Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOD Fee?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:55 AM

Why is it that the Video On Demand is $4.98 instead of $4.99 like most things? Doesn't DISH realize the money they are losing by not charging the extra penny! LOL!!!!!!

I think it is ridculous paying $4.98 for the 510 just because it holds 100 hours while my 508 holds 60.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:57 PM

First off, it's not VOD, it's a recording to a hard drive. Dish is misleading people into thinking they are getting VOD when it's not. It's a joke that they charge for it anyway, they should deduct $4.99 from anyone's bill who has one of their POS recorders.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#3 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:59 PM

Certainly this fee is lame. I'm not sure I'd say that the PVRs are in general junk, since I rather like them, but I don't believe that having to pay an extra monthly fee when one has already paid more to get the receiver is appropriate. In the case of the 921, $999 for the receiver plus the VOD fee is a kick in the crotch.

In any case, it's not that they want to charge you $5/month for the larger hard drive, it's just that they can't effectively grand-father the charge in against the 501s and 508s, since this would make people extremely upset.

#4 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:07 PM

The hardware is half way decent, it's the programming that's a POS. I think the DVR fee is just plain greed, Charlie must need a new Lear Jet or something.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 04:55 PM

No. The charge is designed to subsidize the fact that you probably got the 510 absolutely free. Even if you got it free and signed a 2 year contract, after 2 years they will only collect a mere $120 from that fee.
Mike Richardson

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:57 PM

If the charge was designed to subsidize the free or reduced 510 then why do they still make those that pay full retail price for it pay the VOD/DVR fee? Because they can, they want to increase their profits.

#7 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:14 PM

If the charge was designed to subsidize the free or reduced 510 then why do they still make those that pay full retail price for it pay the VOD/DVR fee? Because they can, they want to increase their profits.

Yeah: I'm inclined to believe this is a "Because We Can" fee. TiVO started all this by charging a monthly fee for their DVR box. In the TiVO case, that fee actually buys you something: richer directory + search ability + intelligent rule-based recording (ie. "Record all Match Game 78 episodes") DirecTV likely had to eat that fee when they went with TiVO, or pass it along to customers, which was an easy decision to make.

I would guess that DISH looked at TiVO's fee and said "heck ya, we can do that" since the name of the revenue game in these service-based monthly-subscription businesses is "incremental revenue". I only wish they'd looked at TiVO's features and followed suit there too.

ian

#8 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:53 PM

Dish is suppossed to add name based recording in the middle of the year so I guess the fee will then be justified. Of course with Dish you will have a small amount of time where it will won't work quite as well since it will have most likely have software bugs introduced with the new software. The time you have bugs will vary from anywhere from 2 years to forever depending on how long you are with Dish. :lol: But seriously, with the lawsuit with Tivo, I just wonder if they are going to go ahead and bite the bullet and license the Tivo sofware since that is really what is behind the lawsuit anyway. This would be worth the fee if you could get the Tivo season passes , wish lists etc. This would also go along ways to helping Dish stay even with Directv. I just hope they will keep the manual timers like we have now ,so I can still create my own manual timers like I have been doing all along. With my 721 this is really handy. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

It was this fee that caused me to switch from Dish to DirecTV, especially since I wanted more recording time.

I believe that someone said that DVR customers have a lower churn rate than non-DVR customers.... at least in regard to DirecTV customers.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#10 OFFLINE   Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:01 PM

Why is it that the Video On Demand is $4.98 instead of $4.99 like most things?

The reason for it being $4.98 instead of $4.99 is so that DISH can advertise that it has the LOWEST DVR fee in the industry. It may only be a penny less, but it IS lower. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:35 PM

Because the people who got the free 510s would bitch and moan about having to pay the fee while other people don't. It's foolish to pay full price for a 510 unless you REALLY want to avoid a contract.
Mike Richardson

#12 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:13 AM

But seriously, if we're talking about receivers that one has to pay full retail price for (e.g. the 921 in its present state), then absolutely none of the cost is being subsidized (for any customers).

