or is this is a requirement and if the latter why didn't they send me the shipping label?  The box actually works for some hours at a time so I'd love to hold on to it if possible in order to see what we recorded but did not have time to get to.  It's not worth being charged for but the mixed messaging they are sending is unclear.  Any thoughts or experiences?

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Watch like crazy, and also call them to have a return box and label sent to you. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   C6Silver

C6Silver

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Actually I just wound up having to call them.  My account did not show an activation as being possible so I had to call the rep to get the replacement activated.  While on the phone I asked them about the return.  He told me that they don't want the box and I can do whatever I want with it for as long as I'd like.  So good news there as long as the HD keeps working!

Edited by C6Silver, 24 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,625 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

why didn't they send me the shipping label?  

DirecTV® usually sends the recovery kit as another package 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

He told me that they don't want the box and I can do whatever I want with it for as long as I'd like.  

I would call again just to make sure.  I doubt they don't want a Genie back

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would call again just to make sure.  I doubt they don't want a Genie back

I think it's the HR24-200 they don't want back.  But I would call again - ask them to make a note on your file if they don't want it back.

A recovery kit could show up in a month or so.  It took over a month on a 22 that I deactivated.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

I think it's the HR24-200 they don't want back.  But I would call again - 

My mistake, but I would still make sure. Right on!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Last month I replaced a broken HR24-100. Was told on the phone they don't want that unit back. No return box has been received, and no non-return fees have been charged.

Two weeks ago I deactivated a working HR21. Was told on the phone they don't want that unit back. But this week an envelope came in the mail to return the access card. Envelope noted that a non-return fee will be charged if card is not returned.

Either way, I'm keeping both units in my basement (along with a deactivated HR20 from a couple of years ago). I'll hold onto them for at least another year, and I would suggest anyone deactivating a receiver do the same.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,146 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

A good strategy.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   C6Silver

C6Silver

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

I am going to hold on to it as we have unwatched shows.  Afterwards I may just send it to their recycling center as I have no use for it.  The guy was pretty clear with me that they have no use for it and if they did they would send the return label in the bag the replacement came in. 

#13 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,600 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

I doubt they don't want the HR24 back,  I would press on until they send you a return box,  It's usually older models that can be recycled with exception to a few receivers,  Maybe you've got a misinformed CSR.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...