Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

James Garner of ‘Maverick,’ ‘Rockford Files’ Dies at 86

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

From Variety:

James Garner of ‘Maverick,’ ‘Rockford Files’ Dies at 86

Amiable actor James Garner, whose moderately successful film career was eclipsed by two extraordinarily popular television series, “Maverick” and “The Rockford Files,” has died, according to reports. He was 86.

Like many popular leading men of Hollywood’s heyday, Garner boasted all-American good looks and a winning personality that carried him through comedy and drama alike. He was one of the first of TV’s leading men to cross over into films in the ’60s with such popular movies as “The Thrill of It All” and “The Americanization of Emily.” But he had his greatest impact in television, first on “Maverick” in the ’50s and then in the ’70s on “The Rockford Files,” for which he won an Emmy in 1977. He later appeared in several quality telepics including “Promise,” “My Name Is Bill W.” and “Barbarians at the Gate,” as well as the occasional strong feature such as “Victor/Victoria” and “Murphy’s Romance,” for which he captured his sole Oscar nomination for lead actor.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

Always liked him......R.I.P. James.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

Rockford was the best show in the 70s. I will miss him. RIP

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,173 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

Was one of my top 3 favorite actors of all time. 

Mr. Garner, Rest In Peace and thank you for sharing your talent with all of us. 

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

The first record I ever bought was the theme song to Maverick.

"Who is the tall, dark stranger there?

Maverick is his name...

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

He always seemed to bring a lot of himself into the characters he played and was one of my favorites for that reason. Now I get that same feel from Nathan Fillion.

Don "'just passin through on my way to Australia' looks like he finally made it there" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I can remember watching "Maverick" with my father when the show premiered in 1957. He really enjoyed the show and so did I. And so James Garner became a favorite actor whether on TV in the "Rockford Files" or movies such as The Americanization of Emily and Murphy's Romance.

RIP

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Was one of my top 3 favorite actors of all time. 

Mr. Garner, Rest In Peace and thank you for sharing your talent with all of us. 

My sentiments as well. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

I have a vague memory of Maverick, as I was only 3 when the series premiered. But, boy, do I remember the Rockford Files! It is my favorite television series of all time, and James Garner was the perfect actor to play Jim Rockford. I always thought Jim was playing Jim. Surely the character and show were written for him. The scripts were well-written and featured many up and coming actors as guest stars. I never saw a disappointing television or movie performance by James Garner. We shall certainly miss him.

mobilelawyer
at your service

#10 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

It used to rankle Garner that critics kept saying he wasn't really acting because he kept playing himself, but lots of actors have nice careers either doing just that or seeming to.  It is better to be typecast than not cast. 

#11 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

I'm old enough to remember Maverick. It was in the same time slot as Cheyenne and Sugarfoot.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:13 AM

I'm old enough to remember Maverick. It was in the same time slot as Cheyenne and Sugarfoot.

Funny thing about TV in the 1950s and 1960s.  We made our viewing decisions with what economists might call "perfect knowledge"   We knew what was on the other two channels that we weren't watching.  I am certain that most years, I could accurately fill out the entire Prime Time grid for all three networks.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Funny thing about TV in the 1950s and 1960s.  We made our viewing decisions with what economists might call "perfect knowledge"   We knew what was on the other two channels that we weren't watching.  I am certain that most years, I could accurately fill out the entire Prime Time grid for all three networks.

And we had to decide ... if one watched Maverick one couldn't watch a Cheyenne on their DVR later. (Not to mention that one had to schedule their lives around the shows that they wanted to watch. Drop everything! Maverick is on!) Fortunately reruns were invented.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

My favorite line from "Murphy's Romance" is "I won't come for dinner if I can't stay for breakfast".

R.I.P.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

And we had to decide ... if one watched Maverick one couldn't watch a Cheyenne on their DVR later. (Not to mention that one had to schedule their lives around the shows that they wanted to watch. Drop everything! Maverick is on!) Fortunately reruns were invented.

From the mid 1950s to the early 1960s, TV seasons typically consisted of 39 episodes, so the first "summer rerun" usually came on a week or so after the school yer had ended, and since only 13 episodes were needed to fill the gap, then most of the episodes were never seen again until the series went into "syndication", which wasn't until the original series had stopped being produced.

Garner had a short-lived series called "Nichols".  I never saw it but he often claimed in interviews that it had quality and might have become a hit, except that when it was being reviewed for renewal by some executives, the wife of one of them who was seeing it for the first time, said "That isn't Maverick" and so the renewal wasn't picked up.

#16 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

You miss understood. Those three shows were all on the same channel at he same time period. They just rotated. One week Cheyenne, and the next week Sugarfoot, and then Maverick. Later Maverick got sub-divided as they added brothers. Think they got up four.

The producer did the same with 77 Sunset Strip, but I forgotten what other shows it shared the slot with.

Edited by Drucifer, 21 July 2014 - 10:51 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

Maverick wasn't part of that rotation.  It always had its own slot. 

I knew that Cheyenne had rotated with Sugar Foot and Bronco, but was not aware that before that, it had rotated with short lived Conflict, Kings Row, and Casablanca.

I'm pretty sure that one year Warner Brothers alternated two of its chessey detective shows, but I'm not sure which.

In the late 1960s and into the early 1970s, using a "wheel" programming format of similarly themed shows became popular as it took a lot of pressure off the production of episodes.  The Bold Ones alternated lawyers, doctors, a senator and a cop; the Mystery Movie had Columbo, McCloud, McMillian (and Wife) and finally Hec Ramsey; and The Name of the Game, which tied its three shows loosely, rotated Gene Barry, Robert Stack and Tony Franciosa.

A second Mystery Movie wheel was developed for Wednesday night and included Banicek, which lasted two seasons, but the other half dozen shows they tried only lasted one season each, except for Quincy, which was part of the Mystery Movie for its last year but then continued as a weekly series for many seasons thereafter.

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 July 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Here is an off-the wall TV nostalgia miindblower that is off topic but I do what I can to make sure lots of old TV watchers learn of it.  Make Room for Daddy actually ran for eleven seasons but was a flop for its first four, before Danny changed wives (no this wasn't a Darren and Darren substitution) and the show then took off in the ratings.  Most of us have never seen the first four seasons because they weren't packaged for syndication.  His original wife was played by screen actress Jean Hagen.  She quit after three year, so they wrote that she had died, and then Danny was a widower for one year, and at the end of that fourth year, they brought Marjorie Lord in as a governess to care for Rusty, and she and Danny got engaged in that season's last episode.

I've read that in the fifth year, there were episodes in which they adopted each other's kids, but after that, the writers just started writing it as if none of that had ever happened and that they were a traditional nuclear family from the get-go.

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 July 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Good to keep in mind that those old tv show story lines are not real

and probably will never, ever be brought to a satisfying conclusion.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm still fuzzy on how Warren Beatty's mother became Chatsworth Osborne's mother on Dobie Gillis.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...