Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Directv installer replace my current Dish dish?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Making final preps to call Directv and make the move from Dish to Directv. As I was thinking through how to make the transistion as smooth as possible (e.g. wait until the Directv install is complete and working before calling and cancelling Dish) it occurred to me that I just assume the DTV installer would just put the dish where the current DIsh dish is, since the cables are all already run for Dish and I assume he'll use those (3 TVs in very different parts of the house, upstairs and down) - but then it occurred to me that he may balk at removing the current Dish dish to put the DTV dish there.

So - will the installer require someone to remove that dish before he will place the DTV dish there? (It is the best location for several reasons.)  Or will he just take it off and replace it?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Generally they aren't going to remove an old dish dish. And depending on how its installed I might not want them to anyway, I'd probably want them to leave at least the foot if they did for weather proofing reasons, because a DIRECTV dish mount wouldn't use the same holes.

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Making final preps to call Directv and make the move from Dish to Directv. As I was thinking through how to make the transistion as smooth as possible (e.g. wait until the Directv install is complete and working before calling and cancelling Dish) it occurred to me that I just assume the DTV installer would just put the dish where the current DIsh dish is, since the cables are all already run for Dish and I assume he'll use those (3 TVs in very different parts of the house, upstairs and down) - but then it occurred to me that he may balk at removing the current Dish dish to put the DTV dish there.

So - will the installer require someone to remove that dish before he will place the DTV dish there? (It is the best location for several reasons.)  Or will he just take it off and replace it?

Thanks.

Directv uses a larger dia. mast than DISH so it will be a new mounting location. Directv satellites are more eastward than DISH Western Arc.

Edited by RBA, 27 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Directv satellites are more eastward than DISH Western Arc.

And by the same token, the DISH Eastern Arc dishes face more easterly than the DIRECTV slimline.

The old dish and mount will be left alone unless you make other arrangements ($$).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

That's too bad - it's a really good spot for the dish and already has the cables running to it. On a corner of my sunroom where I can reach the dish from my deck and clean snow and ice off easily if needed with a long pole and rag. hmmmm - will Dish require me to send it back? I can't reach it to remove it myself.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,817 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

That's too bad - it's a really good spot for the dish and already has the cables running to it. On a corner of my sunroom where I can reach the dish from my deck and clean snow and ice off easily if needed with a long pole and rag. hmmmm - will Dish require me to send it back? I can't reach it to remove it myself.

Just the base / foot pad is very small in area and the new one could probably be replaced right next to that one ( only 3 or 4 inches different in location ).

If you remove the old base it can leak thru the holes the screws caused. I have 3 spots that a dish has been. This makes me have 1 new dish complete and 2 other dish foot pads bolted to my roof.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

will Dish require me to send it back? I can't reach it to remove it myself.

Most likely Dish will want their LNB back if you can reach it safely.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Most likely Dish will want their LNB back if you can reach it safely.  

Yep, the DIRT rep on here discussed that with me. However, since it is in a place that would be very challenging for me to get to, they've said no problem leaving it. My wife, however, is not crazy about an unused second dish sitting on the roof. (BTW - is there no equivalent to the DIRT reps on here for DTV? Those guys are VERY helpful - I've used them exclusively for my Dish issues, orders, etc. rather than call Dish.)

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Nope, there are no DirecTV® (official) reps here.  If you go to the DirecTV® website, you many have the option to chat during regular business hours 

It amazes me why on earth would Dish want the LNB back!!!!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

It amazes me why on earth would Dish want the LNB back!!!!

Maybe it was started during a time where the LNB cost more to make and they re-used them? Or they thought it might limit illegal account sharing by leaving former customers a non-functional dish?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Maybe it was started during a time where the LNB cost more to make and they re-used them? Or they thought it might limit illegal account sharing by leaving former customers a non-functional dish?

DirecTV never asks for LNBs back and you have too see how much stuff gets turned on voluntarily by the techs
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

You might want to offer the tech a tip in exchange for removing your old dish.  If he accepts, he would would leave the base attached to your roof and just remove the dish, mast & LNB.  This way, you don't have to worry about roof leaks.

#13 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

You might want to offer the tech a tip in exchange for removing your old dish.  If he accepts, he would would leave the base attached to your roof and just remove the dish, mast & LNB.  This way, you don't have to worry about roof leaks.

That's a good idea - and it would be worth it to me to pay the price of a tip (hmmm - wonder if $20 would be enough? No idea.......) to not have that Dish dish up there after the DTV install.

How much do you guys think would be fair/appropriate to ask him to remove all but the baseplate? Its in the same location as where I expect him to put the DTV dish.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

First, Dish wold not come to remove your dish (neither would DirecTV®), second the tech would be happy to remove your Dish antenna for $20.00 specially if it makes his job  that much easier 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

First, Dish wold not come to remove your dish (neither would DirecTV®), second the tech would be happy to remove your Dish antenna for $20.00 specially if it makes his job  that much easier 

Yeah, I knew neither provider wants to remove a dish for me, and Dish says return the LNB if you can safely get it but otherwise don't worry about it. But if the install tech would remove the Dish dish, the wife will be very happy to not have an unused dish on the roof. And - Happy Wife, Happy Life. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

When I had cancelled Direct and moved to DISH because my contract was up and Direct didn't want to really negotiate any real discount for staying, DISH did remove my Direct dish at my request. He did not hesitate and I had not offered a "tip". He did install the DISH dish fairly close to where the Direct one had been, so it may have been to his advantage to remove i, I don't know. When I came back to Direct, just about a year later, I removed the DISH dish myself and left the mounts.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...