Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ethernet - do I need it connected or not?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

I have 1 HR34 and 4 HR24s. Two of the HR24s have hardwired Ethernet attached while 2 of the HR24s and the HR34 do not. I am having connectivity issues with the Whole Home.

Do I need the Ethernet connected or not? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

The only unit you can connect directly to Ethernet in this system is your HR34. You can not connect your hr24s directly to Ethernet. Unplug them and reboot them. If you cannot connect your HR34 directly, then you must get a DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit to connect the system to the Internet.

All this does assume you are using a single dish and a swim16 to connect all your system as well,which is what you should be using.

Oh and you don't need Internet to use Whole Home Service, but you do for all the on demand and other he extra stuff that's available on the all the DVRs.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

The only unit you can connect directly to Ethernet in this system is your HR34. You can not connect your hr24s directly to Ethernet.

These are both false statements. You can, as an alternative to the built-in DECA, choose to connect via CAT5.

If it was the TS's intention to use DECA, your disconnect and reboot advice is required to switch to DECA.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'm right, his system as implemented needs to have Ethernet disconnected form two units. Then rebooted those dvrs. I did not feel the need to explain in dire detail why that is so, it's not what he asked. He asked a simple question, I gave him a simple answer that will satisfy what he needs to do. Find someone in the dish threads to confuse.
  • sigma1914, JACKIEGAGA and dpeters11 like this

#5 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

OK. As was initially replied undoing the Ethernet connection from the two that have it and rebooting will rest these to use DECA like the other units already are.

If there are some considerations where these units need be on the switched Ethernet fabric this is possible but complex and not supported.

I run dual SWM16s and have one running a DECA cloud and the other provides service to systems on a switched Ethernet fabric. These two network fabrics bridge transparently through the wireless internet connection kit (running wired only) into a centralized backbone switch. This is not an official configuration and the two fabrics must be completely isolated from one another (with respect to the DECA band frequencies) so they bridge at the single point.

If you have reasons why the two 24s cannot be on the DECA fabric (amplified leg due to excessive length as an example) I can help you privately. But unless you have truly mitigating circumstances, putting them all on the DECA fabric REALLY is your best option!

Don "simplicity is best" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

These are both false statements. You can, as an alternative to the built-in DECA, choose to connect via CAT5.

If it was the TS's intention to use DECA, your disconnect and reboot advice is required to switch to DECA.

False statements?  Perhaps on Dish Network world.  I let the TS decide if he wants to "listen" to a person who has never have DirecTV® or to one that had had the DirecTV® service for many years.........

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

I have 1 HR34 and 4 HR24s. Two of the HR24s have hardwired Ethernet attached while 2 of the HR24s and the HR34 do not. I am having connectivity issues with the Whole Home.

Do I need the Ethernet connected or not?

You can't mix & match whole home - it's either all Ethernet or all Coax

Plug the Ethernet into the HR34 as Genies are the only HR that have an internal bridge. Or you need to get a DECA/CCK to connect to your home LAN.

Edited by Drucifer, 26 July 2014 - 05:44 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Our friend Lugnut would disagree with you . . . you can have boxes on Ethernet or the DECA cloud easily.   You just have to know what you're doing.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

But getting it work faultlessly with DirecTV flaky software is the big Q.

You want faultlessly - follow the KISS principle.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

It is actually transparent Drew. In order for the "legacy" equipment to work with adapters it has to be the same packets. Smart TVs and the RVU push pretty much ensure that standard will be adhered to going forward.

The interconnection issues arise as most service techs let alone home subscribers do not fully understand what they need to know to make the hybrid beast work. I was brain dead in that matter when I started. switched Ethernet was just fine thank you. Why go back to networking's stone age on coax? :) Actually a complete end to end infrastructure they control and manage is great logic! OMG. My internal dash light came on. :)

People here edumacated me as did my network engineers at work and as such I have a unique understanding of the rules for doing what I have had to do to make my Hacienda del Toro abode work as I want. I'm still no expert on the technical how it works but I get the logical and that is enough.

I am with your thinking for everyone's home deployment though. Unless they have a "Winchester house" like mine. Use what is supported. And if someone has a deployment like mine well I am glad to share what all of you have shared with me.

Don "so even though it can work bridged, i'll back your play. A simple as possible and fully supported ROCKS" Bolton

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Most likely this installation involves a SWM-16 due to the number of tuners in the system. A proper installation would also add a DECA for connection to the Internet. The use of CAT-5 in this situation, while noble, would require one to (1) know what they are doing and (2) go against prescribed installation requirements.

Since the pain point is MRV (whole home), the proper answer is to disconnect all Ethernet connections and restart all receveivers. Whole Home should start working right away (assuming no other oddities in the coax connectivity). To also enable Internet features, a DECA connection would be added.

As stated many times in the past, while CAT5 may work .. it's really not the right way to go for these installations. Bringing it up time and time again only distracts from best practices.
  • lugnutathome likes this
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Our friend Lugnut would disagree with you . . . you can have boxes on Ethernet or the DECA cloud easily.   

Depends, connect two Genies on ethernet and you have yourself a network loop

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Would that be true if there was no secondary DECA connection involved? Seems to me both Genies would function normally on a switched network as long as they weren't also towing DECA networking as well.

Again, I think it could work but it is so far out of standard and for absolutely everyone rather dumb to try:)

Don "I certainly ain't tryin it thats for sure" Bolton

Depends, connect two Genies on ethernet and you have yourself a network loop

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Would that be true if there was no secondary DECA connection involved? Seems to me both Genies would function normally on a switched network as long as they weren't also towing DECA networking as well.

Again, I think it could work but it is so far out of standard and for absolutely everyone rather dumb to try:)

Don "I certainly ain't tryin it thats for sure" Bolton

Keep in mind that there is no way to disable the DECA on the Genies, is always ON.  It happened to my two HR44s.  Granted, I did not seem to see any errors on my network, but they reported "network loop" under the "more system info" screen with an exclamation point

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

BS filter isolate one Genie to just Ethernet and let the other manage DECA.

Don " Not that I am recommending this" Bolton

Keep in mind that there is no way to disable the DECA on the Genies, is always ON.  It happened to my two HR44s.  Granted, I did not seem to see any errors on my network, but they reported "network loop" under the "more system info" screen with an exclamation point

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

BS filter isolate one Genie to just Ethernet and let the other manage DECA.

Don " Not that I am recommending this" Bolton

Right, but that would mean going to the van to grab one of these bad boys, I just did the easiest thing, unplug ethernet from one of the Genies.  I was just trying to "illustrate" a point.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Gotchya!

(My spare parts shelves down by the wall-o-SWMs is likely like the stash in one's service truck. As I run a non supportable commercial scale installation on a residential account I have amassed a complete set of replacements fron the slope equalizer down through the SWMs themselves) I wish that on nobody :)

Don "band stops, diplexers, and jumper coax OH MY :) " Bolton

Right, but that would mean going to the van to grab one of these bad boys, I just did the easiest thing, unplug ethernet from one of the Genies.  I was just trying to "illustrate" a point.

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hybrid can be done but it's complex and not at all recommend becasue there's virtually no advantage unless you have a massive system.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hybrid can be done but it's complex and not at all recommend becasue there's virtually no advantage unless you have a massive system.

This ^ we can agree on...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

YUP!

This ^ we can agree on...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...