Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WBOC and FOX21 Could Disappear from DIRECTV Channel Lineup After July 31

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

WBOC and FOX21 Could Disappear from DIRECTV Channel Lineup After July 31

(WBOC.com) - SALISBURY, Md.- WBOC and FOX21, the local CBS and FOX affiliates found on Channels 16 and 21, on Thursday announced that despite prolonged negotiations, it appears that DIRECTV is unwilling to carry the stations past the end of its current contract. If no agreement is reached, WBOC and FOX21 will no longer be seen on DIRECTV after midnight Thursday, July 31, 2014.

Craig Jahelka, vice president and general manager, explained that WBOC and FOX21 are asking for far less than what DIRECTV pays for national networks like ESPN – even though WBOC's and FOX21's ratings are much higher than ESPN's ratings....

4285841_G.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Is there a standard playbook the television stations go by during these retrans disputes?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

I am not in that area, but, I do not watch anything on FOX and watch a lot of stuff on ESPN. I do watch FS1.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Given these are local stations, I've moved it from the general forum to programing.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Given these are local stations, I've moved it from the general forum to programing.

Thanks.....

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#6 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Less than ESPN that's a new one. Same old stuff they want more for a product that is free with a simple antenna. 

• Paul Secic likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

DIRECTV claims that WBOC is asking for nearly seven times more money as they were getting under the existing contract.

https://support.dire...WQvNUdPVk83LWw=

At least with ESPN, they're throwing in some new channels.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

And here we go again.   Will this madness never end?  Fortunately 90% of the time these "disputes" are settled before the lights go dark, but it's still crazy.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Their comparison to ESPN has no merit.  ESPN is a cable channel and FOX is a local channel period.  For a local to demand near ESPN type fees would get them dropped from every provider out there.  What a joke!

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:15 AM

Their comparison to ESPN has no merit.  ESPN is a cable channel and FOX is a local channel period.  For a local to demand near ESPN type fees would get them dropped from every provider out there.  What a joke!

Yes, and to add it's because locals are meant to be FREE. It never should have been allowed for them to start demanding fees to be on Satellite or Cable, where they get far more viewers than not being on there.

• jimmie57 likes this

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Considering the size of the company, they need DirecTV more than DirecTV needs them. Two channels in a single market doesn't give you a whole lot of bargaining power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • damondlt likes this

#12 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

They do seem to use the same language on both sides of these. Our local Fox and CBS (owned by the same guy) networks) put us through this a couple of years ago, the banners were running right up to midnight of the drop dead date. Of course they did it right before the NFL season started which meant a lot of sports fans thought they were going to lose the two local NFL carrying channels.

The network owner always bemoans how Directv is paying them a lot less than channels that are watched much less, Directv throws out that they are asking for Whatever times more. etc.

I'm not sure though that I agree the networks should be expected to provide them free to Directv. Directv makes money from rebroadcasting these so they shouldn't be allowed to get them for free. For example, I actually cannot get two of my locals with an antenna, so it is very important to me that my cable or sat company be able to provide these (in fact, I switched from DTV to Dish a few years ago when I moved here because at the time DTV did not carry the locals in HD - they do now, and I'm switching back.)

#13 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

What WBOC and FOX 21 don't realize is that DirecTV does not need them. Why should folks in that region pay higher DirecTV bills for those two stations when they basically can throw up an antenna and receive them for free?  Why do they think that they are better than ESPN? That's what I don't understand.

#14 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

I thought it was interesting this happened a couple weeks after DirecTV replaced the NBC affiliate out of Philly with a new startup NBC affiliate WRDE out of Rehoboth Beach DE. Their OTA signal doesn't extend very far out of Delaware though. Might just be a coincidnce..For reference, WBOC is headquartered in Salisbury, MD but serves pretty much the entire Eastern Shore of MD and Virginia plus the southern two counties in Delaware and their signal OTA covers almost the entire area.

Part of WBOC's problem is the management runs the station like its located in a DMA much higher than #142. They have a full HD "newsplex", state of the art weather computers, a bunch of in house news programs, apps for phones and even a helicopter they fly around in. All of this is great for viewers I guess, but it cant be cheap.

