Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internal and External Drive Interaction on Genie HR-44

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

OK, sounds like if I format the drive on my PC (any details on what to do or not do in the format?) I can attach, say, a 4T external to my Genie when I get it. One other question: is the speed of operations that access the drive noticeably slower when using the external vs. internal on the Genie? I know it is a completely different setup/functionality but on my Dish DVRs the external USB drive is much slower in terms of viewing the list, deleting, etc. than the built in drives.

You don't need to do any formatting on a PC, the 44 will do that.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

I don't notice any difference in speed between the external and internal drives.  Of course I am using a WD My Book AV which was specifically designed for use with DVR's.

Yup, I've never seen any difference in speed on either the internal or external drives.  The HRs do work better with a large internal drive, tho.   Assuming you own your HRs of course, as I do.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

I am not convinced you need the internal. I am convinced it is better to leave the internal alone, regardless of whether you add an X drive or not.

The reason I say this is I ran a HR20 for about 15 months, and then got a overtemp error that could not be resolved. I disconnected the X drive to go to the internal, and that did not work.

When I popped the hood I discovered that I had disabled the internal by removing the SATA cable and power, apparently just after receiving it 15 months ago, and hooked up the X only at that time.

So I hooked up the internal, but that did not immediately fix anything. It did a drive scan on its own and found some 3580 errors (on the drive I never even used). It fixed these errors in probably about 36 hours, and then was OK. I hooked the X back up and it has been working ever since, which was a couple months ago.

So, much of that is somewhat unexplainable, but the fact remains I ran with the X connected and the internal disconnected, for a considerably long time.

My understanding is that there is a hybrid OS, some things are in flash and some are on the HDD, which is why you can essentially stuff a blank formatted drive in and be good to go. It seems there is a fixed BIOS-like startup order, meaning it looks for a drive externally and mounts that if available, and if not it moves to the internal. But it will not mount both drives, which is unfortunate.

It's. Hard to convince if you don't have basic knowledge. The "hybrid OS" is that factor. Plus total irrelevance of your post based on hr20 experience while posting in dedicated HR44 thread. Read about Linux in the DVRs...

Edited by P Smith, 27 July 2014 - 06:11 PM.

• Rich likes this

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

You don't need to do any formatting on a PC, the 44 will do that.

Rich

Yes, and no....  Some model HR44's won't see or use a brand new drive so formatting it on a PC is a good idea.   Now, the caveat here is that it doesn't need a full formatting, just a partitioning unless you have a Mac and then just initializing the drive is enough.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Yes, and no....  Some model HR44's won't see or use a brand new drive so formatting it on a PC is a good idea.   Now, the caveat here is that it doesn't need a full formatting, just a partitioning unless you have a Mac and then just initializing the drive is enough.

Yeah, now I remember that.  Which 44 was it?  Not that I have any intention of getting one, but you never know.  

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, now I remember that.  Which 44 was it?  Not that I have any intention of getting one, but you never know.  

Rich

I know it's at least the HR44-500 but I believe there was another HR44 that this happens with as well.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yet another reason not to bother with them.  Oh well...

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Rich I can't think of a single reason to stick with HR24 x anything over a hr44 anything. Not one reason. Sadly you can replace all your units woth them. At least not yet.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

Rich I can't think of a single reason to stick with HR24 x anything over a hr44 anything. Not one reason. Sadly you can replace all your units woth them. At least not yet.

I can think of lots of reasons, but I'm not gonna go into it on the open forum.

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#30 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

This seems to be the most recent thread discussing adding an external HDD to a HR44 so I thought I might run the below setup by you folks. There is an older, longer thread but it doesn't seem to have had any activity for quite some time.

Anyway, thinking of the below,

putting one of these,

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

in one of these,

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think I read somewhere that the blue LEDs can be disabled which is something I definitely would plan to do.

I chose the RED model at it's supposedly designed to work in an NAS environment where the drive would likely stay spinning all the time, something I think a DVR application would be happy with.

So does the above sound like a good workable combo with the HR44? And if I don't really need the RED can anyone recommend a different model?

Thanks

#31 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 478 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

While the Red drive will probably work, in your single drive config the most appropriate choice would be one of the AV drives, like a WD Purple drive or a Seagate SV35.  They are optimized for 24/7 video recording and playback, and are a bit quieter.  Price is about the same.

Keith

#32 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

While the Red drive will probably work, in your single drive config the most appropriate choice would be one of the AV drives, like a WD Purple drive or a Seagate SV35.  They are optimized for 24/7 video recording and playback, and are a bit quieter.  Price is about the same.

Keith

Yes, and apparently the WD Green AV drives are good as well. I've used the WD Greens in 3 different TiVos used for Comcast and they've all been fine but the Red caught my eye due to it's spec as a "commercial" style AV drive. 

Thanks for the tips on the WD Purple and the Seagate.

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yes, and apparently the WD Green AV drives are good as well. I've used the WD Greens in 3 different TiVos used for Comcast and they've all been fine but the Red caught my eye due to it's spec as a "commercial" style AV drive. 

Thanks for the tips on the WD Purple and the Seagate.

I've got WD Green drives on/in most of my HRs and they seem to be trouble free.  

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

I've got WD Green drives on/in most of my HRs and they seem to be trouble free.  

Rich

Thanks, since the Green is less expensive so I'll probably go with it.

Edited by keenan, 04 August 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, since the Green is less expensive so I'll probably go with it.

I'd also go for a more expensive enclosure.  You might try this one:  Link.  I haven't seen any negative posts about it.  Seems dependable and quiet.  

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I'd also go for a more expensive enclosure.  You might try this one:  Link.  I haven't seen any negative posts about it.  Seems dependable and quiet.  

Rich

That does look like a nice enclosure, as long as those double fans really are quiet. My original choice will be here today though so I'll see how it goes with that one, if the fan is noisy or the build quality is lacking I likely will go for the Thermaltake.

Thanks

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

That does look like a nice enclosure, as long as those double fans really are quiet. My original choice will be here today though so I'll see how it goes with that one, if the fan is noisy or the build quality is lacking I likely will go for the Thermaltake.

Thanks

If you're worried about noise (the link I sent you is supposed to be very quiet), you might want to try a TT dock.  The only way to get noise out of one of them is to put a noisy HDD in it.  Here's a link to the dock.  Don't worry about the exposed part of the HDD, dust is also not a factor as it is in all the fan enclosures.  The dock is plug and play.  No tools needed.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

If you're worried about noise (the link I sent you is supposed to be very quiet), you might want to try a TT dock.  The only way to get noise out of one of them is to put a noisy HDD in it.  Here's a link to the dock.  Don't worry about the exposed part of the HDD, dust is also not a factor as it is in all the fan enclosures.  The dock is plug and play.  No tools needed.

Rich

Yes, I've seen those and they are also an interesting alternative. I'm hoping the Sabrent does the job but if not I've certainly got some excellent options to choose from, thanks!

#39 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Well, the Sabrent fan is much too noisy for a DVR expander type of application, and both Thermaltakes seem to be limited to 2TB drives so I'm in the hunt still for a suitable enclosure.

#40 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Well, the Sabrent fan is much too noisy for a DVR expander type of application, and both Thermaltakes seem to be limited to 2TB drives so I'm in the hunt still for a suitable enclosure.

Maybe I should ask, a 3TB drive(external) is doable with the HR44-500 isn't it?

Edited by keenan, 05 August 2014 - 04:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...