Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Manual Recording gets confused when changing duration

manual recording duration

Best Answer texasbrit , 26 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

i think this is a bug, but you need to post it in the thread for the software release you are running. not in this general thread....

Those release specific-threads are at the top of the page when you go to the discussion threads...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marrelli

Marrelli

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

I posted this at Directv's forum but was informed that Directv monitors these forums. This is the glitch I encounter on my HR23:

I record MLB games as manual recordings.

On Thursday 7/24 I set the following:

When:  Today

Start: 11 PM

Duration 2 hours 10 minutes

If during the game, it appears it is running late, I will change the duration.

If I change the duration before midnight, there is no problem.

After midnight, I changed the duration to 2 hours 40 minutes  (the game was running late)

However, when I go to watch the game, it has the duration on the scale as 26 hours 40 minutes.

If I go back into recording options, indeed it was changed from 2 hours 40 minutes to 26 hours 40 minutes.

Here is where I think the error is made by the receiver software:

When I edit it after midnight, it still has the "When" as Today instead of "Yesterday"

Even though it actually started the day before, it is adding the 2 hours 40 minutes to the 11 PM on Friday instead of Thursday.

Reporting this in hopes of Directv fixing this.

Art

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

What channel are you recording on, and why are you using a manual recording in the first place? Generally speaking they are much more problematic than just setting a regular recording with some padded time.

#3 OFFLINE   Marrelli

Marrelli

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Well, I never had problems doing this on my Directivo.

For this case, it was an Extra Innings channel that have the games lasting 6 hours. Naturally, I don't want to record the game that long.

Also, in this case I recorded 2 other programs (2 tuner receiver) for the first hour of the game. Game actually started at 10:10.

Both cases have the Manual Record the best option.  Bottom line is that their is a glitch in their software once you pass midnight and want to change the duration.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Now that I can see the bigger picture, I think I know what the source of the issue might be...

The first issues is the extra innings channel. They are not like regular channels they go on and off line and such and really screw with manual recordings. As such, because their guide data is different, people have posted a few weird quirks over the years sometimes on these channels with manual recordings. I don't think it will ever change to be honest. (There's an entire debate in there on how manual recordings work, and let's just say they don't work like I and you think they really should, but since I never use them I don't really find it an issue myself.)

You should also get the RSN channel that has the game while the game is on, I'd suggest figuring out what channel that is and setting your recording for that channel, but would need to make sure its on. That could fix the issue. I suggest padding it for at least an hour anyway.

Personally I record a ton of sports and I always pad all my sports for three hours, I don't want to miss ot.

Directv TiVo never could record properly with wishlists for sports, so I found them far far inferior since it failed one of the most important functions in the world to me, and yet every other DVR I have ever had has done it superbly. It's all in how you use them.

The best solution is if you can get an upgrade to a genie for free. Five tuners and twice the recording space, you will never have to worry about conflicts, and will never have to worry about letting it record the entire six hours. Also they have a fantastic sports search and auto record system to grab any teams games similar to how a whish list was supposed to work for tivos. Only DirecTVs works. Oh, and genies are faster than your current DVR too. ;)
  • juniormaj likes this

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,698 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

After midnight, I changed the duration to 2 hours 40 minutes  (the game was running late)

Next time you do this see if the date of the stop time has changed. If it has, this would add 24 hours to the length of the recording.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:39 PM   Best Answer

i think this is a bug, but you need to post it in the thread for the software release you are running. not in this general thread....

Those release specific-threads are at the top of the page when you go to the discussion threads...

• Marrelli likes this

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

I posted this at Directv's forum but was informed that Directv monitors these forums. 

Not this one.  Only the software specific threads.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Marrelli

Marrelli

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Next time you do this see if the date of the stop time has changed. If it has, this would add 24 hours to the length of the recording.

There is no date of stop time.

#9 OFFLINE   Marrelli

Marrelli

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Thanks, I will post it there.

#10 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Not this one.  Only the software specific threads.  

Yes, see my post.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...