Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Using Coax?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

My neighbor asked me to help her select and install a new TV. My experience is with DTV, she has Dish. It appears to be a simple configuration, replace the small existing TV with a new 40 – 48” flat screen. However, when Dish installed her system she wanted the receiver to be located on a wall where there was a network junction box and the TV on the opposite wall. I have not looked closely at the configuration yet but it appears there are 3 coax between the dish and the receiver then 1 coax from the receiver to the TV. Replacing the old TV will be simple enough but will she receive HD using coax between the receiver and TV instead of HDMI? Are TV manufacturers phasing out coax connectors? Thanks in advance for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

What model receiver does she have?  HD cannot be through a coaxial cable.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

My neighbor asked me to help her select and install a new TV. My experience is with DTV, she has Dish. It appears to be a simple configuration, replace the small existing TV with a new 40 – 48” flat screen. However, when Dish installed her system she wanted the receiver to be located on a wall where there was a network junction box and the TV on the opposite wall. I have not looked closely at the configuration yet but it appears there are 3 coax between the dish and the receiver then 1 coax from the receiver to the TV. Replacing the old TV will be simple enough but will she receive HD using coax between the receiver and TV instead of HDMI? Are TV manufacturers phasing out coax connectors? Thanks in advance for your help.

She needs 5 RCA cables for Component/audio or a HDMI cable run through the walls to get HD on the new TV.

#4 OFFLINE   SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thanks guys, I'll let her know the best route would be to move the Dish box or stick with SD.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

what the "dish box " model she have ?

#6 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

What model receiver does she have?  HD cannot be through a coaxial cable.

Of course HD can be through a coax cable.  Ever hear of the cable company?  They're not just sending one channel, they're sending *all* the channels through that coaxial cable.  Modern coax has at least 1GB of bandwidth.  That's more than enough to carry the 66Mbps payload of uncompressed 1080i.  And my rooftop antenna delivers HD to my receiver via coaxial cable as well.  And what is that cable coming down from the roof from your dish called?  Oh, yeah.  That's coaxial, too.  And they all carry HD.

What you meant to say is that Dish receivers do not deliver HD to televisions via coaxial cable.  AFAIK, no receivers do.  But this is not a technical issue or a limitation of coaxial cable.  It is, rather, a legal issue.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Of course HD can be through a coax cable.  Ever hear of the cable company?

Neither DISH nor DIRECTV receivers can send modulated HD like the cable company does. You may have noticed that cable boxes don't connect via coax to the TV.

HD modulators are still prohibitively expensive for the typical consumer.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

I'm guessing you're looking at a backfeeding situation and that's why there are so many cables.

Much more needs to be known about the receiver and where the cables are attached to make an educated guess.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Of course HD can be through a coax cable.  Ever hear of the cable company?  They're not just sending one channel, they're sending *all* the channels through that coaxial cable.  Modern coax has at least 1GB of bandwidth.  That's more than enough to carry the 66Mbps payload of uncompressed 1080i.  And my rooftop antenna delivers HD to my receiver via coaxial cable as well.  And what is that cable coming down from the roof from your dish called?  Oh, yeah.  That's coaxial, too.  And they all carry HD.

What you meant to say is that Dish receivers do not deliver HD to televisions via coaxial cable.  AFAIK, no receivers do.  But this is not a technical issue or a limitation of coaxial cable.  It is, rather, a legal issue.

While you're technically and certainly correct...  I don't think this info does anything but confuse the original poster in this particular situation.  Regardless of what is technically possible given the right equipment, the post from the DIRT rep is accurate in how it applies to all current Dish receivers.

• Laxguy likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

I'm guessing you're looking at a backfeeding situation and that's why there are so many cables.

Much more needs to be known about the receiver and where the cables are attached to make an educated guess.

I'll get the specifics of her configuration this weekend then report back.

Thanks for everybody's help so far.

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

While not coax, a pair of these works great getting HD from point A to point B, regardless of the wires you may or may not have.

http://www.actiontec.com/219.html

I used one for years with Dish and other systems. Saved me a ton on extra receiver fees. New price is pretty steep, but ebay deals can be found.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

For an all Dish solution doing whole house - your neighbor should consider the Hopper / Joey setup. Joeys will provide HD (via HDMI)  as well as composite video / analog audio ..

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

For an all Dish solution doing whole house - your neighbor should consider the Hopper / Joey setup. Joeys will provide HD (via HDMI)  as well as composite video / analog audio ..

There are wireless Joeys as well.

#14 OFFLINE   SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

I finally got a chance to go by my neighbor’s and check out her configuration. She does not currently have any HD services from Dish. The receiver is a Dish322 and she has the Smart Pack. If she decides to upgrade we’ll rework her configuration to either a Hopper / Joey setup or relocate the new receiver close enough to the TV to use an HDMI cable.

Thanks for everybody’s help. 

#15 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

I finally got a chance to go by my neighbor’s and check out her configuration. She does not currently have any HD services from Dish. The receiver is a Dish322 and she has the Smart Pack. If she decides to upgrade we’ll rework her configuration to either a Hopper / Joey setup or relocate the new receiver close enough to the TV to use an HDMI cable.

Thanks for everybody’s help. 

Even the Hopper/Joey still needs a HDMI or component cable to the TV

Edited by RBA, 01 August 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

The Joey can be mounted fairly close to the TV.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Joeys are HDMI for HD - period.  Composite video (SD) and analog  / TOSLINK  audio outputs also provided. Hoppers have component video feeds as well as HDMI.

Edited by scooper, 02 August 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

The closest to her current 322 would be a VIP 222 - but that only supports HD at the receiver - the TV2 would be NTSC SD RF or composite video/analog audio.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...