I will go back to using an antenna for WBOC like I did when D* didn't even offer locals here prior to October 2010. The only downside is FOX21 comes across as a subchannel and its wide screen but definitely not HD like DirecTV offers, but I'll live.

WMDT (the local ABC affiliate) tried this same move with DirecTV and were taken off on June 7th but were back on the air within 12 hours. WMDT supposedly wanted 4x increase plus D* to carry a 2nd subchannel MeTV (DirecTV carries their first, CW although not in HD). I don't know what the terms of the agreement were but I cannot get MeTV on D* so they didn't get that.

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Local stations now using the fact that ESPN gets $5 per sub as leverage?  ESPN is a national network.. the Delmarva stations are local.. it even says there are approx. 29,000 D* subs in their DMA.  These provider vs. network/station carriage disputes will only continue and get worse.  We're in a capitalistic system and that's how it works.  The ones who get the short stick are the viewers who either lose a network/station and then pay more when rates go up.  Is it time for some sort of 3rd party arbitration procedure to prevent these sorts of carriage renewal/droppage problems?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,365 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

. Is it time for some sort of 3rd party arbitration procedure to prevent these sorts of carriage renewal/droppage problems?

that is Congress job. But if they are willing to help some one, they wound rather help the networks
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I am not in that area, but, I do not watch anything on FOX and watch a lot of stuff on ESPN. I do watch FS1.

I do not watch anything on FOX either.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

What WBOC and FOX 21 don't realize is that DirecTV does not need them. Why should folks in that region pay higher DirecTV bills for those two stations when they basically can throw up an antenna and receive them for free?  Why do they think that they are better than ESPN? That's what I don't understand.

Because most people who have DTV do not want to put up an outside antenna and lose their DVR capability, etc, etc. Some because it's just a pain, some because they don't understand how, some can't get the locals with an antenna.

When it happened here, Dish (it was same thing, different sat company) was bombarded by people angry at them. Dish had a banner pointing to a website showing how to get the locals with an antenna, and many Dish subscribers were outraged - "I pay you over $100 a month for TV, I signed up because I could get all the channels I want and need from you, and now you're telling me to put up an antenna????!!!!"  Someone (not affiliated with the networks or with Dish, I believe it was a guy who does consumer advocate stories in the area, not on the networks or anything owned by their owner) did some polls, and something like 75% of the people thought Dish was to blame. After all, their local network is just local people, right, and here's big bad superpower Dish!

While I don't agree that DTV or Dish should be able to rebroadcast the locals for free, I do believe Congress should set some guidelines/laws etc. that creates fair payment guidelines and prevents viewers from being held hostage. Oh - one other thing that was found in the polling - a pretty sizeable number of subscribers didn't wait for the midnight resolution and changed from Dish to the local cable or Directv.

#19 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

Putting up an OTA antenna and having D* DVR capability don't really have anything to do with each other.. you can easily have both.  I have an HR24, an AM21 (OTA tuner), and 2 OTA antennas and I can record OTA stuff on my HR24.

Not sure what Congress can do other than regulate capitalism..  the market determines prices, customer participation, etc.  Besides the end-customer, it is the provider that suffers since they get tagged negatively if they don't come to an agreement and drop a network.  The networks don't really lose out at all and have everything to gain by complaining about providers when carriage agreements can't get done.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#20 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Putting up an OTA antenna and having D* DVR capability don't really have anything to do with each other.. you can easily have both.  I have an HR24, an AM21 (OTA tuner), and 2 OTA antennas and I can record OTA stuff on my HR24.

You and I know that, but I would guess a majority of Directv users have no idea they can get OTA (and would need OTA defined! ;) ) on their Directtv receivers. My best friend just got DTV installed in his house, and I asked him if he got a Genie. This guy is an experienced chemist and highly technical guy who builds his own computers. His reply? "I don't know, I know two of the boxes they gave me are really small and the other one is a little bigger." It's a box that TV comes from to him, and a fancy VCR. I don't think he is unusual in terms of maybe even the majority of DTV users - we're an anomaly here (I told another friend that I read something on this forum, he has Dish, and he said "You actually go read about satellite providers on the internet? What could people even talk about?"

• jimmie57 likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...