So as was mentioned above, this is just a way to try and get extra income. I would really like to see something for it, above and beyond just the ability to record programming.

#13 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:10 AM

Dish may be introducing Name based recording later on, but you know it won't work the same as TIVO. I'll bet they can't come up with a Season Pass that can discriminate between different episodes.

#14 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:22 AM

I agree-- E* saw how popular the PVR was, and realized with all the tons of dough Tivo was raking in, that they should get in the game too. Too bad, it was a real competitive edge to offer the PVR for free. Now thats gone.

Im just thankful I still have a working 508 that I dont ever fill the disk up on. I'd really be pissed if I had to pay the VOD fee.

#15 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:23 PM

I would expect a credit on my bill for the VOD fee if the functionality did not work right. Also Tivo allows you to buy a lifetime subscription, Dish should do the same, or say that it is included when you pay retail price for the reciever.

#16 OFFLINE   shilton

shilton

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

The reason for it being $4.98 instead of $4.99 is so that DISH can advertise that it has the LOWEST DVR fee in the industry. It may only be a penny less, but it IS lower. ;)

Hmmm...what will happen later this year when Rupert drops the DVR fee? He has said he WILL. Rupert has a vision of a DVR in every home.

#17 OFFLINE   CivilizedAnarchy

CivilizedAnarchy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:57 PM

You want to know what will happen?

Same thing as when d* got Goodlife and all the channels
that e* doesn't.

"we are currently in discussions with ourselves trying to figure out
what course on non-action we will take."

There ya go.
I love my 508 and over all T120 package I have, but damn if they drag their
feet on some things. I keep hoping that there is some master plan in place
for stuff like this, programming and fees, but I don't know sometimes.

They had the programming fee structure figured out for sure though.
I mean how could we not see the 24.99 34.99 44.99 combo coming.

Oh and one last thing, the new 5.99 DHPP is crap.
If we don't sell that on a new activation, we make 15 bucks less commission
than before Feb. 1st.
And I mean commission on the whole sale, install and all.
Not my personal commission, I'm paid hourly.

Lata, C.J.

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:42 AM

Also Tivo allows you to buy a lifetime subscription, Dish should do the same, or say that it is included when you pay retail price for the reciever.

IIRC: The standalone TiVo fee for a lifetime subscription only applies to the box itself. If you buy another TiVo box, you have to buy another subscription.

Also, there is no "lifetime" TiVo fee with the DirecTiVos, but the fee covers all of the DirecTiVos on the account. When the DirecTiVo fee was much higher, then there was a lifetime fee, and those are grandfathered in.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#19 OFFLINE   Tyralak

Tyralak

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:01 AM

But seriously, if we're talking about receivers that one has to pay full retail price for (e.g. the 921 in its present state), then absolutely none of the cost is being subsidized (for any customers).

So as was mentioned above, this is just a way to try and get extra income. I would really like to see something for it, above and beyond just the ability to record programming.

As I've said before. Charlie adds the DVR fee for the same reason a dog licks his b****s: BECAUSE HE CAN.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:35 AM

The purpose of the DVR fee charged on the 510 when you receive a free model is to pay for the costs of the free model. Just look at the damn economics. Before the 510 current subs had to pay something like $199 to get a 508. It had no DVR fee and I don't remember if it had a contract. Now current subs can get a 510 free of charge in exchange for a 2 year contract. What has changed is that you get more space and you pay $5 more a month. After 2 years this only adds up to $120. This fee is paying for the 510. The 510s aren't free. They cost money to make.

Now, after the 510 has been paid off, the fee is gravy. When applied to the 921, the fee is gravy. Gravy meaning extra profit. But quit trying to say that the DVR fee is entirely baseless: you get free 510s because of it, but it is gravy besides that.
Mike Richardson

spam firewall