Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need advice for satellite antenna

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ultimofootball

ultimofootball

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I have a detached workshop where I used to have Directv, but I now have Dish network.  I have a Dish 211k receiver that I want to be able to use in my workshop to watch football in a few weeks, but all I have mounted is a Directv antenna with a single coax going inside the building.  Is there a Dish antenna that I can buy (and hopefully use the old Directv mount) that I can buy and put up with a single coax that has HD signal capability?  Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

No city  ===

If your locals are on Eastern Arc (61.5 - the bulk of the national programming is on 72.7)  - either a 1000.4 EA (61.5, 72.7 and 77) or 1000.2 EA (61.5 / 72.7) . If your locals are on 77 - then you MUST use a 1000.4 Dish/LNB

If your HD locals are only on 129 - then a Western Arc 1000.2 dish  / LNB

You do not have to have both Eastern and western arcs  - just one is fine.

I would suggest calling Dish and have them arrainge the installation. In any of the LNB  Dish  cases listes - all you need to your 211 is a single coax.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   ultimofootball

ultimofootball

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I think I will call Dish.  They will probably charge for installation since I am not a new customer, but that will be ok.  Or I guess I could go with Tailgater and just hook it up when I need it out there.  Thanks again!  By the way, city is Huntsville.

#4 OFFLINE   ultimofootball

ultimofootball

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

It looks like in my setup I am pointed to Satellite 61.5 and 72.7 according to my settings on the receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

A DISH HD antenna should fit on a DIRECTV SD mount (assuming there's room to swing for the larger dish). You should confirm that it is plumb after removing the DIRECTV dish.

If the workshop is significantly distant from the house, DISH may balk in which case you'll have to do it yourself or hire a third party.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Actually if the DTV antenna is a Slimline then the pole diameter is 2" and you will need an adapter to go from 2" to the 1.66 inches that Dish uses. 

I just did that install and used the old DTV mount with an adapter.  

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

I just did that install and used the old DTV mount with an adapter.

While very handy, those adapters don't appear to be on the Approved Equipment List.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I didn't figure it was actually a Dish piece of hardware but it is extremely sturdy just bolting it on.  For $10 it made the installation very easy. Bolt the adapter on then put the Dish on the adapter, aim it and lock in place.  Much easier than installing a new mount.  

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

Protected By... spam firewall...And...