Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV - Going from Choice Xtra to Select Package?

directv choice xtra select package

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtv4523

dtv4523

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

I currently have the grandfathered choice xtra classic package, with 3 HD dvrs that are all connected for around 89.00 dollars. I was thinking of moving over to the select package which would drop our bill down to 55 dollars. I just wanted to see if you guys thought this would be a good move. I know typically it's not a good idea to loose grandfathered plans, but I don't watch any sports channels which seems to be the major difference between the choice xtra classic package and the select package. 

Just wanted to get some thoughts before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

It all depends on what you watch.  I was on Extra for a long time, but only for the Tennis Channel and AMC.  With the rising cost of the RSNs I don't watch (we have a $3+ RSN fee in LA) and the lack of the Pac-12 network that I would watch, I downgraded all the way down to the Entertainment value the second Mad Men ended.  I'm probably gonna drop down to Select now that the World Cup is over, too.  I think Entertainment and Select are identical except for the ESPN nets.  My wife liked the Cooking Channel, but not enough to justify the difference in price.

#3 OFFLINE   dtv4523

dtv4523

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

It all depends on what you watch.  I was on Extra for a long time, but only for the Tennis Channel and AMC.  With the rising cost of the RSNs I don't watch (we have a $3+ RSN fee in LA) and the lack of the Pac-12 network that I would watch, I downgraded all the way down to the Entertainment value the second Mad Men ended.  I'm probably gonna drop down to Select now that the World Cup is over, too.  I think Entertainment and Select are identical except for the ESPN nets.  My wife liked the Cooking Channel, but not enough to justify the difference in price.

Thanks for the comments. I don't watch anything on AMC and no sports at all. So is Select the cheapest package or the entertainment? 

#4 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the comments. I don't watch anything on AMC and no sports at all. So is Select the cheapest package or the entertainment? 

Family is the cheapest. However with the pricing you stated it sounds like you're getting some credits and if that's the case they don't always follow to a lesser package so the savings may not be as much.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   dtv4523

dtv4523

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Family is the cheapest. However with the pricing you stated it sounds like you're getting some credits and if that's the case they don't always follow to a lesser package so the savings may not be as much.

So do you think it's a good idea to drop down to at least the select package? I don't want to loose a grandfathered plan, then come to regret it later. I also don't want to pay for a package I'm not watching. 

#6 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Select is cheaper.  Entertainment is $8 or so more for a couple ESPN channels.  Technically, there is an unadvertised Family Package that is the real cheapest, but it has very few channels that most people are interested in.  Also, if you have discounts applied to your account, I think you need to have Select or higher to keep them.  

#7 OFFLINE   dtv4523

dtv4523

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

Select is cheaper.  Entertainment is $8 or so more for a couple ESPN channels.  Technically, there is an unadvertised Family Package that is the real cheapest, but it has very few channels that most people are interested in.  Also, if you have discounts applied to your account, I think you need to have Select or higher to keep them.  

Thanks. So it doesn't sound like I need to keep this grandfathered package since I don't watch the sports channels.

#8 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thanks. So it doesn't sound like I need to keep this grandfathered package since I don't watch the sports channels.

Sounds like it.  Although you haven't mentioned what you do watch, so it's hard to say for sure.

#9 OFFLINE   dtv4523

dtv4523

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like it.  Although you haven't mentioned what you do watch, so it's hard to say for sure.

It looks you mainly loose the sports channels, AE, and Own by dropping to the select package from what I have currently. As I missing any other big channels? 

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,837 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

It looks you mainly loose the sports channels, AE, and Own by dropping to the select package from what I have currently. As I missing any other big channels? 

Go here, put in your zip code and you can compare all channels that come in all packages and see all the channels that you will be missing by dropping down. You can also print this and it might make it easier to read.

https://www.directv....package-section

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   RussP

RussP

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Depends on what you want.

http://www.directv.c...se_packages.jsp

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

I caution that the prices you're using may be promotional prices and not retail for an existing customer. I'm thinking your pre-tax bill will be closer to $86 than $55 if you go with Select:

Select                           $49.99
Advanced Receiver Service - DVR  $10.00
Advanced Receiver Service - HD   $10.00
Whole Home DVR Service            $4.00
Receiver fees ($18.00-6.00)      $12.00

Total                            $85.99

ps: IP Board doesn't seem to be able to avoid colored parsing of nocode codeboxes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   dtv4523

dtv4523

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I caution that the prices you're using may be promotional prices and not retail for an existing customer. I'm thinking your pre-tax bill will be closer to $86 than $55 if you go with Select:

Select                           $49.99
Advanced Receiver Service - DVR  $10.00
Advanced Receiver Service - HD   $10.00
Whole Home DVR Service            $4.00
Receiver fees ($18.00-6.00)      $12.00

Total                            $85.99
ps: IP Board doesn't seem to be able to avoid colored parsing of nocode codeboxes.

yes, that is with a 25 dollar credit they have put on my bill each month.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

yes, that is with a 25 dollar credit they have put on my bill each month.

It may not be safe to assume that you will be eligible for that same credit after the change.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

It may not be safe to assume that you will be eligible for that same credit after the change.

As mentioned above, most credits are valid on the Select Package and above.  But it wouldn't hurt to call in and confirm.

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Do you know if I can keep my credits currently on the Mas Ultra spanish to the Xtra package?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Do you know if I can keep my credits currently on the Mas Ultra spanish to the Xtra package?

Only DIRECTV can tell you how they are going to treat you.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Only DIRECTV can tell you how they are going to treat you.

Which based on numerous threads here, seems like DirecTV® is very generous when giving out discounts.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

We've been on the select classic pkg (w/espn) for years (after dumping the grandfathered total choice). Select choice is the best value by far. Pkgs just above it have more channels of course, buts it mostly junk that's repeated over & over. With the major networks being 75% of our viewing, we can't watch all that we dvr now! Plus, just keep an eye out at the link below, there's plenty of free promos all year, every year.

http://www.freepreview.tv/tag/directv

Edited by rb5505, 28 July 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   gt2982a

gt2982a

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

We've been on the Select package for about 3 months and have no regrets.  BTW, there is a $5.00 per month Select package discount available if you complain about your bill being too high.  According to a CSR, that's the only discount avalable although I'm sure if you are not in a contract, you can negotiate for more.  We have about one year left on our contract.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: directv, choice xtra, select package

Protected By... spam firewall...And...