Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with HR24-500 DVR

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jackm

jackm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

I have had this receiver for sometime.  But recently - I can't turn the receiver on and off - with the remote control.  Can't change channels - new batteries etc.  So tried to turn the receiver off and on from the receiver - and nothing worked.  couldn't not change channels either.  I unplugged and did a reboot - and things will start working for an hour or so....and then everything stops.  Hope someone has some suggestions...as this is the main receiver in my living room.  Thanks for any and all help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

Time for a replacement - call them.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   jackm

jackm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

Any way to save the movies I have on the receiver?  Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

Buy a Hauppauge and try to transfer them. http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html

Or buy the BluRays/DVDs.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

I have had this receiver for sometime.  But recently - I can't turn the receiver on and off - with the remote control.  Can't change channels - new batteries etc.  So tried to turn the receiver off and on from the receiver - and nothing worked.  couldn't not change channels either.  I unplugged and did a reboot - and things will start working for an hour or so....and then everything stops.  Hope someone has some suggestions...as this is the main receiver in my living room.  Thanks for any and all help.

Try this, it might help.

When the receiver is working, Menu, Search & Browse, Smart Search, now type in CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it work.

It will restart and does some housekeeping by getting rid of old information. All of your recordings, settings, favorites, etc. will still be there.

Did you get a new TV or add anything to the room that might be emitting IR signals. Too much IR signals have been known to totally lock up a receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,470 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

I would try an RF remote 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

I would try an RF remote 

You must have missed the part where the OP said he couldn't even turn it off at the box, without a remote being involved.  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,470 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

You must have missed the part where the OP said he couldn't even turn it off at the box, without a remote being involved.  :)

Nope, did not missed it.  It could be interference.  I would still try an RF remote 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

He could try changing to RF if he has it during this hour that it is working.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

How warm is the DVR to the touch?

Have you checked its internal temperature reading?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

How does one do that?

Also, does CLEARMYBOX work on all DVR+ models?

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

How does one do that?

Also, does CLEARMYBOX work on all DVR+ models?

Menu, Search & Browse, Smart Search, now type in CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it work.

I have used it on both of my HR24-100s and it worked well. Others have reported that they used it on their HR34s and it worked for them.

It is similar to doing a rbr and as son as programming comes back then do a rbr again but it appears to do more. I have no documentation as to what it actually is doing.

#13 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

Youtube stuff used to make mine freeze up. Try Red button reset, unplug, call in for replacement if needed!

#14 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

It is similar to doing a rbr and as son as programming comes back then do a rbr again but it appears to do more. I have no documentation as to what it actually is doing.

Not only does it flush the Guide and Youtube,Pandora and My Directv features,  It also flushes the channel logos in the banner

It literally does clearmybox  :biggrin:  ,  But is better than doing double reboots which could take forever,  Not with the HR44 though

• jimmie57 likes this

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Nope, did not missed it.  It could be interference.  I would still try an RF remote 

Interference doesn't keep a button actually on the unit itself from working.  lol

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

Interference doesn't keep a button actually on the unit itself from working.  lol

+1. Also the fact it works as expected for an hour after a reboot, and then stops responding. Sounds like a corrupted software issue, to me. I've never tried this, but re-installing the current software might fix it and save the recordings. Nothing to lose trying that.

If that doesn't work, I'd try watching as many recordings as possible and then doing a "reset everything". If that fails, then time to send it back, IMHO.

/steve

#17 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Like harsh said I would check the temp in the System Info menu by pressing Info button for a few seconds,  which the System Test/Info menu pops up, then go to System Info,  Or go to DiagnosticTest for hard drive CPU etc   maybe someone can chime in on how to access it.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#18 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

On a reboot, when you see 'Running Self-Check' press the select key and a menu of diagnostics is presented.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Menu, Search & Browse, Smart Search, now type in CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it work.

I have used it on both of my HR24-100s and it worked well. Others have reported that they used it on their HR34s and it worked for them.

I tried it on a bunch of my HRs and it screwed up my MRV royally.  I'm probably the only one this has happened to, but I got back from vacation, waited a few days, rebooted all the HRs and the MRV is now working normally.  Since nobody else has reported the same thing happening to them, I'll attribute that to my lousy luck and just keep on doing what I've always done when an HR got wonky, reboot twice quickly.  

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

+1. Also the fact it works as expected for an hour after a reboot, and then stops responding. Sounds like a corrupted software issue, to me. I've never tried this, but re-installing the current software might fix it and save the recordings. Nothing to lose trying that.

If that doesn't work, I'd try watching as many recordings as possible and then doing a "reset everything". If that fails, then time to send it back, IMHO.

If that was any other HR than a 500, I'd agree.  I can't help but wonder if the next NR might clear up his problems.  Don't know when that might be, but I've had 500s do some wacky things that the next NR cleared up.  I've never seen this happen on any other model, just the 24-500.  I've tried downloading and installing the NR in the stream, but that's never worked.  But, as you said, there's nothing to lose by reinstalling the software.  I know it's hard to wait for an NR to fix something, but I do it, rather than lose a 500, no matter how wacky they are I like them.  Certainly doesn't sound like a hardware issue, not a PS issue.  I think you're right about the corrupted software.

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...