Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does Dish still have a national feed of the CW

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

For DMA's that don't have a local CW?

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

We do not have a national feed of the CW

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Matt, I knew they used to have it. Someone in the Terre Haute DMA was asking me if they'd get CW programming. I had someone at Dish tell me they'd be able to on "channel 919" which didn't sound right to me so that's why I asked here.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

There is a channel 919 CW on the satellites ... what it is for and if it is available to anyone is a good question.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 ONLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

There is a channel 919 CW on the satellites ... what it is for and if it is available to anyone is a good question.

Able to tune to it here, appears to be WPIX 11 and it has the CW primetime lineup.

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

Able to tune to it here

Where is "here"?

#7 ONLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Where is "here"?

Huntington, Indiana where we do have access to CW on a subchannel out of Fort Wayne we can receive OTA.

Edited by John W, 23 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Ok well I'm not too far away, Marion, but of course I'm in the Indy DMA and we can't see channel 919 here, Indy has a .1 OTA local channel that carries the CW so I'm sure that's why. The fact that you can though is encouraging, because Dish doesn't provide your local CW via satellite, probably because it's a sub-channel there. So this means that maybe the guy in Terre Haute who also doesn't have a CW as .1 OTA channel and therefore not delivered by Dish via satellite has a chance that he can see 919. It would be nice if on their website when you look up locals and they don't offer the CW as local they would maybe list that CW programming is available on channel 919.

#9 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Actually, there is at least one market that has a CW that is not a primary subchannel.  It is in Meridian, MS and they get it in HD. 

Below is what I sent to ceo@dishnetwork.com asking about when we would get our CW::

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you check and see why Dish Network does not plan to add the CW network affiliate for Jackson, MS to the locals package?  We had it in the package until last May, when WRBJ 34 switched to Trinity.  For some reason, Trinity is still in the locals package, even though I understand that there is an agreement with Trinity to not require local carriage if the Trinity national feed is provided.

I am quite upset about this after finding out that the Meridian, MS market, which like ours, has CW on a secondary subchannel in HD, IS CARRIED in their locals package.  Is there some valid reason for denying a market which has 5 times more households than Meridian their CW affiliate in HD?

I was just curious as to whether WJTV is asking too much to carry CW (in case I need to give them grief).  In analyzing spotbeam information, it appears that there would be enough room for another 720P HD channel, when comparing how many HD and SD channels the nearby Memphis, TN spotbeam has.  There are a lot of Jackson, MS subscribers to Dish who want this channel, especially since we had CW before.  

I also found the 2014 Nielsen DMA comparison between my market, Jackson, MS, and Meridian, MS (the market where you already offer the HD CW affiliate that is on primary ABC affiliate WTOK 11 subchannel 2).  The Jackson DMA is roughly 5 times bigger than Meridian.  Maybe this information would help sway the executives to move negotiations forward.  WJTV says that "Dish Network won't make the CW channel available", so I'm not sure who's right in this issue.

Jackson, MS  Rank:94th of 210    TV Homes:  335,950
Meridian, MS  Rank:186th of 210  TV Homes:    69,560  

Edited by gor88, 24 July 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Most of the 233-239 super-station package channels have CW programming. I like to know why this package is not supporting what the Dish super-station package is supposed to do?  Originally we had several independent  stations. Now they are affiliates of a network, they should not be classified as a super-station. 

I would recommend keep  KTLA, and replace others with real super-stations , if they are still some out there. Here is a great chance to see if Me-TV-Chicago come here, instead of asking dish to try to use channels 02-69, which is unavailable because of space. 

I think Denver channel 20 is independent and there should be plenty more to choose from across America. We should see up to 7  stations from each time zone , instead of just east coast & Denver.

What do you think of this idea?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...