Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH possible newbie questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

Have been with DirecTV now for a few years. Prior to that time we were with DISH. Thinking of possibly returning.

Last time with DISH I had a couple of VIP622's and was very happy with them. Now I guess it's all about The Hopper, Super Joey and Joey.

Right now I have an HR34 that can record up to 5 shows (any) at one time. I also have an HR23 which allows me to record another two shows at one time. I also have an AM21 for a backup on my locals when I lose a signal because of rain fade. We also have the whole home setup and the HD package.

My questions are these:

1. What kind of setup should I order to get service into 4 rooms and be able to record at least the seven shows that I now can?

2. Does the Hopper come with Sling capability?

3. Can I watch a recording on my IPad or laptop while out of the home network? My daughter has DISH and said she was able to watch her recordings on her IPad while on vacation!

4. Are The Hopper, Super Joey and Joey fairly stable? My HR34 is a little suspect. Picture freezes or pixalates quite often.

Thanks for the help

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

To record 7 programs, you can request the Hopper (3 tuners), Super Joey (2 tuners), and 2 Joeys or Wireless Joeys.  The Hopper and Super Joey setup provides 5 tuners, which allows the recording of 5 events or viewing 5 different channels.  With Primetime Any Time (PTAT), you can record 8 events during the primetime hours - record the 4 local HD channels on 1 tuner, plus 4 additional events on the remaining 4 tuners.

The Hopper w/Sling has the Sling technology built into the receiver.

With the Sling techology, you can view Live TV or DVR recordings from your iPad, iPhone, or other compatible mobile devices or computers.  The Hopper must be connected to the Internet with a minimum of 4 MBs upload speed for HD viewing.

With all electronics, you may experience anamolies.  When an issue arises that is associated with the software or hardware, we work to resolve those issues as quickly as possible.  Please let me know if you have further questions.  Thanks.

Have been with DirecTV now for a few years. Prior to that time we were with DISH. Thinking of possibly returning.

Last time with DISH I had a couple of VIP622's and was very happy with them. Now I guess it's all about The Hopper, Super Joey and Joey.

Right now I have an HR34 that can record up to 5 shows (any) at one time. I also have an HR23 which allows me to record another two shows at one time. I also have an AM21 for a backup on my locals when I lose a signal because of rain fade. We also have the whole home setup and the HD package.

My questions are these:

1. What kind of setup should I order to get service into 4 rooms and be able to record at least the seven shows that I now can?

2. Does the Hopper come with Sling capability?

3. Can I watch a recording on my IPad or laptop while out of the home network? My daughter has DISH and said she was able to watch her recordings on her IPad while on vacation!

4. Are The Hopper, Super Joey and Joey fairly stable? My HR34 is a little suspect. Picture freezes or pixalates quite often.

Thanks for the help

#3 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

You could also have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. One more tuner than Hopper/Super Joey, and more storage. Each Hopper could have an OTA adapter ADDING 2 more tuners.

• harsh likes this

#4 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm just having a hard time getting my head wrapped around prime time anytime! I don't have that with Directv. I just pick the 7 shows I want to record and viola, it's done.

I record quite a few show that are not on network TV. Does the prime time recording capability apply to major network shows or is any channel during prime time? What is prime time?

Thanks for your help.

#5 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm just having a hard time getting my head wrapped around prime time anytime! I don't have that with Directv. I just pick the 7 shows I want to record and viola, it's done.

I record quite a few show that are not on network TV. Does the prime time recording capability apply to major network shows or is any channel during prime time? What is prime time?

Thanks for your help.

PTAT records the 4 main networks (ABC,CBS,NBC & FOX) DISH has grouped the networks so they are on the same transponder. That way the 4 can be recorded together.

#6 OFFLINE   lighthouse94

lighthouse94

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

My Dish with Dish network is pointed at 72 and 61.5 I noticed on the local networks list that very few are at 72, why is that ? Just wondering

#7 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

My Dish with Dish network is pointed at 72 and 61.5 I noticed on the local networks list that very few are at 72, why is that ? Just wondering

DISH uses 61.5 and 77 for local markets. 72 is all national channels. The "local networks" you see there are not available to customers.
  • lighthouse94 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   lighthouse94

lighthouse94

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

DISH uses 61.5 and 77 for local markets. 72 is all national channels. The "local networks" you see there are not available to customers.

Thanks !!!

#9 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for your help.

Other than the fact that PTAT records the big 4 on 1 tuner, the other GREAT thing about PTAT is Auto-Hop.  Our family has become rather addicted to it.  With PTAT enabled most Prime Time recordings will have AH available after 1 AM the next morning.  When you view a AH recording a prompt asks if you want to watch AH.  If you select yes the program will start and forward to the beginning even if there is a buffer, then when the show goes into a break within a few seconds the Hopper forwards to within a few seconds of the show coming back on, all automagically.  (PTAT recordings auto delete after 8 days.)  The Hopper also uses only 1 tuner to record or view any big 4 network programs at the same time even outside of PTAT hours, so for example, if you were watching ABC and recording something on NBC and maybe someone else was viewing CBS at a Joey location, you would only be using 1 tuner regardless of the time of day.  Another great thing about PTAT is that you can set it for only the nights and networks that you want, so if a majority of your primetime network viewing is on certain nights and channels you can set those.  However, even if you only have PTAT enabled for 1 night and for 1 network, any primetime network shows that you record on that Hopper that have Auto-Hop will be AH enabled even if not recorded using PTAT.  Another plus is you can also go into the PTAT folder and set recordings to be saved or save a series and they will be moved automatically into your "My Recordings" folder and will not auto delete.  We have 2 Hoppers in a family of 5 including 2 college age and 1 high school age child.  We have PTAT enabled full time on one Hopper and 1 night on the other Hopper and it works out well for us.  We have been very happy with the Hopper with Sling system and have experienced very few bugs, most of which have been corrected.  We have not lost recordings or missed recordings although there have been a very few reports of that happening to a few people.  As Ray C said, no tech system is going to be perfect, but this one is close.  However, if not having 7 tuners is a deal breaker, this system might not be for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...