Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internal and External Drive Interaction on Genie HR-44

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Maybe I should ask, a 3TB drive(external) is doable with the HR44-500 isn't it?

Yes

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,568 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Well, the Sabrent fan is much too noisy for a DVR expander type of application, and both Thermaltakes seem to be limited to 2TB drives so I'm in the hunt still for a suitable enclosure.

I'm pretty sure both the TT enclosure and the TT dock will support a 3TB drive.  No matter what the specs on them say.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Yes

Thanks!

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,568 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks!

I think he's tested the 44s at over 10TBs.  Using RAID boxes.

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Rich

That is a lot of storage!

That Thermaltake enclosure you linked to earlier was the USB 3.0 model, I'm assuming you meant to link to the eSATA model and that it likely supports 3TB drives as well?

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,568 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

That Thermaltake enclosure you linked to earlier was the USB 3.0 model, I'm assuming you meant to link to the eSATA model and that it likely supports 3TB drives as well?

Yeah, I fixed the link.  Didn't even know they made a straight USB enclosure.  Stupid mistake, sorry.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,568 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yes, it is.  Way too much for a unit that you know is gonna fail sometime.  He was only testing.  I think he's got 3 or 4 TBs on it now.  

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yes, it is.  Way too much for a unit that you know is gonna fail sometime.  He was only testing.  I think he's got 3 or 4 TBs on it now.  

Rich

Yes, that makes sense, I'm even thinking that 3 TB might be too much for my use given possible failure and/or non-use of all the space. But the cost per GB is just better the larger you go and it can always be used to store data in a computer situation. I'm going to roll with the Thermaltake for a few weeks and if no problems develop I'll likely just leave it as is. 

#49 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

It's. Hard to convince if you don't have basic knowledge. The "hybrid OS" is that factor. Plus total irrelevance of your post based on hr20 experience while posting in dedicated HR44 thread. Read about Linux in the DVRs...

Puh-leese.

What might be "totally irrelevant" is someone who has significant difficulty composing the simplest sentence in English, posting in a dedicated English-speaking thread. It's a DTV DVR forum. In English.

And I would be pretty surprised if the 44 were not simply an outgrowth of earlier DVRs in the same family, and I'm pretty sure that they did not build it from scratch using a different vision. It does virtually the same job, plus an additional tuner or two, with the single add-on of supporting a client, using a mildly custom version of the same OS. The basics still apply, and since I don't see you listed as a mod, I don't think you have the authority to hall-monitor the rest of us regarding some imaginary rules you have dreamed up. There probably hasn't been a DVR that was not Linux, so I also don't need you lecturing me on that or anything else. And actually, I have probably already forgotten more about the subject than you might ever hope to know or understand.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#50 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Rich

I maxed out my testing using 12TB RAID0.  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#51 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Rich

HR44 is at 6TB and HR34 is at 4TB.   None of which do I mind losing.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#52 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Yes, that makes sense, I'm even thinking that 3 TB might be too much for my use given possible failure and/or non-use of all the space. But the cost per GB is just better the larger you go and it can always be used to store data in a computer situation. I'm going to roll with the Thermaltake for a few weeks and if no problems develop I'll likely just leave it as is. 

It's better to have too much than not enough.  Some users have reported system slowdowns with drive usage around 80%.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#53 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

It's better to have too much than not enough.  Some users have reported system slowdowns with drive usage around 80%.

Yes, definitely, and that's good to know about the 80%, thanks!

#54 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

I just hooked up a new HR44 with a 9TB Raid 5 array.  4x3Tb drives in a Cineraid 458 box.  So far it seems to be working OK although it hasn't been stress tested yet.

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,568 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Yes, definitely, and that's good to know about the 80%, thanks!

Oddly, they also run better with some content on them than they do when they're near empty.  Just an observation.  

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...