Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WBOC and FOX21 Could Disappear from DIRECTV Channel Lineup After July 31

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

You and I know that, but I would guess a majority of Directv users have no idea they can get OTA (and would need OTA defined! ;) ) on their Directtv receivers. My best friend just got DTV installed in his house, and I asked him if he got a Genie. This guy is an experienced chemist and highly technical guy who builds his own computers. His reply? "I don't know, I know two of the boxes they gave me are really small and the other one is a little bigger." It's a box that TV comes from to him, and a fancy VCR. I don't think he is unusual in terms of maybe even the majority of DTV users - we're an anomaly here (I told another friend that I read something on this forum, he has Dish, and he said "You actually go read about satellite providers on the internet? What could people even talk about?"

This is very true.  When I signed up back in 2008 and they came to install, I was told that there was no locals in my DMA and I sent them packing because neither the installer or the Customer Service rep realized that I could get an HR20 and use an antenna to get the locals I needed.  Rescheduled the appointment.  The new install day came and the installer had to call his wharehouse and ask if there was an HR20 in stock as they were going with the HR21's mostly at that time I think.  I told them if I didnt get an HR20 I didn't want the service.  The driver had to go out of his way 1.5 hours to get the needed HR20.  To this day, I still carry 1 HR20 on my account.  I now have locals and DNS feeds as well.  Most people in Customer Service do not even know what an AM21 is much less that a HR20 carries the needed tuners for OTA.  Not to mention its not real practical for everyone to just have an antenna installed either.  Who do you call to schedule that with and who determines the size of antenna needed?  I no longer have an antenna anymore.  I am sure I will get a smaller one, one of these days again.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Agreement reached

http://www.dbstalk.c...t-with-directv/

#23 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

Update: WBOC and FOX21 Reach Agreement with DIRECTV

(WBOC.com) - SALISBURY, Md.- Craig Jahelka, vice president & general manager of WBOC-TV issued the following statement early Friday: 
"WBOC-TV and FOX21 are pleased to announce we will continue to be available to DIRECTV subscribers. We have reached an agreement designed to secure continued carriage of our top-rated stations on DIRECTV for the foreseeable future.

"We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for the support and understanding our family, friends and neighbors here on Delmarva have demonstrated during the past week."

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...