Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN Classic

Why not in AT250?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Several years ago we used to have ESPN Classic in the regular AT250. Why was that removed? I wish Dish would include that back in the AT250. It is the only ESPN channel I watched, seeing old TV shows like the White Shaddow as well as the old ABC sports games. I sure miss it, but it is not worth subscribing to the whole sports package just to get the one channel. I tried that for a while, but it is just too expensive. Any chance of Dish adding ESPN Classic back into AT250? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

A few years ago ESPN made an offer to most providers to put in ESPN Classic in a higher package in exchange for putting ESPNU, which has live events, in a more widely distributed package.

As for it ever changing, don't hold your breath, the deal Dish made with ESPN/Disney earlier this year mentioned that Dish will transition ESPN Classic to an On Demand service.

Edited by KyL416, 22 July 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

You are asking for a channel that was literally the least watched sports TV channel in the U.S., and right there with the lowest of all Cable channels. It isn't just with DISH that it is going away from traditional programming packages. I disagree that it should be in the regular packages, it's where it should be IMO.

At least you should be able to get it on demand soon, that should be better for you than having to get the Sports package, though almost everyone has been able to get that package for $6 or less for quite awhile.

Edited by tampa8, 26 July 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Several years ago we used to have ESPN Classic in the regular AT250. Why was that removed? I wish Dish would include that back in the AT250. It is the only ESPN channel I watched, seeing old TV shows like the White Shaddow as well as the old ABC sports games. I sure miss it, but it is not worth subscribing to the whole sports package just to get the one channel. I tried that for a while, but it is just too expensive. Any chance of Dish adding ESPN Classic back into AT250? Thanks.

That was the most boring channel ever! Who wants to watch 40 year old sports events? 

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,308 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

That was the most boring channel ever! Who wants to watch 40 year old sports events?

It is not the most popular channel ... but it is nice for nostalgia. Where else can you see that content?

When it converts to on demand only I hope all of the content remains available.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

I might have watched more if they had HD on ESPNClassic.  The truly classic old games it didn't matter... but the newer classic games that I remember watching in HD it was never worth watching in SD for a replay on the Classic channel.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

I liked the old TV Shows like the ABC celebrity games and The White Shadow.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

As for it ever changing, don't hold your breath, the deal Dish made with ESPN/Disney earlier this year mentioned that Dish will transition ESPN Classic to an On Demand service.

And Wednesday (Oct 1st) was the day. ESPN Classic is gone. Content is only available through ESPN OnDemand.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

And Wednesday (Oct 1st) was the day. ESPN Classic is gone. Content is only available through ESPN OnDemand.

I did not watch much of ESPN Classic, recently, in its early days it had some good content.

Maybe, with moving a couple channels, FOX Sports 2 can be moved next to FOX Sports 1 instead of a couple hundred channels away..

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,308 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'd be very surprised to see 143 become anything except an ESPN channel (I expected it to be used for a VOD channel similar to the VOD version of ESPN). Putting another providers between the core ESPN channels, or even the multi-view or scroll advertising non-ESPN channels, would probably not be acceptable to ESPN.

DISH could move down channel 403 or 407 but they are better off near the RSNs. If either moved to 143 I would expect 403 to move - but it works at 403 and wouldn't help with opening 151 for FS2.

#11 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

It is bad enough that we have other 24 hour channels. Those channels can become just as boring as well.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

The problem w/ this is, there are actual LIVE football games scheduled to air exclusively on ESPN classic.

Guess we'll hafta use the App now...

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#13 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

ESPN Classic ran a couple shows I liked, the White Shadow and the ABC Celebrity Games back in the 70s.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,308 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

The problem w/ this is, there are actual LIVE football games scheduled to air exclusively on ESPN classic.

I looked online for a schedule of games on ESPN Classic and found a page saying "no games scheduled". Do you have a list of live games scheduled for ESPN Classic? Perhaps they have moved to other channels or to the ESPN Alt channels?

#15 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

Doh!  you're right, my mistake.  They "used to" air live games on occasion but from what I'm seeing now in the schedule, those games are on ESPNews now.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#16 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

According to what I've read the ON DEMAND content will follow the current sports season and will have 600 hours of ON DEMAND content available with this month's being college football and basketball. I suppose this is ESPN's attempt to save face, after all they bought the channel for something like 200 million just a few years ago and as has been stated, like their 3D channel, no one was watching it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...